Finally broke my CW slump UPDATE: cleaned rifle lock pics

gtoast99

Forum Supporter
UPDATE: I added some new pics of the rifle lock cleaned up below. I'm pretty happy with it. Hope you enjoy. :D

Hey ya'll! I've been in a bit of a Civil War slump lately. With crops in fields and the temperatures like they've been, my friend and I have been scouring the woods looking for some camps that just don't want to be found or re-hunting a few pounded out sites. So I haven't had much to show for it lately besides exercise and camaraderie, lol.

Now that the crops are starting to be harvested, we decided to take a trip down to the Battle of Bentonville, NC. We spent most of the day searching a site near Mower's Charge, and I got lucky with a few nice keepers. Two three-ringers (one drop, one fired) and a nice enfield for lead. I also decided to dig some more of the big iron and came away with another CS shell frag.

My favorite relic for the day was this awesome lock plate, I think from an Enfield rifle. I've never found one before, and it's even more special being that it's a battlefield find. The hammer is missing, but the mechanism looks fairly complete. I'll be sure to post an update once I've run it through electrolysis.

I've also posted a picture of an original to show how it went in the musket, and a photo of some of the trash for the day, haha!

For more information on these finds as well as the history of the Battle of Bentonville and Mower's charge, feel free to check out my website, Detecting Saxapahaw. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• finds2.jpg
    finds2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 515
  • bullets.jpg
    bullets.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 515
  • shell frag both.jpg
    shell frag both.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 511
  • enfield.JPG
    enfield.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 522
  • trash1.jpg
    trash1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 529
Nice work on the CW relics. Really like the lock plate. Be sure to post a picture of it after you hit is with electrolysis. I dug a flint lock plate this past spring and I couldn't believe how much better it looked after several rounds with electrolysis.

Righteous !!

That's Aesome Gtoast, i didnt see it before , thanks for the link and it looks like your slump is over, lol. I always like to see what you find and hear your history lessons of all the finds, if you are not an archeologist then you missed your calling ! Big Congrats bud !!!

That bullet on the right looks as it may have been a pulled one or one that was tap in hard but great stuff looking forward to see more? Lee

That bullet on the right looks as it may have been a pulled one or one that was tap in hard but great stuff looking forward to see more? Lee

Nope, neither pulled nor hard rammed, but an odd sort of nose casting defect. I'll post a better pic in the morning. :)

Nice Enfield

The Enfield Bullet (Prichard Ball) was pulled, it has a typical bullet worm hole in the nose... but man, what a sweet Enfield! 1861 date, no "VR" markings, meaning it was almost certainly exported to the Confederacy. But it could have been captured by a US Naval Blockade Warship, and issued to the Union. You rarely see them in that nice of condition.

Back
Top Bottom