Mxt

narrowroad

I have a new MXT on the way and I have been reading up on the machine beforehand. I am pleased to see there aren't too many problem questions on the forum, which means it should be a great machine.
The only thing I have heard is that the stock 12" coil is too big and is awkward, is this a common complaint? What would be better?
Any other pros and cons for the MXT would be appreciated. Thanks.

I own a 12 inch coil. This is a great coil if you're relic hunting at a clean site. It does go deep, but it's a little hefty. I park and beach hunt with a BigFoot, unless it's an older park and then I use a 6X10 elliptical most often.

I use the stock 9.5 coil, for general hunting, the 6 x 10 DD would be a better choice though, I don't have one yet, it's on my list. I have a 4 x6 DD shooter coil, it's great for getting in close to metal poles fences etc. , but you can't cover any serious real estate with it, it's made to efficiently scan small areas, that you really want to work close, it is great in a real trashy environment, where you might have multiple targets per square foot, lets you sort through them better than the 9.5. The problem with the larger coils, is only when you have multiple targets underneath the coil, then they act weird, until you get some of them dug up. But the large coil you have should be great at covering real estate, just dont expect to hunt nail infested cellar holes, or pull tab infested ground with it. Rich.

Love my MXT. I am new and just have the stock coil and it has been great for what I do. Pinpointing is spot on 95% of the time. Looking forward to getting other coils for it and an inline pinpointer.

Well, I got the machine today and I went into my backyard with it. I did find one dime, 4 bottle caps and a deep piece of an old tin can, but I found the pinpointing hard with such a big coil. I am not going to panic yet, but it look slike there will be a steep learning curve.

Another question I have is...when you find a target how do you get the VDI to settle down? I found that it was jumping all over the place on most of the hits I had as you have to keep swinging the coil over the target to get the signal. i sort of wish you could just hold it directly over the target once you have pinpointed to get a solid VDI reading. Maybe that sounds backwards.

Also I find the machine to be REALLY LOUD, I don't wear headphones and I felt like I was waking up the neighborhood, I finally went in and got some duct tape to cover the speaker.

Anyway, I have the whole summer to figure it out, hopefully I can find some time to swing.

The MXT does have very healthy lungs. LOL

The new large coil is not well suited for anything but fairly clean areas. In areas with too many targets, you'll get a lot of target masking making pin pointing the desirable target somewhat difficult and can also result in some VDI instability. The 6X9 DD is my all time favorite coil. Not quite as deep as the 950 coil, but it have better ground coverage and superb target separation.

Make sure to read Reno Chris' MXT FAQs. It is an excellent adjunct to the MXT User Manual and the Engineer's Notes. The FAQs can be found on Reno Chris' web site, along with other useful MXT stuff.
http://nevada-outback-gems.com/MXT_files/MXT_basepage.htm

LOL , "REALLY LOUD" I think the MXT is 3x louder than the classic, you can hear it at the next park over !! use the headphones, if you wanna control the volume ! Jumpin vdi #'s USUALLY mean junk, solid locks are what you want, or at least a solid smooth tone, with a fluctuating vdi. practice your pinpoint, watch the signal strength bars, when they're at the tallest, it should be center. Sometimes the high pitch and signal strength bars don't match up, the strength bars seem to indicate a more accurate pinpoint, for me. Using the high pitch to pinpoint, it can be off two inches or so, a weeks worth of practice, and you'll have it figured out !! Rich.

I went out for about an hour today with it again at a sports ground. I had a bit better luck, I worked on the pinpointing and was pretty impressed with the accuracy, although again, I don't know why it has to be sooo loud. Eventually I went to the truck and pulled out some duct tape to cover the speaker.
I did dig a couple of deeper (6-7") targets that read as coins and they turned out to be old tin and a chuck of round iron the size of a large washer, so i have got some learning to do with the VDI too.

I don't know why it has to be sooo loud. Eventually I went to the truck and pulled out some duct tape to cover the speaker.

I use Rat Phones with a limiter circuit on my MXT. I usually run them wide open and let the limiter protect my ears on the shallow targets and while pinpointing. Running the phones at full volume helps hear the whispers. I've also got a switch to take out the limiter when I use my much quieter IDX.

You are reading the VDI correctly. On mine many times a 74 is a deeper can, just raise the coil on these readings. On the cans I can raise the coil 5-6-7 inches and still get a good signal. A coin sized object will disappear and I dig. Rob

I don't know why it has to be sooo loud. Eventually I went to the truck and pulled out some duct tape to cover the speaker.

I use Rat Phones with a limiter circuit on my MXT. I usually run them wide open and let the limiter protect my ears on the shallow targets and while pinpointing. Running the phones at full volume helps hear the whispers. I've also got a switch to take out the limiter when I use my much quieter IDX.

You are reading the VDI correctly. On mine many times a 74 is a deeper can, just raise the coil on these readings. On the cans I can raise the coil 5-6-7 inches and still get a good signal. A coin sized object will disappear and I dig. Rob

That is some good advice, i had never thought of that, Thanks!

6x10 DD

Using the 6x10 DD Eclipse for all day hunting. Separates targets nearby very good depending on the search pattern.

If the targets are shallow and nearby, just lift the loop a little a/o change sweep angle.;)

(But you can lift the 12" loop, too.:tumble: )

Back
Top Bottom