Awww come on ML!

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Ive been watching a thread on another forum about the increase in price on the Xcal in Jan. Also more on some sites like this... http://placerlode.net/2012/12/22/mi...rease-for-january-2013-lock-in-low-price-now/

This has to be another ML push for money. Just plain supply and demand. They stopped the Sov and Exp are they trying to make it up? Or is it another marketing way to get you to get off the fence and buy one before Jan because they know they dont have anything new coming out.... but others do. If they get your money first ..... you wont have it after the new year when we KNOW new machine will be issued by other companies? Smart.... but im not biting because i know if nothing comes out i like then i could easily make it up out there IF i wanted an Xcal again. For those on the fence .... think about it.

Dew

Not sure what is going on? Do they have a price to pay for all that experimenting and patenting? Excal had already previously went up a hundred dollars.Knock out the sov gt and make more money on excals.Don't believe they cost any more to build than a sov. gt? Likely more expensive to manufacture a sov.I know if gold drops some of these sellers of machines are in deep trouble. Sov loyalists are probably gonna look into other options(companies).We shall see!:roll:

True RN. ML knows some of the issues with the Xcal as well..... what we getting for our money.... design improvements? They always have an option to reintroduce a Sov if they see a need. Im hoping companies have taken water hunters and gold prices more seriously this year and give us something HOT on gold for our needs. Price increases.... doesnt encourage me to buy unless its something new and IMPROVED.

Dew

price raise

i do not see any boby complane when the price of gold goes up. strock

Ive been watching a thread on another forum about the increase in price on the Xcal in Jan. Also more on some sites like this... http://placerlode.net/2012/12/22/mi...rease-for-january-2013-lock-in-low-price-now/

This has to be another ML push for money. Just plain supply and demand. They stopped the Sov and Exp are they trying to make it up? Or is it another marketing way to get you to get off the fence and buy one before Jan because they know they dont have anything new coming out.... but others do. If they get your money first ..... you wont have it after the new year when we KNOW new machine will be issued by other companies? Smart.... but im not biting because i know if nothing comes out i like then i could easily make it up out there IF i wanted an Xcal again. For those on the fence .... think about it.

Dew

I've been watching that thread too... Man is ML NUTS?? They may have the best equipment out there but they are going to price themselves right out of the Hobby market and if they don't realize it they are going to lose the military contracts to cheaper competitors as well when we plunge off the "fiscal cliff" and the mandatory military spending cuts kick in...

i do not see any boby complane when the price of gold goes up. strock

Last year the price went up $100 now its another $150 have they addressed any of the issues that the machine has? I haven't heard about them fixing the knobs or upgrading the headphones... for that extra $150 they should throw in a straight shaft...

Its all about the bottom line for Codan Minelab.

Strock... i assume you dont mind constant increases on your equipment with no improvement. Ummmm price of gold goes up... i think the comparison would be price of gold goes down....and yes i scream bloody murder :laughing:

Craig, i think its bean counting. Fix them on a case by case basis rather than recall or fix the problem.... just keep shipping out because its expensive to retool. The machines do an excellent job.... thank you Gary Storm.

Someone pass me the cheese for my whine.....

Dew

rich & swingin

Guess Minelab think's everyone's rich that swing's,Ctx3030 hype with machine elimination's,i saw this coming,as long as everyone keep's buying,these high dollar machine's,as they increased price's last year,now this,the next machine won't be Minelab 4 sure,as the economy weaken's the price's should go down,not up,Minelab's down fall .

at this rate when we sell our machines we'll get more for a second hand one then we paid in the first placeand we got a couple of years of fun out of them

I knew

Oh my friend Dew, i knew and i wrote it in TNet:yes::yes::yes::cool::cool::cool:
Don't worry about the price, the gold give the gold:yes::yes:
Happy hunting Dew and thank you for your interesting:cool::cool::cool:

If they're going to charge more they should give more: They REALLY ought to do something about the knobs, straight shaft, new gel pads on the ear phones, and maybe a charger that tells you when it's done charging...

Good post Dew, thanks. However that is the deciding factor for me to go back to a CZ before I would pay the increase to ML for the lesser quality machines. If the quality on the Excal II was as good as the Excal 1000, maybe. I found just as much gold, if not more with the CZ, but there was more gold to be found when I was hunting with the CZ too.

After using both for 10 years each, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another CZ before paying the price increase to ML. JMO I have owned Ford trucks and I have owned Chevy trucks, both get you where you want to go in about the same comfort. Best price got the sale from me.

If they're going to charge more they should give more: They REALLY ought to do something about the knobs, straight shaft, new gel pads on the ear phones, and maybe a charger that tells you when it's done charging...

I absolutely agree Z, and don't forget a little heavier duty pots that don't break if you turn the knob to much.

I wouldn't have any problem if improvements were made to justify to increase in price. I do not agree that just because the price of gold is up, and you can make it up there, that it's alright. Will the price come down when the price of gold does....I doubt it.

