Real or Not? The Verdict IS (seen last post)

imalookin2

"In Memory Of"
Forum Supporter
Some of you guys thought the ring I found might be brass and not gold. I researched this and found some info. First thing I found is brass is not magnetic like gold. Then I read it is if it is if there is an added alloy. Second easy test is to rub it hard between your fingers. Brass will leave a smell on your fingers, gold will not. My acid test shows it to be 9 or 10K. With 10K acid the sample just floated on the drop of acid and got a bit thinner after about 5 minutes but did not dissolve. With 14K it smoked and disappeared fast making me think it is 9K. It is small, just barely fits half an inch into my little finger but it is 1.7 grams. Tiny ring for 1.7 grams. Also, that beach is known for rare finds dating to the 1700's. It is possible this ring is from that era but I have no way to verify this. I even bit into it and left shiny teeth marks. :laughing: It has been re-sized. Does anyone re-size a brass ring? I do not know, I am learning..I also read that acid testing brass makes it turn brown.

Is it brass or not? Before I get it tested I was wondering what you think. To be continued............:D

I will get it tested to finish this thread. Real or fake? Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 977
Last edited:
No offense, but I think it is brass. In the other thread it just didn't look right for gold. However, I am pretty new to all this so I'm just taking a WAG (wild-a$$ guess) at it...

Could be brass. Maaaaany years ago, silver platting used to be done over brass. If this is that old, the silver plated might have come off... Will research and see if I may find something from the old days to help you in ID here....that "S' design looks old.

If it tested @ 9k per acid test then isn't that validation enough? If not and your doubting your acid test then you might want to bring that Rolex in and have it tested as well? At 1.7g of 9k that's worth about $36 which is incredible when you think about it.

If it tested @ 9k per acid test then isn't that validation enough? If not and your doubting your acid test then you might want to bring that Rolex in and have it tested as well? At 1.7g of 9k that's worth about $36 which is incredible when you think about it.
The only reason I doubt the acid test is because some metals do not dissolve like stainless. Guess I could try acid on brass but I think I threw out all that small junk.

Hope this is not bad news, :( but gold Mel Fisher pulled up from 1622 was as shinny as it was when it went down. There may have been other mechanical actions acting on your ring to cause the pitting. Althought 1622 was a long time for Mel's gold to have mechanical pitting as well. Hope for best until tested.

Greg,i see only one way to settle this! Hold a contest.Have categories as follows.Brass,9k,10k,14k,other.The winners and losers go into two separate pools.You pull the winner from a hat.The winner gets to pick from the loser pool who wears these gloves water hunting for a month:laughing: If i win the Whites and Minelab guys are safe:lol:My vote is 10k.We don't see much 9k evenback during the depression.Australia seems to be the 9k capitol:lol: I think these date back to the 30's or older:D

Attachments

• 100_0911 (800x600).jpg
    100_0911 (800x600).jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 867
Greg,i see only one way to settle this! Hold a contest.Have categories as follows.Brass,9k,10k,14k,other.The winners and losers go into two separate pools.You pull the winner from a hat.The winner gets to pick from the loser pool who wears these gloves water hunting for a month:laughing: If i win the Whites and Minelab guys are safe:lol:My vote is 10k.We don't see much 9k evenback during the depression.Australia seems to be the 9k capitol:lol: I think these date back to the 30's or older:D

PI JOE has a very nice bracelet marked 14k, its pretty old and pretty brass :lol: I have a ring marked 18k with genuine rubies and opals and its brass... :yes:

PI JOE has a very nice bracelet marked 14k, its pretty old and pretty brass :lol: I have a ring marked 18k with genuine rubies and opals and its brass... :yes:

Yeah,i got a 14k Italy bracelet my wife liked til i showed her how you tell the fake ones from the real ones.The ring attached to the lobster claw is magnetic and not soldered.I buffed the gold down to the copper for the heck of it.Think it came in a 56 on the DFX:lol:

Iam thinking 9k, tehe ring has been in and out of the surf being blasted by sand, where mel fishers shiney gold was in deep water and not carried away by currents, plus it was covered by th ships timbers, not all of mels gold was shiney. JMO....keep us informed and lets see what happens...I took a ring in to be checked by a friend of mine that owns a pawn shop and he told me that 9k is not even considered gold in the US, it has to be 10k for him to mark and sell as gold and the ring i showed him he would sell for 39 bucks. I dont know if this is true as this was the first time I had heard it. Has anyone ever heard of this b4 and know if its true or not?...GL+HH.....cliff.

Back in the 1800s they stamped a lot of jewelry with gold markings... that werent. Another reason they started requiring the country or origin. So yours is magnetic? Never a good sign. Depends on the amount of gold some bleed and pick up mineralization color.... but higher grade gold doesnt seem to do that.

Dew

I'm pulling for you imalookin2

I rummaged through my old saved rings for give away last night and came across this ring which looks identical to imalookin2's ring so I'm pulling for that chance of 9K gold. Any further update?

Attachments

• gold1.JPG
    gold1.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 690
I rummaged through my old saved rings for give away last night and came across this ring which looks identical to imalookin2's ring so I'm pulling for that chance of 9K gold. Any further update?

Mine clearly tested at 10k. It's just like yours only a script R on it. I scraped it and the color is thru and shiny. It's going in the gold stack for now.

Last edited:
Mine clearly tested at 10k. It's just like yours only a script R on it. I scraped it and the color is thru and sinner. It's going in the gold stack for now.
I have not been able to get to a place to test it. I live in a rural area and the closest grocery store is 20 miles if that gives you an idea. It rained all day today so I just stayed in. Will try to get it tested at the gold store tomorrow if I can. Mine is shiny underneath also, I do not see brass being that gold looking or as soft. itsaring has one also his tested 10K too as did mine. Stay tuned.....

I have not been able to get to a place to test it. I live in a rural area and the closest grocery store is 20 miles if that gives you an idea. It rained all day today so I just stayed in. Will try to get it tested at the gold store tomorrow if I can. Mine is shiny underneath also, I do not see brass being that gold looking or as soft. itsaring has one also his tested 10K too as did mine. Stay tuned.....

Plus brass is much harder I would think. Now I wonder how old something like that could be? At today's gold mine pencils out at $36 and change.

Back
Top Bottom