Garrett At Pro great machine !!!

tonysullivan

I finally figured out how to use my At pro , what you have to do is dig every signal you hear , even the signals that show no vdi number ! I can get a 85-86 vdi number saying 10 inches and its a piece of damn iron 3 inches deep and yes I checked the hole twice ! This machine has no idea whats under the ground whats so ever . I try to hunt in pro mode with full iron discrimination and every other hole I am digging up iron . Oh but it will find coins and jewelery as long as its no more than 4 inches deep . I can't believe I spent 640 dollars on this pile of !!!! . It makes detecting hard when your discriminating trash and it still rings out in the 20-and 30 range , !!! ? I decided to buy this machine because all the hype on here about how good they are . I just dont understand .

I finally figured out how to use my At pro , what you have to do is dig every signal you hear , even the signals that show no vdi number ! I can get a 85-86 vdi number saying 10 inches and its a piece of damn iron 3 inches deep and yes I checked the hole twice ! This machine has no idea whats under the ground whats so ever . I try to hunt in pro mode with full iron discrimination and every other hole I am digging up iron . Oh but it will find coins and jewelery as long as its no more than 4 inches deep . I can't believe I spent 640 dollars on this pile of !!!! . It makes detecting hard when your discriminating trash and it still rings out in the 20-and 30 range , !!! ? I decided to buy this machine because all the hype on here about how good they are . I just dont understand .

wow lets say wow what a post another distraught atpro user,,im sorry,,,ive been with one for a few months i wont ever change machines this one has found me silver at 10 under a 5inch tree root i absouletly love it not to mention 17 out of one field so maybe u need to get ur coil over silver to dig it pratice and location is key just a note hope you have better days or give up n sell it cause ur next detector will prob do the same good luck n happy well hope for happy hunting im sure others will comment here also.......

I have nothing but good to say about my AT Pro. Took me about 2 months to figure it out. Now silver is coming out about every trip. If you decide to sell it let me know. I have a friend who would love to have one.

Mines landed me 39 silver coins this year from hunted out sites & also a few very nice gold rings, Just like with any machine out there you just need to learn how to tell when theres iron under the coil..

another one on the forums too lazy and stubborn to give his machine a chance. The AT PRO has been by far one of the top machines of all time...just today I yielded myself an 1867 shield nickel and 1918 buff right after, I've hit tons of silver within 3 weeks of using the pro, already down to 3 coins from the 1800s with it, and around 8 silver coins with it...in a MONTH.

Give your machine a chance and learn it before you whine and create this moronic propaganda.

Takes a while to get used to... My Atpro Rocks! The only iron I've ever dug is when my propointer picks it up. Found a silver dime at over a foot deep. I would sell my grandmothers back teeth before Id part with my precious.....

Sorry you feel that way - The ATPRO is a great machine. Not sure about your MD experience but I'd recommend running it in standard for about 6 months to learn all aspects of the machine. Ground balance several times during each hunt. Different soil types can return different vdi numbers. Learn the sounds well and when things come back odd then try to figure out why. Oh ya..........change your batteries often - even before the meter drops by one bar - or just rechargables and use fresh ones every time out. Mine gives really "screwy" readings when my battery power isn't at full. I know where you're coming from, at times I wanted to throw mine as far as I could but I chose to get serious and learn the machine..............good luck

HH

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett PP - 1917 WL Half - 5 Merc dimes - 2 rosies - 1 silver ring - 33 wheaties - $52.81 in clad

I go at least 4 days a week , im putting hours on the machine and I want it to be a great machine cause it should be for the money I spent. I seen some pretty bad testing of the At pro on you tube and thats got me a little down about it . It works well in sand for depth I will say that but to mistake iron for silver is another story.

Just because it reads 85-86 doesn't mean it's silver. Iron will trick any machine. You don't know the machine yet. You need more time on it. If you thought that by buying an at pro that silver would be begging to be dug then you have another thing coming. Lastly you paid way too much for it. Lol

[...] I try to hunt in pro mode with full iron discrimination and every other hole I am digging up iron .

I like to run in Pro Custom mode, with nothing notched out and the Iron discrimination set to 35 and the Iron audio on. It is usually very obvious when there is Iron. Even if you are getting mid tones from the iron. I only turn the Iron audio off if there is so much iron in the ground that it is driving me nuts. Even then I switch it on if a signal isn't a clear tone, just to see if it is iron.

Are you running with Iron audio on?

If you run in Pro Zero mode with Iron discrimination, but no Iron audio, you will get mid tones right to the point you have the Iron discrimination set to. You won't get any iron tones, tones that can let you know you may want to skip the target because it is probably iron.

