dug a PROOF 1957 Rosie! Plus multiple Silvers on 3 Hunts!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Am thankful to have gotten out detecting three times in the last week, and grateful to have made some decent finds. Nothing "earth shaking" like many of you, but still some fun recoveries.

The first trip was north to the nearby Big City, where I decided to try an area with 1930-50's homes. This time frame has pretty much always produced some silvers, and it did again, with 3 home permissions producing some modern silvers... 2 Silver Rosies, a Merc Dime, and Silver War nickel, along with wheat cents and modern clad, a full date 1935 Buffalo Nickel, a Missoula Transit Token, and a small STERLING ring with red stone.

The next trip was interesting, as I didn't have my MSO maps with me. I eventually wandered into an area of town that I had not tried before. I noticed that a whole half block of structures had been torn down and hauled away, with some weedy partially bare ground remaining. I asked a couple of nice ladies out walking by there for info, they mentioned that it had been a trashy trailer park, with fights, arson, drugs etc and the city had condemned the property and removed the trailers. Well... I looked at the other homes in the area and saw some that clearly went back to about 1905, and I thought that "perhaps" there might have been older homes at one time that were torn down to put in the trailer park. Being city property with no detecting restrictions, I hopped the sidewalk and started finding some modern clad. After some time, I got a nice smooth "90" on the AT Pro, and was delighted to pull out a Standing Liberty Quarter! About 8" away I got a similar signal, and pulled out a 1939-D Silver Washington Quarter! Ok... there WERE older structures here, and it is on like Donkey Kong! I kept detecting, eventually finding a Western Montana Building and Loan pin, a Canadian Looney, a nice Merc Dime and Silver Rosie, so 4 silvers so far. Only 1 wheat cent which surprised me. I do need to go back, I tried to today but got distracted by a few permissions to detect before I could get there!:lol:

Today's hunt was also up in Missoula, I ran into an older woman (probably in her early 70's) detecting a curb strip with an AT Max, the first person I've seen detecting there in a couple of years. Gave her my contact info as she was fairly new to detecting and I offered to help out with some tips. I had work to do then, and could not detect till afternoon, but managed 3 yard permissions and the corresponding curb strip sections, pulled about a dozen wheat cents including a 1909-VDB, and a couple of Silver Rosies. One of the Rosies is definitely a PROOF coin, it does not show too well in the photos but is strongly struck with pure mirror finish around the FDR image. Philly mint too. First Proof coin I've ever detected, fun that it was silver!

Anyway, a fun group of hunts, happy to have found multiple shiny coins! I did get rained out late this afternoon so it was time to head home and post a story to the Friendly Forum, thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 250
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 247
  • coin3.jpg
    coin3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 242
  • coin4.jpg
    coin4.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 246
Glad you were able to get out and to some new hunt areas too. Looks like it paid off well. Nice job as usual!

Looks like you had a good run of hunts! :cool3:

LOL, I'm envious of those who are out detecting. Rain here, waiting on a couple coils, and holiday weekend coming up (where I avoid the masses and stay home) makes it great to come here and see what others are finding.

Congrats on the finds!

Glad you were able to get out and to some new hunt areas too. Looks like it paid off well. Nice job as usual!

Thanks Todd! It has been a pretty wet spring here in Western MT so to get 3 hunts in one week was a treat!

Looks like you had a good run of hunts! :cool3:

LOL, I'm envious of those who are out detecting. Rain here, waiting on a couple coils, and holiday weekend coming up (where I avoid the masses and stay home) makes it great to come here and see what others are finding.

Congrats on the finds!

Thank you Gauntlet! Hope you can get out soon. The AT Pro can still find the goodies. A wet spring here too, not much chance of getting out so was happy to have had a chance this last week, even for only a few hours at a time.

Some very rewarding outings David. Added some major count to your coffers and maybe found another hunting buddy to spend time with in the future.Trapper

Some very rewarding outings David. Added some major count to your coffers and maybe found another hunting buddy to spend time with in the future.Trapper

Thanks Trapper! I'm way behind the last several years on the shiny count, due to work work work weather cold snow rain so was glad to pull some shiny. Congrats on your excellent year from those road trips to nearby areas of your youth that are sure producing!

Nice variety of finds and enjoyed reading the write-up. Sure wish more of those SLQ's came out of the ground! Oh well, that's what keeps us going.

A proof coin has never entered public circulation, nor has it served as currency in the market.

But still a nice find along with the rest...

Great finds. Glad you are out and getting into the shiny.

I will be back up there in less than two weeks. Look foward to getting out detecting with you.

Very Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!! Nice Silvers!!!

Thank you RJ!

A proof coin has never entered public circulation, nor has it served as currency in the market.

Thank you DFX Gregg. Yep, never intended for circulation, but I suspect more than one set was broken open and spent by kids or someone needing money. This one is definitely from a proof set, would love to know the story how it got lost in that front yard.

Great finds. Glad you are out and getting into the shiny.

I will be back up there in less than two weeks. Look foward to getting out detecting with you.

Thanks Josh, keep in touch!

Man! That's a lot of good Silvah!👍

Thanks Metal! Took 3 hunts to gather all that shiny and fun doing it!

Nice group of silvers, Dave! Better get back before the excavators do. Theyre building like crazy around our parts.

Gregg, I found several proof dimes while roll hunting, and also proof halves…they’re definitely out there, I think a lot of silver enters circulation when heirs dump coin collections, I found over 1,000 silvers in six years of roll hunting.

Gregg, I found several proof dimes while roll hunting, and also proof halves…they’re definitely out there, I think a lot of silver enters circulation when heirs dump coin collections, I found over 1,000 silvers in six years of roll hunting.

Wow nice amount...I understand they can get out...just the condition definitely changes once in circulation...

Nice pile of silver, Shiny!

Thank you amc rulz!

That's a lot of silver there, you definitely do well up there! Congrats :)

Thank you GroundSweeper!

Wow nice amount...I understand they can get out...just the condition definitely changes once in circulation...

This proof 57-P looks like it was dropped right out of the packaging, a flawless mirror finish to the background, I was very surprised, and when I dug it the coin looked really bright.

Back
Top Bottom