My Equinox 800 Take (Tests and Commentary)

I see in your test you use 0 iron bias setting and you hit. The 800 has 0 to 7 setting. The 600 0 to 3 setting. So then If I go for the 600 only having 0 to 3 iron bias settings should not worry me being you did well on 0, the lower settings. what do you think?

correct 0 same on both. eq6 1= eq8 2, eq6 2 = eq8 4, eq6 3 = eq8 6

Robm --

Just want to make sure you understand what detectingMO is saying here, in response to your question.

I read in your question that you might be thinking that 0 setting on the 600 is equal to 0 setting on the 800, 1 setting on the 600 is equal to 1 setting on the 800, 2 setting on the 600 is equal to 2 setting on the 800, etc.

That is NOT the case, as detectingMO said. It might be better to think of the 600's settings as "none, low, medium, high," instead of 0,1,2,3. Another way to say it is, the 800 allows "finer" adjustments to be made throughout the range from "low" to "high," but on the 600 you can still run "low, medium, and high" iron bias. Just not as much "fine tuning" on the 600 as the 800.

Steve

:laughing:
Great test idea , since you want to compare the Deus with the Equinox 800, let's do a submerged steam test , and see which detector win's, howboutit :?: Maybe someone here can enlighten me, as to why, your comparing these to machine's when they are a different breed.:?: I thought all along TNSS was going to give a review of the Equinox 800 only, why, he has been playing with two Deus unit's maybe more for year's, do to the fact that the Equinox is a new machine to him, setting's wise, i would say he would know how to set the Deus up to win every time, don't want to start a fuss here, but before he got the Equinox , i said something to him, without month's of using, getting to know, the Equinox 800, it's like comparing apples to oranges that he's been eating for years :imo::my2cents:

Earl,
A couple things.
First a certain person stated early on that Equinox was faster than a Deus.
Like on about Sep 17, 2017.
Next, I got a little peek at a slide show in Phoenix Az I believe, I seen a pic of a slide being shown at what was the Minelab dealer's conference.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-yKHpUiHQZc
Next, anyone coming here to read this thread is doing so at their own risk.

I have had several folks already ask questions about other detectors too, how they compare to Equinox.

When I get a detector, I always like to know. Am I swinging something special,
What does this detector do for me my other won't, or can't do.

I don't what to take a knife to gunfight.

As far as making Deus win, lol, are you paying attention here?

I likely won't do any Deus comparisons for a while now.
Why?
Because I saw some thing yesterday while actually comparing that leads me to think.
Best next step is to do a comparison to Equinox itself between the detect modes.

If I can determine what mode or modes is doing the better things depending on separation, depth, unmasking, I may then go back and compare again to Deus and maybe other detectors.

Nothing wrong with comparing vlf detectors to one another.

Biggest thing is to tell the truth.

I truly think just based on what I've seen so far comparing Deus to Equinox,,Deus was a detector Minelab really studied when designing and engineering the Equinox. And Deus may be the reason (or one of) for this Multi IQ tech (multi freq).

Earl,
I can also say now based on my testing, both detectors are very good.
And I WON'T be selling selling my Equinox or my Deus units.
A killer pair of detectors. The way I see it right now.
And since I have mentioned Nokta Impact in this thread, it won't be going anywhere either. It too is very good. Anyone who gets to be around an old home site, the impact and small football coil will show you a thing or 2-Trust me.

Last edited:
Time for another pic and test here. US nickel in pic.
The test I did here a little different. All previous test above Equinox was at factory park 2 disc setting, except for when I talked above about going to AM.
106yi6h.jpg

On this test what I did was reduced disc setting on both Deus and Equinox just to the point where no audio was given on the nails when swept in configuration in pic.
This meant going to 5.6 on Deus and accepting 0 disc setting on Equinox.
Used multi freq with Equinox.
Using these disc settings how did the 2 detectors compare when swept?
Remember Deus is wearing 11" LF coil.

User of Deus needs to be in 4 reactivity to get a hit on nickel. Tone is very short sounding, sporadic giving tone when swept.

