ace 250 vs fischer f2 (which pinpoints better)

Foiled

I am thinking of upgrading to one of these two machines and am VERY interested in the pinpointing features of both. mainly because this feature isnt included on my lowly bounty hunter qd2

ALSO interested on how these machines work for people in fresh water beaches etc. i see the coils are submersible but i assume this means the actual machine portion itself isnt water proof

Thank you in advanced for any info! HH

I have both the Fisher F2 and the Garrett Ace 250, both are fine beginner machines and it really comes down to personal preference. I personally like the F2, but my dad prefers the Ace 250.

I think the pinpointing is easier on the F2 since it literally pinpoints to the center of the coil and it tells you in inches how close you are to the object you are pinpointing.

The coils on most detectors are waterproof, however the entire control box isn't waterproof. You wouldn't want to hunt in anything more than a stream otherwise you risk ruining your detector if you accidentally dropped it in the water. If you want a completely waterproof detector, you'll have to step up to something like the Garrett AT Pro.

Good luck on your decision!

If you lift the coil....

to where the signal's the weakest, the coin is always in the little notch in the center of the coil on the Ace. Otherwise, there are several interesting methods-but I prefer the easy one.

I have both the Fisher F2 and the Garrett Ace 250, both are fine beginner machines and it really comes down to personal preference. I personally like the F2, but my dad prefers the Ace 250.

I think the pinpointing is easier on the F2 since it literally pinpoints to the center of the coil and it tells you in inches how close you are to the object you are pinpointing.

The coils on most detectors are waterproof, however the entire control box isn't waterproof. You wouldn't want to hunt in anything more than a stream otherwise you risk ruining your detector if you accidentally dropped it in the water. If you want a completely waterproof detector, you'll have to step up to something like the Garrett AT Pro.

Good luck on your decision!

The ACE250 also pinpoints dead on and gives you depth readings. Don't take away that the ACE doesn't pinpoint well. For the money, The F2 may be a better deal, they are so close in performance that you really only have to decide if you want the VDI (on the F2) or NO VDI and how much you want to pay. As far as reliability, I had a DD coil (add-on) failure on the ACE but no other issues in 2 1/2 years. Garrett customer (dis)service has made me decide to NEVER buy another Garrett machine though.

If you can get the F2 package with the additional coils, I'd do it. Check with the sponsors and go with your best deal.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

The VDI alone in my opinion makes the F2 excel far above! I've learned to use the VDI to tell what's trash. It's usually right on as far as trash goes. Everytime I go against my better judgement from what the VDI says I dig trash. Then I'm like I knew I should have listened to the VDI. Also the recovery speed makes it excel. Go to utube and type in ace 250 vs fisher f2. Helped me decide!

I own both machines and you won't go wrong with either. Price wise they are really close. Check with the sponsors on here under the classifieds as that will be your best deal. I actually prefer the doorbell sound the Ace 250 makes. A lot of people don't care for that, but I'm used to it. I have found silver rings and tons of clad with both. Good luck on the purchase!

Anything you use can find you great treasure if you learn it well, but I think the F2 is one of, if not the best value on the market, today.

Pinpoints accurately and easily, better target separation and rapid recovery than most, VDI numbers on the screen and not just icons, and multiple coil packages that are ridiculously priced compared to most are just some of the top reasons.

I bought mine as a backup/take on vacation unit only, but it worked so well and was so much fun to use it didn't work out that way for me.
I also use others, but the F2 has also found me some of the greatest treasure in my career, also.

This is a good thread about the F2. I just purchased one for my wife yesterday. I bought it with a DD and a sniper coil for 230 shipped to me. Does it have a headphone jack? I never looked to see if it did or not

I have used both and I personally like the way the ace 250 pinpoints better than the f2, I believe that if people read and understood the manual and learn the detector better they wouldn't cut the ace down as much.
I will add: The ace 250 has been the best selling detector ever. It has held that title for a few years now.

I have used neither. I also have the "lowly" QDII and haven't had any problem pinpointing with it even though it doesn't have the "pinpoint" feature. I think this is because I spend a lot of time practicing before I really started digging a lot of targets. I still go practice pinpointing in my yard with some targets I made out of cardboard with washers, coins, nails, pull tabs, etc taped to the underside. My wife on the other hand can't get the hang of it and she has probably practiced more than me. It was just something I picked up easy.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't upgrade but my point is that which one has the better pinpoint feature is probably more dependent on you than the machine. Maybe you could find someone close that has both machines and give them a try.

BTW, before you take that QDII to the dumpster, send me a PM. :lol: My wife would just love me if I had another one. LOL

I have used neither. I also have the "lowly" QDII and haven't had any problem pinpointing with it even though it doesn't have the "pinpoint" feature. I think this is because I spend a lot of time practicing before I really started digging a lot of targets. I still go practice pinpointing in my yard with some targets I made out of cardboard with washers, coins, nails, pull tabs, etc taped to the underside. My wife on the other hand can't get the hang of it and she has probably practiced more than me. It was just something I picked up easy.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't upgrade but my point is that which one has the better pinpoint feature is probably more dependent on you than the machine. Maybe you could find someone close that has both machines and give them a try.

BTW, before you take that QDII to the dumpster, send me a PM. :lol: My wife would just love me if I had another one. LOL

in fact my qd2 is getting passed to my girlfriend! lol

This is a good thread about the F2. I just purchased one for my wife yesterday. I bought it with a DD and a sniper coil for 230 shipped to me. Does it have a headphone jack? I never looked to see if it did or not

sorry, missed this. YEP! it has a headphone jack, and i highly recommend using them. those tones will tell you alllll you need to know.

Anything you use can find you great treasure if you learn it well, but I think the F2 is one of, if not the best value on the market, today.

Pinpoints accurately and easily, better target separation and rapid recovery than most, VDI numbers on the screen and not just icons, and multiple coil packages that are ridiculously priced compared to most are just some of the top reasons.

I bought mine as a backup/take on vacation unit only, but it worked so well and was so much fun to use it didn't work out that way for me.
I also use others, but the F2 has also found me some of the greatest treasure in my career, also.

Man just when I had decided on a Compadre for a backup, this F2 talk is making question it?...

According to who and based on what?

According to Garrett (they should know how many they sell), and based off of their sales on this planet.

picture.php

The picture is off of the Garrett website...

Awesome, thanks. BTW I use headphones with my Technetiks so there is no way Id let her go without using headphones. Shes been walking with me when I go out and she is really starting to understand the how to's.

Back
Top Bottom