Garrett Ace Users - How Much Sensitivity Do You Run?

Dan30Cal

A question to all users of the Ace series - How many bars of sensitivity do you run, and what conditions do you use that setting on?

I run anywhere between 4 to 6 bars (6"x9" coil) in north Florida's sand and topsoil.
With the sniper coil I can run 5 to 8 bars in the same comditions.
2 to 5 bars on the beach. Lower the wetter the sand is.

I have noticed that if i run 3 bars i might go over coins so now i use 4 bars at least, often 5 bars. If im unsure about a target i will lower/raise the bars to see if its a stable target.

I have unusual conditions here in E. Texas. For some reason, I have large iron targets-maybe iron ore rocks- and 4 bars is max. In high trash areas, I go to 3 bars. I only use the sniper coil because of all the "stuff" here. I once went to an open field free of this stuff, and 6 bars was possible. I once found some quarters at 6" at 6 bars sens. and lowered the sens. to 4 bars as a test. Because of the unusual conditions, the signal got clearer!

I start with max settings and turn down as needed. When I was hunting some beaches in North Carolina I had to turn down as far as 1 bar for wet sand.

So I went out for the first time today with my Ace 350 and was getting a bunch of signals. I don't want to lower the sensitivity too much because I am afraid ill lose a lot of depth. How many inches do I lose per each sensitivity bar that I reduce? How do I set the sensitivity once out in the field or sand? Thanks!
- Aaron

I start with max settings and turn down as needed. When I was hunting some beaches in North Carolina I had to turn down as far as 1 bar for wet sand.

It's a case by case depending on trash and electrical interference.

Generally, I end up at 6 bars (two from the top). I think Garrett might recommend this.

Had to drop to two bars when underground power lines bothered me once.

You will notice 1-2" increase in depth from 3-4 bars sensitivity. After that, soil conditions make all the difference. I researched this patiently for a year. Now here's another kicker: you can increase the depth a little more by increasing the sweep speed-but trash and mineralization will also cause more false signals. Vice-versa, you can increase the sensitivity and slow down the sweep speed to help with the falsing. Once you find the right combination for your area-you'll always know where to set it and later, if you encounter different conditions-you'll also know what to do.

Highest sensitivity without getting false signals when you sweep, will give you the best depth.

I don't own an Ace 250... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

usually at factory settings on sens. mostly in jewelry mode and 6.5x9 coil.
I got a 5x8 but have been playing with the settings on it.

Back
Top Bottom