Equinox gives fuller tone and although it is somewhat inconsistent giving tone. When sweeping what's in the pic. Equinox by a cat whisker. Speed 8 setting worked too detecting the nickel. But again when Equinox reports a user won't be so confused trying to figure out what they heard.
TNSS, everybody does these tests with old iron nails, but you hardly ever see anyone doing this with aluminum pulltabs or pieces of canslaw. I think using aluminum would be more of a real world test to those of us who mainly hunt for clad, silver and gold in parks. It would be interesting to see of the EQ would pick up a dime in the same test you did above, but with square tabs or old beavertail tabs instead of nails.

Great test idea , since you want to compare the Deus with the Equinox 800, let's do a submerged steam test , and see which detector win's, howboutit :?: Maybe someone here can enlighten me, as to why, your comparing these to machine's when they are a different breed.:?: I thought all along TNSS was going to give a review of the Equinox 800 only, why, he has been playing with two Deus unit's maybe more for year's, do to the fact that the Equinox is a new machine to him, setting's wise, i would say he would know how to set the Deus up to win every time, don't want to start a fuss here, but before he got the Equinox , i said something to him, without month's of using, getting to know, the Equinox 800, it's like comparing apples to oranges that he's been eating for years :imo::my2cents:

Earl you might want to save some clams for the new gen go find that's fixing to come out. And the new gen CTX 4040. I think its why these new Noxs are below 1000 clams. Its because the new CTX technology will be $3500:shock: No way the NOX is the final product. Still though I predict the NOX here will be a mostly beach machine. Every inland spot I hunt has too much canslaw etc. to ever let you enjoy hunting low conductors. Youd need a sodcutter and take home the grass from the last place I hunted. Inland guys should be able to just use a 600. We shall see!

Alright more test.
Interesting results too.
It's 5:30 AM when I did I in the dark, rain moving in.

Deep nickel test like 11" deep.

Park 1 notta -- can't find a set of setting to hit.
Park 2 - great signal speed setting 4 iron bias 0 gives grand signal, probably gives best signal on this nickel any detector I have run.
Field 1 hits slightly but I need a super fast coil sweep.
Field 2 hits nickel but is giving iron tone.

Park 2 I also checked using single freq ops.
5khz notta (as to be expected)
10khz - a bump of audio
15khz - good signal
20khZ- good signal
40-khz good signal.

But multi freq had strongest signal vs any single frequency ops.

Ground balance
Notice park 2 default setting is O.
I checked this nickel using 0 GB setting, nickel signal,warbly sounding, tad weaker vs gB set to actual ground (34 in window)
I even checked nickel sweeping, and incrementally raising GB. I could here a linear signal improvement as I got nearer to actual ground GB setting.

Tracking GB
Some on other forums are asking questions about it.
They should find and read this.

Question, can a person turn on detector and NOT GB and turn on tracking and hunt?
Sure
But based on what I saw this morning it could cost a person a find or 2 depending.
Why?
When I do actual pumping GB the number 34 pops in meter using Park 2.
So I dialed GB to zero setting turned on tracking and sweep continuously the nickel. After 60 seconds of sweeping I checked number in window with GB selected,,number in window still low, had climbed some, was at 18.
So redialed GB back to 0 and repeated, except swept deep nickel for 90 seconds. This this time Equinox was very close when I peeked in window looking at GB number.

So, park 2, why does it strike this nickel so good and the others detect modes seems don't.
Don't know exactly, but love what I see.
Remember my soil is medium mineralized.

Also don't forget what I stated earlier about GB numbers when Equinox is balanced yield different numbers in meter depending on detect mode used.

Need to check a deep higher conductive coin and see what happens using the different detect modes. I will.

Last edited:
Alright more test.
Interesting results too.
It's 5:30 AM when I did I in the dark, rain moving in.

Deep nickel test like 11" deep.

Park 1 notta -- can't find a set of setting to hit.
Park 2 - great signal speed setting 4 iron bias 0 gives grand signal, probably gives best signal on this nickel any detector I have run.
Field 1 hits slightly but I need a super fast coil sweep.
Field 2 hits nickel but is giving iron tone.

Park 2 I also checked using single freq ops.
5khz notta (as to be expected)
10khz - a bump of audio
15khz - good signal
20khZ- good signal
40-khz good signal.

But multi freq had strongest signal vs any single frequency ops.

