Drought over...Compadre got me some gold!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Found 3 gold rings in late August, since then no gold or silver, either.
My itch cycle is about 30 days between gold finds.
I don't usually stay on that schedule, there is no rhyme or reason to my gold finds time-frame, but after I find some I start getting pretty antsy at around that 30 day mark and really have a great need to find some more.

For the last two weeks I have been using my prime jewelry hunter, my Compadre, because after all the great stuff I found this summer with my F2, I think the mojo has been used up and it needs to recharge.

I have been hitting some of my park sites, but besides clad the only jewelry I have been finding has been of the non-precious metal variety.
AKA junk.
I was looking at google maps and found a park I hadn't noticed or hunted yet and it was only about 6 miles south of me so away I went.

Loved hunting this place.
I don't think it is really old, some very modern and newer looking tot lot equipment here, but there also isn't a huge amount of trash on every swing, either.
Some, but not tons of trash like some parks I have been hunting.

Ended up with a real good day.
Found a bunch of clad, over $5, which is not bad for a 4 hour hunt.
Lots of dimes, several quarters, and a lot of zinc pennies...and on every one of them I was hoping to see a big gold ring pop up instead.

P1030598.jpg

Also found this military pin, and if anyone knows what this represents I would appreciate a heads up on that.
Also a John Daly Signature Course ball marker...or something related to golf.

P1030603.jpg P1030604.jpg
Searched a tot lot, around a basketball court, and then I started to hunt around a picnic pavilion.
3 hours in, and still no silver or gold.
Then, when I wasn't even expecting it, (I never do), I got a high foil signal and it was loud.
Right on the L in foil is where it came in as I dialed the knob down.
I knew it was something like small can slaw and shallow, or a larger piece of foil, or something else.
This time, it was something else,
Not huge, but it was clean and shiny and I knew it was gold.
2.3 grams of 10k yellow goodness.

20121113_135955.jpg
P1030592.jpg

Ok, itch cycle is reset, I guess I can relax for another month until that nervous feeling comes back.
Maybe I will be lucky and find one more piece of AU before winter shuts us down around here.

Oh yea, for you guys that are into math, here is the picture of the amount of trash I had to dig today to find this ring.
I knew most of these signals were trash but I dug them anyway because in reality, you just never really know what you have till you dig it.

Today's equation is this much trash equals one gold ring.
I will take that kind of math every day of the week.

P1030605.jpg

Rank is Airforce, master sergeant....they used to not invert the strips until senior master sergeant....was probably used as shoulder identification...

The Master Sgt (E-7) stripes is from the mid 90s before they redesigned the stripes. It was used on the blues rain coat and short cool weather jacket.

I haven't seen that MSgt insignia style in a long time.
Sharp looking ring Digger :waytogo:

The Master Sgt (E-7) stripes is from the mid 90s before they redesigned the stripes. It was used on the blues rain coat and short cool weather jacket.

Thanks!
Discovering the history of my finds is always the best part of this hobby.

I haven't seen that MSgt insignia style in a long time.
Sharp looking ring Digger :waytogo:

Thank you.
78 days from one gold find to the next.
Right now I'm calm...but that won't last for long.

You are correct emoryjim on the wearing of the Msgt insignia. They were that way in 82 when I retired from the Air Force. I don't like the way the new ones look. I guess it's because I am use to the old style (my step-farther) was also in the Air Force and retired at that rank as did I and two of my brothers.

Anyway, good find.

Man oh man! You have the patience of a saint! No way I could dig that much trash for a gold ring. :(

Grats on a sweet find!
G2M

Very nice Digger, You have to dig everything to get the gold, on my prizm5 I just notch out iron and thats it, dig it all b/c most of the gold Ive dug in dirt has shown foil or nickle...in the end it pays off, plus your doin a good deed by cleaning up trash, KARMA is always good...GL+HH.....cliffy.

Hey Digger27 ! :grin:

I know we wait to send a load of gold jewelry to our favorite Refinery, but just thought it would be fun to figure the payback you might get on that single 2.3 gram gold ring shown in your thread at the following address:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=132026&highlight=Drought+over...Compadre+gold!

