Learning the ACE 350

Grumpysrb

Forum Supporter
Thought I'd pass on what I have learned about my ACE 350 since I about it a couple of months ago.

1. I find more trash than anything else, but with practice, know it is junk when I dig it.

2. Whole aluminum cans indicate up as silver in the $1/50 notch, but piieces of can indicate as tabs or 1c depending on size. Bottle tops indicate as solid 25/10c and sound off as a coin as well.

3. Multiple targets will cause the indicator to bounce all over the place. Reducing the sensitivity helps to isolate each target, but you will end up digging one or more to pinpoint them.

4. The pin point feature doesn't work if the target is 2 inches or less. You have to raise the coil up, and it appears to stop working if you use it on a single target to long. You have to release the button move the coil off the target and start again. Mine also pin points an inch or so to the right or below the actual target sometimes. I use my Garrett Pro Pointer for anything under 4 inches, before digging. Works better.

5. The sounds the 350 make are too similar, but with practice, and a LOT of digging, I have gotten to the point where I can tell coins/ interesting stuff from trash. Most of the time.

6. I've become more of an ameteur archeologist than a coin shooter. Digging stuff just to see what it is. Especially the spot I am hunting currently. In the middle of nowhere and finding handles and other out of place items.

7. To Be Continued!

I have never used an Ace 350 but it doesn't seem right that you cannot pinpoint on a target that is less then 2 inches in the ground.
Anyone else experience this????
I have used an Ace 250 once for a short time and have an AT Pro now and both pinpointed fine on shallow targets.

Had trouble pin pointing a 6 inch deep target today. I'll call Garrett when I return from my trip. It may be because there were three targets, but I don't think so. All three were 6 or more inches apart. I have had the 350 lockup 2 or 3 times too. Heard it has happened to others near powerlines.

No problems here.

I've never had a problem pinpointing with the Ace 350 I have. In fact, my dig holes are getting smaller for shallow targets. Deeper holes run about the size of a CD. The trick I found works for me is turning on the pinpointing function at the right distance from the target. It took me a while to get the feel for it. Of course, if you are pinpointing with multiple targets under the coil can a little tricky.

I've never had a lockup, even operating under power lines. The Ace 350 I've been using has been rock solid. The only weirdness I've seen is when I tried detecting wet ocean sand at the beach, but that is normal for this detector. I really need a PI detector for that.

It's normal. After more learning and a lot of hunting and experimenting. I have come to the conclusion that some of the problems I have had are because of me.

The pin pointing feature fades with one or two passes because it is detuning and or the target is deep. The pin point is often off by two or three inches on occation because the target is shallow, or there are more than one target, or the target is large. I have hit a target and couldn't pin point it because there was another target under the coil. Often a small piece of trash. When I did find the intended target it was a couple inches or more from where the pinpoint said it was. Other times it has been a large target, like a piece of wire. The machine simply followed the wire from one end to the other..
If you are new, have an ACE, stay tuned. You can learn from my mistakes, and learn a lot you will!

Hunted a new spot today. The last few days have been enlightening. Figured out, with help, how to pick put junk, aluminum, from the rest. Found a dime, modern, a spent bullet and a few yards away a casing. Not to the bullet though. Was able to sort through the junk.

Still had a little trouble with the pinpoint feature, and the headphones quit.

My 350 pinpoints very well. The 350 is an awesome coin shooter for the price.

I've dug a target at almost 2 feet deep. :)

Are any of you beach hunters? Do you have any tricks for using the ACE 350 in wet \ salty sand?? Mine seems to give off false readings when salt is involved.

From what I have seen, ACE 350 users have had different problems with different machines. One guy, with a Youtube video has had trouble with both his 150 and 350, says Garrett lost one. My units pin point feature worked well when I got it, and it isn't a huge problem, but I'd like it working correctly. I'll be sending it in Monday for a couple other problems, it locksup (all the displays come on together) and I have to restart it, and the headphones quit. I'm still using it til then. I have gotten frustrated but it turns out I needed to learn a little more. A video on youtube help a ton. Learned a lot from a 10 minute video there.

I have also found deep objects. Some square head nails at about a foot, and some aluminum strips at about 1 and a half. Seemed like deeper while digging them out. What really amazes me is finding coins and similar items 8 or more inches deep.

