Looking for silver rings...stupid gold keeps getting in the way!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Found a new park today to hunt, drove a little bit and ended up in Kansas City, Kansas...not Missouri.
Looks about the same to me...trees, birds, all the usual stuff.
I headed straight for the basketball court because these have been good to me for awhile.

20130315_134326.jpg

Fired up the F2 and no EMI issues at all so max sense, lots of garbage iron signals here too so I knocked that out and away we go.
The first thing I discover is this is one real trashy park.
Signals of all kinds everywhere as I walked from the parking lot to the court area.
Lots of high tones which I love, but a whole bunch of these were those large screw on bottle caps or pop tops.
I also picked up a few dimes on the way, and several copper pennies.
When I got to the court there was even a higher volume of trash, again lots of high tone bottle tops and large can slaw and full cans too, but I avoided digging most of that big stuff.
I spent a few hours walking around this thing and I was amazed at all the high tones that were actually good coin targets
Quarters, dimes and copper pennies galore.
I have been in areas that had tons of pennies before, but 90% of the ones I found around this court and in other places in the park were 1960's, 70's and early 80's copper.
That was different, but enjoyable, because parks like this with this many high tone signals and coins means very few hunters hit this place, or a few had and gave up because of all of the trash, or if it was hunted they were using bigger coils and masking in a park with this much trash is a big problem for those that did.
The last park I found like this gave up lots of high tone coins and other targets with the larger coil, but many more coins and 3 gold rings when I came back with the sniper coil, went slow and dug a good bit of trash to get it out of the way.

This is a pretty big park with several areas to hunt, and I could probably spend several hunts and many hours just hunting around this big court, but today I was just wandering around kind of gridding in the court area but really just looking to pick up as many high tone signals that I could.

I was on a mission to find a silver ring because I have not been able to dig my first one this year.
Ok, the cold weather and 2 feet of snow had a lot to do with it, and I did find a silver bracelet which was cool, and a couple of junk rings this year, too, plus 2 gold rings including one loaded with diamonds.
Not too bad at all, but I try to be a well rounded hunter and as far as I was concerned it was important to find that first silver ring for 2013 and get it over with, already.

Decent park, tons of high tones, copper pennies and other high tone coins galore, the sniper coil was sifting through the trash nicely so my chances of finding something silver and finger sized were pretty good.
I hung out there a few hours, dug over 50 coins, mostly those high tones and a huge amount of copper pennies, a good bit of those pop tops too, the good sounding ones, anyway, then I got bored.
A change of scenery was in order so I moved over to a tot lot where I found several quarters, dimes, and pennies too but most of those were zincolns.
That was refreshing, easy to find quarters just under the chips.
Maybe nobody hunted this place at all before.
There is another tot lot in this park, too, just on the other side of a picnic pavilion, on a future hunt I will hit both of these hard with my Compadre.
Some of the dimes and pennies I found were pretty deep so who knows what these things really hold if I take my time.

I moved over to the picnic pavilion and found the same deal...tons of trash, signals galore including foil, can slaw and large cans, and of course about a billion of those high tone screw tops and pop tops.
There were also pop tops of all kinds on top of the soil, along with other trash, but I still ended up finding a ton more coins in between all that trash, including quarters, dimes and a bunch more copper pennies.
Man, this was another area I could just camp out and work like a dog, dig all the solid good signals and then start removing the trash to see what else is hiding.
I bet there is a lot...but again that will be left for future hunts.

I stayed around this pavilion for awhile, ate a sandwich for lunch, dug some more coins but no rings of any kind and then kids started coming into the area and the questions began.

"What is that?"
A metal detector

"What are you looking for?"
Metal

"What kind of metal?"
Coins

"Coins are metal?"
"What are you going to do with those coins?"
Spend them

"Spend them on what?"
OK, I gotta leave now.

Geesh...I weep for the upcoming generation.

I left that place and walked back over for one more try at the basketball court.
By this time I had found close to 100 coins, most of them copper pennies and higher plus a wheatie, a bus pass, a couple of toy cars, and a very cool medallion that some kid won at some kind of olympics in 6th grade that I wish I could give back.
Probably meant a lot to him/her.
But still no silver ring.

By this time some kids were playing at one end of the full size court so worked the area on the other side behind a fence with the little energy I had left.

The reason the fence was there is because about 15 yards past the basket on this side was a nice drop down a hill into a little flat area below and I am sure the city put up the fence because it was a drag to keep running down there for loose balls.
However the fence was new looking, and when I hunted this court earlier I noticed all kinds of garbage and coins were in the ground here too, so people did sit on this side in the grass for a long time before the fence went up.