Besides, my biggest concern is that people wouldn't be buying the Excalibur and buy a DFPI for a LOT less money and there will be less gold for me and CJ to find.:tissue:

I haven't heard about them fixing the knobs or upgrading the headphones... for that extra $150 they should throw in a straight shaft...

OMG the headphones... don't get me started. I have used the red headphoned excal and the excal 2 and by crickey, what a difference. They also haven't addressed the epoxy split coil issues as well as some others, too much to write about.

Last year the price went up $100 now its another $150 have they addressed any of the issues that the machine has? I haven't heard about them fixing the knobs or upgrading the headphones... for that extra $150 they should throw in a straight shaft...

Its all about the bottom line for Codan Minelab.

Craig the problem is they know we'll keep buying them with all their flaws.The business end of an excal is hard to beat(technology).The rest of the stuff they want to get in bulk for cheap for maximum profit.Headphones are the worst in the industry.If they make a straight shaft which is easier,they'll source out some crappy bike end bar we'll complain about.The ones like the sov has will slip when wet.Then you tighten and the plastic breaks.Might as well give us carpal tunnel syndrome to go with that $150 increase.Even when i buy a used machine they send me the unused stock shaft brand new in the box.Minelab should have a buy back for all those stock shafts we got laying around.An s shaft is gonna put you on hiatus for a good bit.I already had carpal tunnel surgery once.The Doc says you can get it more than once.Thanks Minelab!:lol:By the way.My BHID stock s shaft stank too.In one hour your index finger turns purple from lack of blood circulation.Who even invented that junky s shaft in the first place? My dualfield came with a plugger.Pass me the cheese and whine!:lol:

Last edited:
I think at this point a lot of us see changes we know needs done to improve various machines. If they would catch up to what we have done to mod. these and take a serious look at problems we wouldnt mind nearly as much paying more. Surely they are selling more than when the Xcal came out and moving construction out of Ireland i assume put more money in their pockets as well. Right now i see nothing but money hand over fist with gold so high. ML used to be a company SERIOUS about the hobby like most of the companies. Wasnt about i know its broke.... ill fix it when it comes back.

I applaud companies like Chucks scoops and his warranty..... thats the way we used to do business. Not bean counter or business men, but people in the hobby improving equipment THEY used themselves. I realize its no longer cheap to do anything. Introducing the CTX cost a ton i have no doubt and i see its intent..... but it cost us 2 great machines, a cost increase, a crazy price for the CTX, and us salt water guys who can pay for our equipment didnt really get much out of it.

Sorry for the rant......

Dew

OMG the headphones... don't get me started. I have used the red headphoned excal and the excal 2 and by crickey, what a difference. They also haven't addressed the epoxy split coil issues as well as some others, too much to write about.

After reading all of these post, it is making the CZ look better and better.
No ridiculous increase in prices.
Built like a tank
Comes with a straight shaft, no modification needed
Easy to chest mount with a harness that cost less then $20. ($17.57 on Amazon) I still have one. Or hip mount for nothing.
Strong durable coils and knobs.
Last time I sent anything into Fisher it was back in 2 weeks. Minelab 6 weeks to 2 months
I am not convinced the CZ doesn't go just as deep as an Excalibur and wish I had one to test against mine.
I see a few hunters on the forums that do better than some with Excalibur's, Casper for one.

I am not trying to sway anyone away from the Excalibur, it's a great machine, when it's not broke, but personally, I won't be buying into ML price increase unless the quality goes back to the Ireland built machines. I will gladly go back to the CZ which is still built in America with quality parts. Thanks for bring this to light Dew, good post.

I think at this point a lot of us see changes we know needs done to improve various machines. If they would catch up to what we have done to mod. these and take a serious look at problems we wouldnt mind nearly as much paying more. Surely they are selling more than when the Xcal came out and moving construction out of Ireland i assume put more money in their pockets as well. Right now i see nothing but money hand over fist with gold so high. ML used to be a company SERIOUS about the hobby like most of the companies. Wasnt about i know its broke.... ill fix it when it comes back.

I applaud companies like Chucks scoops and his warranty..... thats the way we used to do business. Not bean counter or business men, but people in the hobby improving equipment THEY used themselves. I realize its no longer cheap to do anything. Introducing the CTX cost a ton i have no doubt and i see its intent..... but it cost us 2 great machines, a cost increase, a crazy price for the CTX, and us salt water guys who can pay for our equipment didnt really get much out of it.

Sorry for the rant......

Dew

I'm in the process of purchasing extra coils and spare parts for my GT... if I was to purchase a Excal I would purchase a older Excal1000 they were built alot stronger than the new models today... heavier duty wiring, better knobs, I wish I never sold mine but I was finding more gold with my PI and the Excal was collecting dust. Maybe Gary Storm has one laying around he would sell me ;)

Back
Top Bottom