Do you really need a 150 dollar scoop?

Candidus

I just bought a used Infinium, it is my first detector.... Going to the Bahamas in March and can't wait for my first real find. But do I really need to spend a lot of money for a good scoop? Can I make one or does anyone know where to buy something that works just as well from Home Depot or something?

TIA

Candidus

I made a scoop, then bought a $30 hand scoop, then spent the $150 and got a good scoop.

This is my opinion but a good scoop to me means all the difference between a good day detecting and frustration from bending down to scoop or fiddling with my home-made scoop.

There are travel scoops to make it easier to take with you, but I vote good scoop (probably less than $150 if you give a call to Bart from Big Boys Hobbies or another sponsor here).

Good luck and HH!

Yes, you NEED to buy one of those expensive scoops that made for wet beach digging. The cheap stuff is for dry sand only. The weight and force needed for digging in wet sand will break any scoop not made for it.

I made a scoop, then bought a $30 hand scoop, then spent the $150 and got a good scoop.

Good luck and HH!

LOL SOLD!

So any recommendations on a good vrs bad $$150 scoop then? I like the idea of easily traveling, breakdown, etc.... Maybe one that fits a standard mop handle... I can get mop handle anywhere I go.

thanks Again!

Yes, you NEED to buy one of those expensive scoops that made for wet beach digging. The cheap stuff is for dry sand only. The weight and force needed for digging in wet sand will break any scoop not made for it.

I agree with Jason, The Scoop is THE essential tool after the detector, you've plan a trip to Bahamas this can be your lucky holiday! who knows what you can find. Now just think that you get one of those cheap creepy scoop that break during a good beach/ shallow water hunt, would you be able to find another scoop in Bahamas to replace it?

Its now 6 years that I've been metal detecting here in Mauritius, there are no metal detecting stores around here, and I've made about 6+ scoops, sound too much but we never know...

All of the major makers have "travel" ones... A mop handle will not hold up, you'll need to get the travel version.

So... I have an RTG travel scoop from Big Boy Hobbies. Talk to Bart (or PM.. he's in the classifieds all over the place and here www.bigboyshobbies.net) and he'll get you a really good deal.

Stavr scoops has a travel handle version too... never used it but some swear by them. I see both all over the beaches here.

Good luck and happy hunting!

I took the same path many took- I made one, it broke, I fixed it, it broke again then I bought one. Although im currently between scoops right now mine was stolen from the bed of truck where it basicly lived. im debating on investing in a new one but I dont water hunt so my shovel works for now.

I use an RTG aluminum scoop with stainless lip, the handle is one piece.

The biggest problem will be the travel scoop part, most handles that break into 2 pieces end up bending and becoming loose where they connect. Sunspot has a travel handle that looks to be the sturdiest of the bunch, but it's like $50 or something, plus the $150 for the scoop head...

This is my opinion but a good scoop to me means all the difference between a good day detecting and frustration from bending down to scoop or fiddling with my home-made scoop.

+1 on this one.

get yourself a good scoop right away - you will end up diggin BIG holes with that nice machine you have got!!!

If you are on a budget, then use a shovel and a homemade sifting screen.

Stavr is your best option - build like a tank, and if you make the handle the weak spot, then you can make the repairs by yourself, if you get too rough on the scoop!!

go hunting with a shovel, take some pictures of the ground you are hunting in, and send them to Stavr. - He knows what he are doing and the pic's will give him an opportunity to advise you properly. - you can trust Stavr, everybody tells the same story about the good service!

Happy hunting

/Steffen

The travel RTG I have I took the screws out and replaced them with stainless bolts. No wobble and I'm fairly certain it's not going to bend. They build them pretty well...

I would definitely recommend a stainless scoop or at least one with a stainless tip. I've driven mine straight down into the sand, only to find a shell bed an inch or so down. It has a nick or two in the tip now, if it was an aluminum tip, I'm sure it would be finished by now.
I was digging a signal that turned out to be a dept of transportation marker stake. I thought it was a small target (only detected the tip) until I began to pry it up with the scoop. A strong handle is a must.

Scoop

No just make your own. Just get some SS metal and drill the holes and then have it welded together. A little time consuming but you will save some $$$ Thats is what i have done.

Come on, your going to the bahamas so whats another 150.00?:lol: I have three home made and one factory made. i use my home made one most of the time. If you can make one you like go for it.

Back
Top Bottom