This is passé if you've already sent the ring to a Refinery, but what the heck. ;)

If not interested in the details, see Final estimated payback: below.

What Gold Karate value is the Gold Spot Price in USD based on ? (example: at www.kitco.com)
The Spot Price is based on 24K gold, however, since Gold Jewelry is an alloy of gold and other harder metals like Tin, Nickel, etc. for greater strength and wear, the melt/assay purity of Jewelry at the Refinery will normally be less than 24K, for example, 22K (0.917 or 91.7% pure), 18K (0.750 or 75% pure), 14K (0.583 or 58.3% pure, 12K (0.500 or 50% pure), and 10K (0.417 or 41.7% pure).

Legend:
-1 gram = 0.0321507 ozt.
-1 ozt = 31.1034768 grams .
-(10K/24K) = 0.416.
-10K kitco Gold bid on Nov. 24, 2018 at 13:45 New York Time = $1,222.30 (per ozt).
-Converting 2.3 grams for Digger27's Gold ring to Troy ounces = 0.07394661 ozt .

Basic Formula to calculate Gold melt value, using Andy Sabisch formula on pg. 49, Lost Treasures, June 2010 :

[[(USD Gold Spot Price per Troy OZ) x (Karate of gold item ÷ 24)] ÷ 31.1] x (wt. of gold item in grams) = (USD value) x Refinery payback percentage (a decimal multiplier below 1, and based on the gold purity determined by the Refinery.) = the final * USD payback.

Final estimated payback:
Using the above formula and entering the appropriate values from the Legend and applying Midwest Refinery's 95% payback works out to a maximum of $35.72 * for your 2.3 gram Gold ring!

* Actual payback will probably be less after average "after- melt" weight loss and depending on the Refinery's final calculation of karate purity.

Math is fun !

ToddB64

Last edited:
Hey Digger27 ! :grin:

I know we wait to send a load of gold jewelry to our favorite Refinery, but just thought it would be fun to figure the payback you might get on that single 2.3 gram gold ring shown in your thread at the following address:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=132026&highlight=Drought+over...Compadre+gold!

This is passé if you've already sent the ring to a Refinery, but what the heck. ;)

If not interested in the details, see Final estimated payback: below.

What Gold Karate value is the Gold Spot Price in USD based on ? (example: at www.kitco.com)
The Spot Price is based on 24K gold, however, since Gold Jewelry is an alloy of gold and other harder metals like Tin, etc. for greater strength and wear, the melt/assay purity of Jewelry at the Refinery will normally be less than 24K, for example, 22K (0.917 or 91.7% pure), 18K (0.750 or 75% pure), 14K (0.583 or 58.3% pure, 12K (0.500 or 50% pure), and 10K (0.417 or 41.7% pure).

Legend:
-1 gram = 0.0321507 ozt.
-1 ozt = 31.1034768 grams .
-(10K/24K) = 0.416.
-10K kitco Gold bid on Nov. 24, 2018 at 13:45 New York Time = $1,222.30 (per ozt).
-Converting 2.3 grams for Digger27's Gold ring to Troy ounces = 0.07394661 ozt .

Basic Formula to calculate Gold melt value, using Andy Sabisch formula on pg. 49, Lost Treasures, June 2010 :

[[(USD Gold Spot Price per Troy OZ) x (Karate of gold item ÷ 24)] ÷ 31.1] x (wt. of gold item in grams) = (USD value) x Refinery payback percentage (a decimal multiplier below 1, and based on the gold purity determined by the Refinery.) = the final * USD payback.

Final estimated payback:
Using the above formula and entering the appropriate values from the Legend and applying Midwest Refinery's 95% payback works out to a maximum of $35.72 * for your 2.3 gram Gold ring!

* Actual payback will probably be less after average "after- melt" weight loss and depending on the Refinery's final calculation of karate purity.

Math is fun !

ToddB64

Math can be fun, but you can just go here: http://www.goldcalc.com/
and all the math is done for you.

Back
Top Bottom