Itching to find some gold...and then some 14k comes into my life!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Went back to a great park I found and hunted last Saturday morning for awhile.
It wasn't a long hunt, but I realized pretty quickly that nobody had hunted here for awhile because of the great amount of high tone targets I was finding.

Plenty of dimes, quarters and copper pennies, a pretty good amount of pull tabs, pop tops and can slaw, too.

The last time I was here I used the F2, but I had the 10 inch coil mounted and this place is way too trashy to hunt this place right with a coil that big.
Still did okay, but I was sure I was missing lots of good targets because of masking and all that trash.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=124289

P1030254.jpg

Could not wait to get back to this site, I found a little silver last time and I figure there has got to be more around here, much more, and probably...hopefully, some gold.

I got there mid morning and a club buddy was going to meet me here in a while.
I got the F2 out and this time the sniper coil was on board so I expected much more out of the same areas I hunted just a few days earlier which has been my experience in the last month going back to some of my old sites and hunting with my sniper.
I don't know about you, but I just love it when I'm right!

I started in this small area between to basketball courts because this type of site has been good to me lately.
A few weeks ago I dug a large silver necklace right next to another court at another park, and not only did I dig a bunch of clad in this area last time I was here, this is the exact spot where I also found part of a nice silver Celtic cross.
You have to put yourself in the picture when hunting sites, and I am sure that when guys play basketball they take breaks and sit down in the grass right near the court because I have found so much clad and some jewelry next to them at a few different sites just like this.

20120822_114722.jpg

See it there?
That small strip between the two courts.
That cross, tons of clad and a lot of trash I found and got it out of the way all came from this small area...but lots of targets were still left because that big coil was just overloaded with trashy signals.

I looked for the other little part of the cross that was broken off, but no luck, so I started to move back and forth across this spot moving slow and trying to find every good signal.
I wasn't digging everything, I will come back to a site like this several times and eventually dig most of it, but today I was specifically looking for some jewelry so not only was I looking for the high tones I missed before, but any other solid signal that did not jump too much because a real jumpy signal on the F2 usually means trash.

I actually dug several coins that were masked and I missed in the last hunt with that big coil, mostly zinc and copper pennies and dimes plus a few nickels.

Now here is the funny part...
In this park, stay-tabs, (hate them!), came in as 35-37 on the Vid, usually.
As you move the coil away they might even jump around even more, but those are the numbers that I quit digging after digging about 10 of these, and 40-42 numbers were usually can slaw, large foil or an older beaver tail tab.

That's when it happened...right in the middle of this piece of grass, I got a signal, a signal that was a 37 but jumped to a 39.
Usually, after digging several tabs already I would have left this 37 alone and come back to it on future hunts, but it did jump to that 39 and back which was odd, it was pretty loud, and it seemed to have a nice sharp end to that tone that pull tabs usually don't have.
For you F2 owners don't think that those 4 tones are all you get...there definitely are little inflections and differences in those tones if you listen closely with head phones.
Whatever the reason, something in my head said I had to dig this one so I bent over, found the location with my Propointer, stuck my digger in the ground and pried up a little piece of earth.
That's when I saw it...a round little ring surrounded by dirt and it was the color of gold...old gold.
The dirt knocked off easily so I knew, but I had to make sure so I did my usual chant, "be gold...be gold...be gold", while I looked closely at the inside of the band and there it was...the word TRUBRITE and right next to it that sweet 14K!
Bazinga...4th piece of gold for the year...and a nice one, too!

There was a diamond in the center, and in the sunlight it sparkled like no other rock I have ever seen or dug so I suspect it is a real diamond.

That Trubrite name seemed odd but after doing some research I discovered this was the trademark that was filed in 1966 for jewelry made by a company called Basco Jewelers in Philadelphia, and some other info said they were also diamond distributors so is that stone the real deal...I am thinking yea.
The trademark lapsed in 1989, and I read the company was bought out and folded so I am thinking this ring was made and sold between the mid 60's and the late 80's.
Whatever...all I know is it looks great on my pinky next to my vintage wedding band, and the wife tried it on and it fits her ring finger just perfectly and this is the first gold ring that I have found that fits me and looks good so I think there is going to be a fight over this one in my household.
Maybe we can share it, we will see.
I still say it looks better on me...

P1030268.jpg

I knew the sniper coil would find me lots more that I missed, and I was hoping for a little silver to top off the day but my hunting buddy found a nice silver ring instead.
No matter, not even close to covering this beautiful site, yet, and I will be spending some time here in the near future.
A lot more time as a matter of fact.

Here is the take from today, it includes a nice Maisto car, some other car and truck parts, and even a Sacajawea dollar, and all from the exact same areas I hit before with that bigger coil...I just love my little sniper buddy!
I am happy with all of this, and I can truly say today was a very good day...

P1030273.jpg

...but this ring made it a perfectly golden one!

P1030272.jpg

HH

pulltabs

Nice hunt, even nicer gold! congratulations. You know as well as i do, the wife gets it if she wants it...don't be a dumbass, son. :cool:

I'm not sure I'd ignore those pulltab signals...

Heck yeah!!

That little strip had that much and more? Jeez :)

Sent from Tapatalk while mobile.

Heck yeah!!

That little strip had that much and more? Jeez :)

Sent from Tapatalk while mobile.

About 1/2 of the clad and that gold ring came from that little strip.
The silver ring my buddy found was near it too just past the end of the left side of the pic, the rest of the stuff came from around a picnic pavilion which I also hunted before, but is a much bigger area.

I have said this since I started using this little coil..
It makes old sites new again.

sweet!

Nice finds digger! That park should provide you with many weeks or months of fun and treasure! Love the ring!

The term "Hand over fist" comes from metal detecting.It was originally used to describe when you come home with jewelry and drop it into the wifes hand from yours.I'm beginning to wonder how big chains turn from a womans necklace to a mans.You ever find a gold ring that says"Bob",don't be tricked into believing it is short for Bobra:laughing:

The term "Hand over fist" comes from metal detecting.It was originally used to describe when you come home with jewelry and drop it into the wifes hand from yours.I'm beginning to wonder how big chains turn from a womans necklace to a mans.You ever find a gold ring that says"Bob",don't be tricked into believing it is short for Bobra:laughing:

She usually has first dibbs on all my finds.
Maybe she will rent it to me a few days a week.

Good work Digger! I'm way past due for a piece of gold .. ARRRRRRRRRGGGGH!

I agree about the strips between the courts. Always goodies there! :yes:

Good work Digger! I'm way past due for a piece of gold .. ARRRRRRRRRGGGGH!

I agree about the strips between the courts. Always goodies there! :yes:

Thank you.
About every 1 1/2 months I just get that feeling that I need to find some gold.
Not want...NEED!

Luckily, I can usually find a few sites with a little higher probability to do this, rare as it is.
Silver will usually hold me over for a bit, but gold is the only thing that satisfies that urge.

Beautiful Gold man! :cool:

Thanks for the breakdown on how you picked the area too, I'm going to have to get me one of those little coils for when the ice kicks me out of the water.

Nice ring,digger. Sounds like that one will never go to ARA! Congrats.

Turns out our Md club starts it's new year this month so this ring is eligible to be entered in the "Best Jewelry" category at our next meeting.

I asked one of the members on our club website if I can enter it with my wife's finger still in it, and he said sure...there have been many rings with wives fingers submitted over the years.

More and more I come to the realization that women just don't "get" men and what is important to us.

Back
Top Bottom