My two cents on cleaning modern coinage.

Bentfork

In memory of...
Over the years (40 to be exact) of metal detecting, I have heard just about everything possible for cleaning coins.

When it comes to modern coinage, I have no desire to make it look pretty. Nor do I care to roll anything except quarters. The only reason I do that is because I stick them in the motorhome for laundry services while on the road. I simply go to my local Coinstar and dump them in. Hand me my Amazon credit - thank you very much. Our local Coinstar doesn't tap you for 8.5% if you take a credit from one of their sponsors. Your's is probably the same.

Anyway, I have no desire to mess with sand, a tumbler, ammonia, navel jelly, or high voltage. A Coinstar machine is stupid and could care less if they are discolored. About the only thing it cares about is bent or chewed up coins, non US coins, and zincolns that have malignant cancer.

Here's what I do for cleaning modern coinage. When the time comes I put them into an empty spaghetti sauce jar, add about a half cup of dishwasher powder, fill to the neck with water, and put the lid on it. Shake it well and forget about it for 2 days. After 2 days the solution has not only removed the major dirt, but it has removed most all the grime too. Rinse and throw in your sand scoop for drying. The reason I use dishwasher powder is because it's non-hazardous to your health or the environment. No electricity involved either. Dishwasher powder is very good at breaking down organic matter as well as dirt. Remember the commercials that say, "you can put this 6 year old dirty lasagna pan in our whiz bang, high enzyme dishwashing powder and it will come out sparkling". There is some truth to it. Dishwashing powder chemically breaks down food. It doesn't just loosen it. It actually has enzymes to liquify it. Give it a try. It will remove most of the rust on those quarters, dimes, and nickels too. Plus, it doesn't foam!

They won't sparkle though. :(

Happy Hunting!

Gary

Blackened quarters

Bentfork, I also notice the carwash coinslot dos'nt care a bit about what color the quarters are, neither do'es the coke machine. I especialy like to put them in tonic machines as retribution for gougeing me on the price of a plastic bottle filled with strained water. Parking meters could care less. I get rid of dimes and nickles at the poker table. Nobody really notices the grundgy look, until they win it.:mad: After a while they start to see more of them, not really noticing who put them there. The griping starts, and I put on my poker face. I have more, but there is always next week.....:spin:

I'm not a big fan of slot machines. But, my wife finds they work very well in them too. I was in a laundry room when the machines were being emptied after the war dept did clothes. The look on the owner's face was priceless. Even heard a few choice words. They looked at me and I just gave them the "I dunno" look. Hey, it is money!

GWN

Yup, all my clad goes to the bank coin machine with very few problems. I keep quarters to wash the desert dust off of the truck, ya gotta set an example when you're out there diggin!!

Dusty

Modern Coins

Hello,

I can't seem to part with anything that I find that is not garbage. I clean my modern coins well enough so that I can read the date and mint mark and so that they will stack in rollers. Then I just save all my coins and watch The Bank of Frank grow.

As far as cleaning, I have limitless access to caustic flakes from where I work. I add my coins to a beaker, add some flakes, and finish that with boiling water. The chemical reaction is so powerful that dirty water erupts out of the beaker. All the coins come out absolutle dirt and grime free and they are sterile too.

Frank

Instant

Hello,

I forgot to add that the cleaning time in instant. As soon as the eruption stops, the coins are good to go.

Frank

Don't have those caustic flakes but for clad coins but Sno-Bowl toilet cleaner does great. Squirt a little on the coins in a cup or jar and swirl away for a few seconds. Don't leave them in too long and rinse with plenty of water right away. Watch out on copper lincolns the stuff will eat them if you don't rinse right away.

If it is any kind of coin you want to keep or of any value, don't use it. Cleans clad nice.

Also great for cleaning corroded copper wire connections to shiny clean, but be SURE to rinse well right away.

As far as cleaning, I have limitless access to caustic flakes from where I work. I add my coins to a beaker, add some flakes, and finish that with boiling water. The chemical reaction is so powerful that dirty water erupts out of the beaker. All the coins come out absolutle dirt and grime free and they are sterile too.

video pls

One school I go to has clad that comes out red or red with black crust, you cannot make the dates on anything that is over 3 inches deep. Coinstar rejects most of them, the bank refuses them, so do soda machines.
Cannot get this red patina off

Hello,

I can't seem to part with anything that I find that is not garbage. I clean my modern coins well enough so that I can read the date and mint mark and so that they will stack in rollers. Then I just save all my coins and watch The Bank of Frank grow.

Frank
bet makes for good pics for forum too,my camera doesnt focus that well and the dirty 1s are hard to zoomed :lol:

Once you tumble you don't use any other method. Works so well - doesn't take long, and all the dirt comes off and leaves the coins presentable.

One school I go to has clad that comes out red or red with black crust, you cannot make the dates on anything that is over 3 inches deep. Coinstar rejects most of them, the bank refuses them, so do soda machines.
Cannot get this red patina off

Tumbling will probably get the machines to take them.

Where do you find a Coinstar that has an option for "Amazon Credit?"

That would be better than the 8.9 cent fee deduction in the ones I've come across!

I worked at a plating shop for many many years and am luckily still friends with the owner so i just take my saved up clad and toss it in an alkaline bath "oakite 166" for a few hours and my tarnished silver i just dip in the deoxidizer for a few seconds, it just a 12% nitric acid and deox solution and instant bling! And no damage.

Last edited:
I put the clad in a jar when it gets to a dollar I put in in my pocket an spend it and put a bill in the jar. The grocery store, Starbucks etc. will take anything, why mess with cleaning it.

Back
Top Bottom