Ground balance
Notice park 2 default setting is O.
I checked this nickel using 0 GB setting, nickel signal,warbly sounding, tad weaker vs gB set to actual ground (34 in window)
I even checked nickel sweeping, and incrementally raising GB. I could here a linear signal improvement as I got nearer to actual ground GB setting.

Tracking GB
Some on other forums are asking questions about it.
They should find and read this.

Question, can a person turn on detector and NOT GB and turn on tracking and hunt?
Sure
But based on what I saw this morning it could cost a person a find or 2 depending.
Why?
When I do actual pumping GB the number 34 pops in meter using Park 2.
So I dialed GB to zero setting turned on tracking and sweep continuously the nickel. After 60 seconds of sweeping I checked number in window with GB selected,,number in window still low, had climbed some, was at 18.
So redialed GB back to 0 and repeated, except swept deep nickel for 90 seconds. This this time Equinox was very close when I peeked in window looking at GB number.

So, park 2, why does it strike this nickel so good and the others detect models don't?
Don't know exactly, but love what I see.
Remember my soil is medium mineralized.

Also don't forget what I stated earlier about GB numbers when Equinox is balanced yield different numbers in meter depending on detect mode used.

Need to check a deep higher conductive coin and see what happens using the different detect modes. I will.

That's some great info right there! Thanks!

So far I see no real benefits for depth running a GB below ground actual ground setting.

And from testing, going higher than actual ground readout, NOT a good practice, will destroy signals.

So far as far as sensitivity goes, going from 20 to 25 I see small small coil height possible and still detect some deeper nonferrous. But sensitivity setting 25 max, seems some washing goes on with signals. Could my ground being real wet be a factor? Causing.

I won't know till it dries up, like late March hopefully.

I have experienced ZERO EMI problems running in Multi frequency( have not heard any background humming, static, etc). My time less using single frequency operation, but I have not had any emi problems with single frequency either thus far.

Also of note, remember my soil usually makes Deus mineralization strength meter read approx half scale. Fisher F75 shows 4 bars most of the time. Seems the lowest speed setting I can use and get good clear signals using Equino is level 4. Any lower signal gets chopped, and coil sweep speed becomes much more critical.

Last edited:
Itsaring/ TNSS

Larry get mine today, waiting for the brown truck, hunted with the CTX3030 yesterday with the 17 on the beach, i couldn;t get my Sunray Gold CTX headphones to work when i plugged it into the module, just the machine, it was pared up, who knows , anyway the real test will be , at the beach CTX3030 with the 17 vs Equinox with the 15 -when the accessories land in :roll:. I won't pay more for a CTX whatever, TNSS it's all good bro., enjoy you 800 , i pretty sure i will, happy hunting, happy testing, thanks Earl PS Larry Go Pro 35 on it's way to, i see some time saved with FE tones :yes::D

TNSS, everybody does these tests with old iron nails, but you hardly ever see anyone doing this with aluminum pulltabs or pieces of canslaw. I think using aluminum would be more of a real world test to those of us who mainly hunt for clad, silver and gold in parks. It would be interesting to see of the EQ would pick up a dime in the same test you did above, but with square tabs or old beavertail tabs instead of nails.

Hallelujah! That would be wonderful. I hunt some old places that have been In use for 150 years but now have a carpet of pull tabs. And old nails that ID as quarters sometimes, but my real nemesis is the dreaded pull tab and can slaw. I must say that in the short time I've been using the Deus I find that it works better than others I have used in those places (not mind blowingly, but that may come with practice). I'm tempted to buy an Equinox because from what I've seen from the videos, it seems much easier to use for us regular mortals. :) So I wod also like to see some real "park trash" tests.

I will do, let it quit raining first.

I sure don't like digging them do you?

So what can a user do, that's easy to expose a lot of them, so you don't waste your time digging.

This procedure here seems to work for me although I haven't swept all known steel bottlecaps.

An Equinox 800 users will have it a tad easier doing.

Using multi frequency can expose some bottle caps win low TID even scratchy tone, but why stand over one trying to decipher when there is I think a better way to be more conclusive.

Try the following at home on a few.

Sweep using Mulit frequency. Note ID in the meter. Then toggle to 5khz and watch meter reading.

Notice anything?

You should see rather high ID- a llot higher than you witnessed using multi frequency.

