MXT, a noise monster?

Rudy

Admin
The MXT is a very high gain machine. More gain also means more tendency to get hits on small trash items and even hot rocks. This is one reason the MXT has a reputation for being noisy.

Newbies have a tendency to run the MXT "maxed out" and then complain about how noisy it is. :roll:

The noise can often be alleviated by just backing down the gain. People hate to do that, as they think this means less depth. Think of the gain control like the gas pedal on your car. Do you always drive with the pedal to the floor? I would hope not. ;)

On most detectors the Transmit power is fixed by design and we can only adjust the receive side gain. On the MXT (and probably the M6), this one control really has multiple functions.

From the minimum up to the factory preset, the sensitivity is progressively being increased, as is the audio target volume.

When you get into the "+" range on the gain control, several other things start happening simultaneously: The audio gain is increased further (boosted), until you eventually lose audio modulation. That is, the ability to have a deep target whisper to you over the earphones. Also at the same time, the Pre-amp gain is also increased. Hey you XLT and DFX users, the MXT has adjustable Pre-amp gain too. ;)

It is better to run with a stable threshold and then increase the sensitivity to get a better TID once you've found an interesting target. Your MXT will run a lot quieter.

Also, set up your threshold control until it is barely audible.

Hey Rudy, Thanks for posting this. I have a brand new MXT300 and my biggest (actually only) complaint is that it is soooo noisy. I just set my gain to 9.5, there is an arrow there so I assumed that is what they suggest. Where do you run yours at? or does it change depending where you are detecting?
I do run the Threshhold at just a whisper, so its more the Gain I am curious about playing with.

Hey Rudy, Thanks for posting this. I have a brand new MXT300 and my biggest (actually only) complaint is that it is soooo noisy. I just set my gain to 9.5, there is an arrow there so I assumed that is what they suggest. Where do you run yours at? or does it change depending where you are detecting?
I do run the Threshhold at just a whisper, so its more the Gain I am curious about playing with.

Hi there. I think White's made a mistake in putting the arrow that high up. It is more than usually needed.

I run mine at different settings, depending on the situation. At parks and school yards I typically crank it to between 8 and 9. It seems like a good compromise between depth and trash. If I find something interesting but the VDI moves around, I'll crank it into the + and take small swings to see if I can firm up the VDI.

In clean ground I may run around +2 or so, as long as the threshold is smooth.

In seeded competition hunts I back it off to around 4. Less interference from other detectors and the targets are near the surface anyway.

Thanks for your tips. I learn something new about the detector every day.

Hey Rudy,
I'm a newbie at this but I've noticed on my DFX-300 when working the beach and set on factory "coin/beach" I get the threshold tone at a low volume and notice it blanks out now and then during a swing. Am I correct in thinking that this is the machine descriminating? Every once in a while when it blanks out I will rescan on pinpoint mode and pull up a nickle.

Jeff :?:

Hey Rudy,
I'm a newbie at this but I've noticed on my DFX-300 when working the beach and set on factory "coin/beach" I get the threshold tone at a low volume and notice it blanks out now and then during a swing. Am I correct in thinking that this is the machine descriminating? Every once in a while when it blanks out I will rescan on pinpoint mode and pull up a nickle.

Jeff :?:

Hi Jeff,

I am not too familiar with the DFX but yes, it sounds like it discriminated something in the sand.

If you can't pick up the nickel in discriminate mode but you can find it in all-metal mode, and the nickel is not too deep, then I'd say the discrimination is set too high in that program. If it discriminates out nickels then it will not find most gold jewelry.

Hi Jeff,

I am not too familiar with the DFX but yes, it sounds like it discriminated something in the sand.

If you can't pick up the nickel in discriminate mode but you can find it in all-metal mode, and the nickel is not too deep, then I'd say the discrimination is set too high in that program. If it discriminates out nickels then it will not find most gold jewelry.

Thanx Rudy, I will try some manual settings to learn what works best instead of depending on the factory settings.

Jeff

mxt

i had the chance to use the mxt, all i ever found was trash and rusty bottlecaps i must be the only 1 around that is not impressed or i am just too dumb and impatient. i am using a prism 11 as my go to detecor:?:

It's the SAT

Let's start out explaining what SAT is. SAT is an acronym that stands for Self Adjusting Threshold, or how quickly the threshold volume is returned back, after the detector goes over a disturbance. This disturbance could be a momentary change in ground mineralization, etc. Whatever causes the threshold volume to change.

On the MXT, the SAT speed is fixed in C&J and in Relic mode. While it is adjustable -only- in Prospecting mode. It is controlled by a dual purpose knob. In C&J and Relic modes the knob adjusts -only- the Discrimination setting. While in Prospecting mode, the knob only adjusts the SAT speed as the Prospecting mode is an ALL METAL motion mode.

The C&J mode uses a faster SAT speed than the Relic mode. This is the main reason the MXT seems noisier in the C&J mode than in Relic mode.

Back
Top Bottom