Detection on pass through

goldzit

Haven't really started metal detecting and don't have a detector but was wondering if I dropped metal objects through the center of the coil what response I would receive. Will the coil's field generate a signal in this manner as well? More curious how the field around the coil works and if there is any good information out there I would appreciate any links or your knowledge. Thanks for your assistance.

Welcome from White Plains, New York!

Haven't really started metal detecting and don't have a detector but was wondering if I dropped metal objects through the center of the coil what response I would receive. Will the coil's field generate a signal in this manner as well? More curious how the field around the coil works and if there is any good information out there I would appreciate any links or your knowledge. Thanks for your assistance.

Yes, you will hear a response. Here are some cone patters..
coils3.jpg

Assuming you are thinking of a concentric coil the, yes. As a matter of fact, the response would be the strongest response possible. This is because the transmit field is strongest in the center of the coil. Additionally, the distance from the target to the receive coil would also be the shortest path possible as the coin falls through the coil center.

If you are interested in really visualizing the transmit field, rather than the simplistic, cone shaped, approximation, you can probably find a "Biot-Savart law" field simulation somewhere on the internet. The Biot-Savart law gives you the field from a current carrying wire segment of arbitrary geometry and it is:

eqn.gif

:shock: On second thought, this might be more involved than you wanted to know.

Assuming you are thinking of a concentric coil the, yes. As a matter of fact, the response would be the strongest response possible. This is because the transmit field is strongest in the center of the coil. Additionally, the distance from the target to the receive coil would also be the shortest path possible as the coin falls through the coil center.

If you are interested in really visualizing the transmit field, rather than the simplistic, cone shaped, approximation, you can probably find a "Biot-Savart law" field simulation somewhere on the internet. The Biot-Savart law gives you the field from a current carrying wire segment of arbitrary geometry and it is:

eqn.gif

your formula is wrong. That's the formula to discovering the 9th chevron of the stargate. :lol:

ah, yes. Remember it well. (d)on't (B)e (=)someone who (d)rops (0)money thru a coil (x) as this is (r)idiculuous and I have (4) (p)eople who say, in fact, it is (r)3 times ridiculous.
Sorry, it was my 1,000 post and I had to make a good one!

ah, yes. Remember it well. (d)on't (B)e (=)someone who (d)rops (0)money thru a coil (x) as this is (r)idiculuous and I have (4) (p)eople who say, in fact, it is (r)3 times ridiculous.
Sorry, it was my 1,000 post and I had to make a good one!

My vote for best post of the day........:lol:

Back
Top Bottom