2 Firsts - A Hometown Rosie and Sterling Silverware

Jamflicker

Elite Member
Last night I picked my son up at school and told him we were going metal detecting for about an hour. I gave him the ipad and I grabbed my detector and hit an old abandoned house near me. My first good find was my first sterling piece of silverware, a mangled spoon. It is dated 1913 and says sterling with a bunch of hallmarks and weights 24.2 grams. It also pays to remove trash as there was a shredded aluminum can on top of it. When I removed the can I got another signal which was the spoon. I included a few pics before cleaning the spoon.

I also found a Rosie which was the first silver coin I have found in my own city. Hard to believe it took this long, but 120 silver coins later I got my first.

I also found a 1929d wheat, 1949 license plate tag, and a Plymouth key.

Jason

Attachments

• Spoon 10_30_12.jpg
    Spoon 10_30_12.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 376
  • Finds 10_30_12.jpg
    Finds 10_30_12.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 376
  • Spoon Dirty.jpg
    Spoon Dirty.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 379
  • Dirty Finds.jpg
    Dirty Finds.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 371
congrats on the silver spoon
I grew up in north long beach and my mom says that I lost some silver spoons in the backyard somewhere

Congrats on the finds Jason! I haven't found any sterling silverware yet. I guess I need to go hunt Curtis's old backyard:laughing:

Nice hunt Jason. Congrats on some cool finds and nice keepers.

Greg
Thanks Greg!

congrats on the silver spoon
I grew up in north long beach and my mom says that I lost some silver spoons in the backyard somewhere
Thanks Curtis! Whats is that address to you backyard in Long Beach? :D

Congrats on the finds Jason! I haven't found any sterling silverware yet. I guess I need to go hunt Curtis's old backyard:laughing:
Thanks Keith! Hope you find some sterling silverware, but if you don't I guess you can always take a road trip to Curtis's old house.

Nice chunk of sterling, cool! I have not seen to many sterling pieces dug and posted before, so they must not be found that often, congrats!

Great hunt Jason!! I was looking at the pix before I read the text and knew that license tag looked familiar but couldn't place it! Thanks for the ID!:D

Back
Top Bottom