Now a 600 user has 2 options to get to 5khz to check either cycle over to 5khz using freq button, or have a detect mode set up with 5khz. And then scroll to the mode you selected to install 5khz.

Equinox 800 model users can do the above, but easier to have a program saved using your user profile button. Then all you have to do is hit this button to check a suspect target, and when done hit the user profile button again and you are back to your detect program you were using initially.

Give this a try,

Btw, what happens if you hit a gold ring say, that reads low like 12 using Mulit freq, and cycle and chedk using 5 kHz, Well it may read very similar to what it read using Mulit freq or lower or not at all (usually deeper ). If this happens this would likely show what's under your coil is not a steel bottlecap.

Don't confuse aluminum twist caps for steel bottlecaps.

Unfortunately aluminum twist caps there are no "not even" close ways to discern them from a possible good nonferrous target. They will ID like some coins can, even some worthy jewelry, etc.

I sure don't like digging them do you?

So what can a user do, that's easy to expose a lot of them, so you don't waste your time digging.

This procedure here seems to work for me although I haven't swept all known steel bottlecaps.

An Equinox 800 users will have it a tad easier doing.

Using multi frequency can expose some bottle caps win low TID even scratchy tone, but why stand over one trying to decipher when there is I think a better way to be more conclusive.

Try the following at home on a few.

Sweep using Mulit frequency. Note ID in the meter. Then toggle to 5khz and watch meter reading.

Notice anything?

You should see rather high ID- a llot higher than you witnessed using multi frequency.

Now a 600 user has 2 options to get to 5khz to check either cycle over to 5khz using freq button, or have a detect mode set up with 5khz. And then scroll to the mode you selected to install 5khz.

Equinox 800 model users can do the above, but easier to have a program saved using your user profile button. Then all you have to do is hit this button to check a suspect target, and when done hit the user profile button again and you are back to your detect program you were using initially.

Give this a try,

Btw, what happens if you hit a gold ring say, that reads low like 12 using Mulit freq, and cycle and chedk using 5 kHz, Well it may read very similar to what it read using Mulit freq or lower or not at all (usually deeper ). If this happens this would likely show what's under your coil is not a steel bottlecap.

Don't confuse aluminum twist caps for steel bottlecaps.

Unfortunately aluminum twist caps there are no "not even" close ways to discern them from a possible good nonferrous target. They will ID like some coins can, even some worthy jewelry, etc.

Having to switch frequency to ID steel bottlecaps was one thing I hated about the Deus. I hunt a lot of areas that are loaded with them. I was really worried about the ID of the Nox when I saw that the ID numbers did not go 1-99. I had the Xterra 505 and the 705 and the 705 ID'ed so much better than the 505 because of the extra numbers. I would think that the VDI might be an issue when it comes to coinshooting in trashy areas.

Having to switch frequency to ID steel bottlecaps was one thing I hated about the Deus. I hunt a lot of areas that are loaded with them. I was really worried about the ID of the Nox when I saw that the ID numbers did not go 1-99. I had the Xterra 505 and the 705 and the 705 ID'ed so much better than the 505 because of the extra numbers. I would think that the VDI might be an issue when it comes to coinshooting in trashy areas.

Only the higher quality style caps like on Corona beer bottles will read into coin range. The older rusty read like 10-16. So nickels could read similar/like, but if you get a 12 or 13 in the meter, hit it with 5khz, if it still,read 11/12 or 13 and not 19 or higher, likely a nickel or a nonferrous with nickel like conductivity.

Also if you check with 5khz and target drops out, could mean heavily masked nonferrous target. Mulit freq will separate and unmask a whole lot better than 5khz can. Not even close!!!! If it drops out could mean a lower conductor smaller or a lower conductor deeper. You likely will never hear Equinox give solid tone say on a 10" gold ring or a nickel (using 5khz).

This will no doubt be a best read for me until the season kicks back in gear here in the Nor'east! Great job TNsharpshooter!!!! Iv'e just lurked here since ski season took all my time as a staff trainer on weekends here for the mountain. I will order the 800 as soon as I stop this winter stuff. This machine should be easily had in March.

Equinox feedback after 10 hours testing/20 hours field time

Preliminary report here,
I claim not be be Equinox expert.