Are you always in Coin Mode?

I've been using my 350 for about a 2-weeks. It's not just about the bell tone when you hit a digable target. Watch what the display does too.

Those eight videos on Youtube are the same as on the Garrett DVD. Make sure the volume adjustment isn't turned all the way down before writing off the headphones.

Tryed everything with the headphones, except new ones. They were working one second and not the next. I unplugged them and back in and they worked while being plugged in and not after plugged in. Any way the machine is going back to garrett for repair. I think the power butto is the cause of the display freezing up. Anyway, it's all boxed up (in the original box) and ready to go. Was supposed to mail it this morning, but I had to use once more. Got a small amount of clad.

I have learned a lot in the last couple of weeks. Like how to tell the difference between pull tabs and coins.

Are any of you beach hunters? Do you have any tricks for using the ACE 350 in wet \ salty sand?? Mine seems to give off false readings when salt is involved.

To make a long story short:
The ACE is not made for wet sand on salt water beaches.
For salt water beaches, stick to the dry sand where people lay out their towels and beach chairs.
Fresh water beaches it works on.
It will false every time you are on wet salty sand.
Why? Because it does not have an adjustable ground balance.
Salt water is electrically conductive and mixed with minerals in the wet sand causes the Ace to false and go crazy because the ground balance is preset in the machine and can not be manually adjusted.

There is very little dry sand here. The beaches are almost flat. From the water to the dune there is only a foot ar two rise in elevation. I live about 15 miles from the beach and am 42 foot above sea level.

Anyway, I use my Ace 350 on the wet beach sand frequenty. Just not at or in the water. And I do find coins, usuall clad and moden pennys, and tabs and bottle caps. That's just what there is, so far. I just put it into coin mode and turn down the sensitivity.

Garrett has amazing customer svc! they will fix it if not just send you a new one in no time. I also have the 350 and sometimes have a problem w/ pinpointing items 2 inches or less but when that happens the pro pointer works perfectly to quickly find the target.

I don't even pin point when it is less than 3 inches. I go straight for the pro pointer. Love the thing. Let ya'll know about customer service when I get my machine back.

I emailed the customer service rep as soon as Garrett received my 350. Said it hadn't been logged in, but it was there. It would be mid-next week before they knew anything. I bid on a 150 on ebay, I'll use it until I get the 350 back, and then as a backup. If I don't get it I'll wait on the 350 and probably get a 4.5 ciol. Looking into a 15 x 19 inch coil too.

Bjerry

Just got my 350 back from Garrett went to the fairgrounds parking lot 29 bottle caps later the discrimation does not work it beeps on Everything !. I have found when i use the pinpointer, the item is about 2" to the rear.

Waht are you setting the discrimination on. Many, if not most bottle caps ring up as coins. I believe it is that way with all machines. I tryed the fairgrounds parking lot. Got tired of the bottle caps, but more so of the gravel I had to dig through to find out if it was a bottle cap. Had a club member tell me he got a silver 1930 something dime there though. If you think your machine is still messed up, air test it, then call Garrett. They replaced the main board in mine and it works much better, including the pin point.
Mine was off about the same as yours. It still isn't always spot on, but is very close. Be sure there isn't more than one target. You can't pin point with two targets under the coil together, except for this trick. If there are several targets atdifferent depths adjust the sensitivity. Start with the lowest setting and digging the shallowest target first and work your way down to the deepest. You may still hit more than one, but the closest will be stronger. You will have to dig the trash out to find the good stuff. You can tell when there is more than one target of different metals when the indicator jumps from one end to the other. I just dig they one at a time. Even surprised myself a couple times when the coin was at the bottom.
Also, when you pin point, turn 90 degrees and do it again to see if it moves. I have found that there is often two targets tht ca be seperated when you do this, sometimes. Other times you can simply tell there are two.

My 350 pinpoints very well. The 350 is an awesome coin shooter for the price.

I've dug a target at almost 2 feet deep. :)

I haven't had a chance to hit a saltwater beach yet but did see one video the operator said to turn the sensitivity down to 3 or 4 bars when in the water.

Any new updates? New things you've learned? As far as Garrett goes, do they refund you for shipping costs to send it in or anything like that? Thanks!
- Aaron

Back
Top Bottom