I dig anything above 40 unless it is iron with a mid tone in the center of it. Consequently, I dig tons of foil, pull tabs, and junk but have also found siilver, and gold, and lots of clad coins. Until I have a year with this machine I figure I need to learn what the tones represent.

I was just looking at it to make sure all the connections were secure and the only thing I could see wrong with it is the big letters that read GARRETT . I know some people say there was a bad batch of them put on the market , maybe I got one of them but even so what kind of company would put trash on the market . They obviously didnt test them out. I'm not going to give up on it yet . Going out tomorrow to hunt . Maybe Ill find something other than garbage and two inch pocket change .

If your digging a lot of iron just start checking the targets by turning on the iron audio before you dig the target, iron will make a growl noise/coins will not.. Also if your still not sure just raise the coil about 8 to 10 inches above the target & if your still getting a response then its a big chunk of iron or other large trash/coins will stop responding after raising the coil several inches... :grin:

If you're so displeased with your AT Pro... I'll buy it from you, but not for what you paid, just what you think it's worth. Mull that around in your head and I bet the value will increase.

If you're so displeased with your AT Pro... I'll buy it from you, but not for what you paid, just what you think it's worth. Mull that around in your head and I bet the value will increase.

I see what you did.....

I started out with std coin and would id to max 40...i was picking out some iron but mostly slaw, ptabs and the odd few hundred nails which for some reason even when iron, when they rust they seem to want to give off mid tones and numbers.

I found when i moved to pro zero, id to max and ia off then test when i find a solid 90 degree target flick it on and check.

You can try it with the smaller coil (5x8) if theres a bunch of trash or iron masking your targets.

I know when i found a very clad friendly school field and let it run on the 80 and above it was spitting quarters and dimes at me, in the woods on pro zero and id to 35 it was finding headstamps and bullets upto 8" deep.

If you gb to slightly less then the auto and pro zero with id to 40 and iron audio on and sensa to max it hunts like a pig to truffles.

Yes your going to dig up trash, unless your notching out everything bar 20 or so on the vdi your going to find 4/1 or 5/1 trash but this isnt a precise art or this country would have been hunted out during the second world war when detectors first came out.

I have ran mine against a few others and i would never choose to change it out for any machine under $1000 and precious few over $1000.

Give it a chance...read the garrett manual again and do some air testing, get a test field built and learn those signals, straight finds signals or two nails and a coil between then...really test it out and if your going out after a few days off have a quick ten minute test garden time before you go out to remind your ears of whats what

Hey! Look on the bright side! At least you didn't buy a high end iron finder and spend $1000 + :lol:

Seriously though, it does take some getting used to. I was the same way at first. I remember posting something to the effect of wanting to wrap mine around a tree. :lol:

It will come in time. Its a great machine for the money.

G2M

I was just looking at it to make sure all the connections were secure and the only thing I could see wrong with it is the big letters that read GARRETT . I know some people say there was a bad batch of them put on the market , maybe I got one of them but even so what kind of company would put trash on the market . They obviously didnt test them out. I'm not going to give up on it yet . Going out tomorrow to hunt . Maybe Ill find something other than garbage and two inch pocket change .

Just like any other product on the market, there can be a bad batch that escapes through quality control. I bet you've never heard of anyone buying a new car with problems or a major appliance and haveing problems. I can understand you being frustrated about your machine. Mine has a few issues and I'm sending mine back in for repairs when I'm done for the season. I've found so much more good stuff since I've had my at pro, and even with the problems it has, I like it so much I've ad a hard time sending it in. Most new users get frustrated because of all the hype and expect to turn it on right out of the box and find silver or gold. I'm still learning mine every trip out. If it truely has a problem send it in for repair, or sell it and complain that garrett at pro is junk. We know how well they work, and as I said mine has a problem that I've decided to put up with til season is over...I anxious to see what I find next year after it's fixed, cause it's found me better and deeper stuff this year.

I bought one based on a lot of users on here saying it's a great machine. I've not used it yet, I told myself I'd finish out the year with my Ace 250 and start new next year learning and using my AT Pro. It's a bit intimidating I'll admit but in time I'm sure I 'll be loving it. I read all posts on here about the AT.

It takes 100 hours to be proficient with the AT Pro, that's no secret.

Here is why I love it, I hunted a swimming hole Sunday that had been cleared of coins by a previous hunter. That was confirmed by a local fella, there was not one coin in the water.

My AT Pro nailed 2 10k gold ear rings the last hunter missed. I'll take $33 in scrap gold over all the clad and junk silver a small swimming hold can hold.

Maybe it's the operator rather than the machine. I love my ATPro and will soon upgrade but not for any reasons of this thread.

Sell it here in the classifieds and move on. Another hunter would LOVE to have one!

Back
Top Bottom