Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 01:10 AM

Default B H Platinum

I have a Bounty Hunter Platinum and when I detect I dig where the center of my coil is at and find nothing. Should I be digging towards the top of the coil? I have an 11 inch DD coil.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:16 AM
Elite Member

Are you using a pin pointer?

Old 09-16-2018, 01:23 AM

Default B H Platinum

Yes, and at times when I dig the plug, It does not pick up a signal. I know if the detector shows the target at 2-4 inches and I dig to 5 I find nothing. Could my sensitivity be too low?

Old 09-16-2018, 01:40 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by hardground View post
Yes, and at times when I dig the plug, It does not pick up a signal. I know if the detector shows the target at 2-4 inches and I dig to 5 I find nothing. Could my sensitivity be too low?
My guess would be sensitivity would be too high. Try practice tests in a yard.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by hardground I have a Bounty Hunter Platinum and when I detect I dig where the center of my coil is at and find nothing. Should I be digging towards the top of the coil? I have an 11 inch DD coil.
If the target is a coin or ring or similar round-shaped object, and if it is positioned flat-to-the-search coil, it is usually easy to learn to pinpoint the target which will be in-line with the center axis of your search coil.

Note the following:
• It is usually easier to Pinpoint with a smaller coil than a larger coil.
• Concentric search coils Pinpoint easier than Double-D type coils.
• A coin-like object that is canted on an angle is generally going to be off-center from the Pinpointed spot due to the relationship with the coil's EMF.
• Elongated or odd-shaped objects can also be more difficult to Pinpoint spot-on due to their shape and orientation to the coil's EMF.

Also, needler420 asked if you have a pinpointer and you said Yes, and I wonder what brand Pinpointer you have. It quite possibly could be an inferior design with insufficient depth and sensitivity as you should be able to isolate a located targets in the removed soil or in the plug.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... or ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
503-481-8147
Nokta / Makro:(4), Teknetics:(1), Tesoro:(2), White's:(3)

Old 09-16-2018, 08:27 AM
Elite Member

Normally with a DD coil, once you have “X-ed” the target and have it centered under the coil, dig a plug. At that point, you can also pull the coil straight back and the target will be at the front edge of the coil. The BH Platinum is a good detector, almost similar to the Teknetics Gamma 6000. Good luck and Happy Hunting

Old 09-16-2018, 11:07 AM

I have a Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, I will try yard testing as suggested by Needler 420. I appreciate the help.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:37 PM
Elite Member

I assume when you pinpoint you note the width of the beep and/or how high you can raise the coil before the beep disappears. Objects larger than coins will show a shallow depth when they are actually deeper. But you probably already knew that. Sometimes I have trouble being sure, other times it is more obvious. I have many detectors and on some, a large deep object disappears maybe 6" above ground, but on another detector it is maybe 10" above ground.