I was fading fast, it actually was in the high 70's at this point and I sure don't have my summer hunting energy reserves built up yet, thank you winter lay off.

I was going to dig a few more signals, high tones mostly, still looking for lightning to strike and I could find that stupid silver ring.
A few more coins, a couple pieces of trash and then I got a nice sounding tone and solid 32 on the screen.
In this park that would usually mean some small piece of can slaw, nickels are usually a 33 and the two I dug already were that 33...but it sure did sound solid.

What the heck, the diamond ring I found which is worth over a grand and the best thing I ever found was a 32, also, and I have to dig all the trash I can, especially the good sounding trash or the what ifs will surely get to me later, so I bend down and dig a small plug and flip it up out of the way.

I look in the hole and see the end of a clean looking small silver chain.
Well, alrighty then, not a ring but at least it's silver and a precious metal.

I pulled it out and saw that there are two ends but no clasp so I know why this thing was lost, but something was a little strange as I looked at it in my hand with the sun shining upon it.

It was silvery looking but not really silver, and it sure was clean but it was not golden yellow, either.
I looked for a mark and on one of the end pieces I saw something that made me go a little weak in the knees for a sec...14k Italy!

That diamond ring was my first white gold piece, evidently I had just found my second!
5.8 grams on the scale when I got it home.

I guess 32 on my F2 is going to be my favorite number for awhile, and I am still a little miffed that I still haven't found my first silver ring for the year.
Alright, If you believe that, I got a bridge for sale we need to talk about.

3 pieces of gold for the year and hunting season is now only starting for us around here.

Gonna be a great summer!
HH

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,235
  • P1030999.jpg
    P1030999.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,236
  • P1030988.jpg
    P1030988.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,227
  • P1030984.jpg
    P1030984.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,222
Strong work. I can see the future. Your next hunt will only bring more gold....

Bummer.

:)

Hey Digger27, why don't you make a trip up here to Michigan for a week, and bring that 70* weather with you.

I'm getting tired of all this snow we're getting. I'm about to swing over to Penn and skin me a groundhog to make a hat that will keep me ears warm. I swear he was snow blind when they pulled him out of his house.

I'd sooner trust a beaver....

Oh, great finds btw. Looks like you found another honey hole. :grin:

Sorry to hear about the gold getting in the way. Better luck next time. :lol:

Thanks all!
I might meet a club friend at Swope today and maybe climb up a mountain and look for silver coins.
I also have a need to find a Barber this year...and also an itch to find some relics.
"Sigh"
So much to find, so little time and energy to do it!

I'm jealous, I need to start digging more solid trashy signals and stop being lazy!

I know enough about my detectors to avoid digging tons of trash, I think, but without x-ray vision you really never know so I still end up digging my share...more than my share, really.
Most of my gold rings and chains of all kinds, silver and gold, were all trash signals that luckily I was willing to dig.
I also learned my lesson about masking and real trashy sites awhile ago, and it saps my energy pretty good digging so many targets on hunts, good and bad, but sometimes it pays off.

I read a post about 2 years ago where a member and long time hunter stated that the best thing he ever found was a foil signal and that affected me deeply so I changed.

steve in so az said it best....
"I am out here to dig, not just to swing!"

Hey Digger27, why don't you make a trip up here to Michigan for a week, and bring that 70* weather with you.

No thanks, spent my first 25 years in Michigan and I remember the winters.
I lost my wallet once getting out of my car that I parked in front of our house around Thanksgiving.
Found it sitting on the street one morning right next to my car door exactly where I had dropped it in mid April when all the snow finally melted.

April you say?

I just woke up this morning to find 2" of fresh snow has dropped on me overnight. Just a day or so ago I could see green grass peaking out in my front yard and the city park down the street was starting to look promising, but not now.

*Sigh* I guess I will have just have to wait until April and spend every waking day and night catching up with the days I lost due to snow days.

Keep up the great work. Silver is within your reach. I wonder what's behind the fence line on that small slope? Looks promising....

GL&HH

April you say?

I just woke up this morning to find 2" of fresh snow has dropped on me overnight. Just a day or so ago I could see green grass peaking out in my front yard and the city park down the street was starting to look promising, but not now.

*Sigh* I guess I will have just have to wait until April and spend every waking day and night catching up with the days I lost due to snow days.

Keep up the great work. Silver is within your reach. I wonder what's behind the fence line on that small slope? Looks promising....

GL&HH

Oh man I wish I was there now!! We've gotten probably 15 inches since March began up here in Minnesota and supposed to get 6 more inches monday with the high for this week being in the 20's!:(:mad:

Back
Top Bottom