Based on my experiences only, and what detectors I have run.
Equinox compared to all other detectors with stock sized coils (this assumes Xp Deus has 11" coil), Equinox seems for a 11" stock coil to have the widest range of being able to find lower and higher conductors, both biggest, bigger, medium, small, and smallest.

A great one detector, one coil setup to detect with.

Relics hunters I think will enjoy, so will coin hunters.

If Equinox had available a 6" coil, a 9" coil along with the 11" stock coil, I would buy all and likely call it a day. Would not even care for having another model detector for my needs.
This above however is conditional, meaning if smaller coil performance , of a high percentage of performance is transitioned to the smaller coils, realizing an expected loss of depth, would do me.

Equinox is user friendly at reporting targets nonferrous even in my soil. Crystal clear.

The word obsolete has been used. Not by me but you know who.
Well, so far after putting in 9 hours between 3 sites (older), sites I have crushed multiple, multiple, multiple,times with Deus all coils,except the 11x13" LF coil, so far nonferrous finds in these sites using Equinox are scant. But remember what I paid for my Deus and coils, not to mention how many hunts , rehunts, to clean the site out of nonferrous.
Could I have taken Equinox and stocker coil along with 6" coil using Equinox and clean out in fewer hours, with fewer hunts??? I don't know.

But I am reporting what has happened so far.

I did make some finds, but quantities for time spent not earth shattering.

Imo Equinox will give detectorist more green horn detectorist., a shorter learning curve, These folks will be digging nonferrous finds that using a lot of other detectors would take far longer to learn and master to be as successful.

I have not used the headphone module or have plugged in to detector with wired headphones.

So, I have only used wireless headphones.
Based on what I heard today, imo serious iron workers with Equinox should opt for using the headphone module, or plugin to detector. Seems to me, once you get to speed 7 setting, or higher, the wireless headphones using blue tooth, things are starting to get cramped, especially speed 8 setting.

Detector in every site I have used has been very quiet, all hunting done in multi freq, with a few times transitioned to single frequency for doing a few checks.
What instability I have experience , seems was tied to detector getting out of balance. Reground balancing every time made the detector purr.

Today I ran the detector I think on edge as far as I can go with the exception of using sensitivity levels 24 and 25.

Ground here has been exceeding wet. This moisture could be holding Equinox back some on its performance. If When it gets drier, and going back to sites I mentioned above, and have different experiences, I will admit and post.

So I'll post a pic of my finds in these 3 sites.

Two items top right are ferrous- piece of stainless steel and the other a ball of iron.

amzcb6.jpg

Side bar here.... This thread seems to show much interest in "Learning" vs hijacking about other machines like in earlier threads.... Like Impact and others. This thread has a great focus and I pray it will stay so. Some of us appreciate all you do to be objective and honest above all else. Keep doing what you are doing sir....

1986 - Al Capones Vault

1999 - Y2K Scare

any hyped up Hollywierd movie......

2018 - Minelab Equinox

Seriously, From the few videos Ive seen, There is nothing game changing about this machine. Of course I would like to try one for myself and give it a first hand test.

My idea of game changing would be an absolute 100% id of any coin, (nationality taken into account) at any depth.
100% descrimination of pull tabs and bottle caps.
100% ID of rings against pulltabs.
100% ID of gold and silver.
And the machine should have a mind control device to coerce any property owner to allow you to detect at will on their property.......... :laughing:

1986 - Al Capones Vault

1999 - Y2K Scare

any hyped up Hollywierd movie......

2018 - Minelab Equinox

Seriously, From the few videos Ive seen, There is nothing game changing about this machine. Of course I would like to try one for myself and give it a first hand test.

My idea of game changing would be an absolute 100% id of any coin, (nationality taken into account) at any depth.
100% descrimination of pull tabs and bottle caps.
100% ID of rings against pulltabs.
100% ID of gold and silver.
And the machine should have a mind control device to coerce any property owner to allow you to detect at will on their property.......... :laughing:

That's ok.
What this means is just one more Equinox for someone who wants.

Seen any at max vs Equinox vids yet?
Might change your mind when you do.

Equinox 800 locks on to nonferrous targets. With super quality audio. Even real small nonferrous.

Has anyone done any side by side comparisons between Multi IQ and FBS/FBS2 on live digs? That would be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom