Lets talk about UPGRADES(long)

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
With talk about the new White's Vision and the E-Trac already on the shelf, I thought it could be fun to talk about detector upgrades.

How many of us have thought about upgrading our detector only to be disappointed in the results? Yup, been there done that! In fact I sometimes feel I'm a gluten for punishment for continuing to look for the holy grail of metal detectors. We are enticed by a few extra features and fancy stickers into believing this could be the one.

After years of detecting and many many detectors I've noticed a pattern in detector technology. There generally is not much depth difference between the lower end and higher end range of detectors when in the hands of a competent user. The vast majority of todays lower end detectors are capable of probably 7-8" in the hands of an experienced user, and the higher end detectors can squeeze out a few more inches down to the 9-10" depth or perhaps a tab deeper. It was the same years ago, only less depth.

Back a few years I could squeeze roughly 4 maybe 5", on a good day, out of my Tesoro Mayan. I bought a Garrett American TR with roughly the same results. Later I upgraded to the Freedom which with time I was able to get a inch or two more in depth, but nothing really life altering which is what we all hope for when we choose to upgrade. I continued to chase that holy grail with the ADS III, then the ADS VII and the grand Master Hunter. Through it all I was a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a holy grail to be found. Often I felt as though I had actually downgraded from a previous detector, but after time I found for the most part I was slow improving on my capabilities.

In 1991 I once again was fighting off that urge to find my holy grail, thinking back to all my past disappointments, but the pursuit of perfection has no conscious, nor memory so it seems. White's had introduced their new Eagle Spectrum and I was again seeing coins popping out of those old worked out sites. I just happened to get back taxes that year, man those were the days, and just had to have that detector. My hunting buddies thought I was nuts. But then they had both just bought new "cream of the crop" detectors themselves, I was just trying to keep up. Up until now I had been relying on my much longer experience to make my old detector perform along side the shiny new detectors my buddies were using.

As normal with a new detector, off we all went to the city park to test my new detector. We always tested new detectors in this park, and even though we knew it was over 100 years old, we never found more than a few wheats around the 5-6" depth. We figured the park was cleaned out by our local Garrett dealer. I remember reading posts by other people claiming to have found coins at 8" deep and I'd laugh to myself thinking these people just aren't very good at pinpointing. I really didn't believe a coin could be that deep.

So we step up to the parks band shell area and tune'm up. Remember, this is the very first time I had ever used this detector. Two steps later and I get a solid signal that my VDI says 79/dime at 6.5". My buddies checked my signal and get nothing. I check again and it's as solid as a rock. Out of this signal I recovered 3 silver dimes, 3 wheats and a silver war nickle. Two steps more and the same thing. I couldn't walk more than 2 steps without getting a solid signal that turned out to be old coins. In fact almost 50% of the recoveries had more than 1 coin. It was virgin territory in a 100 year old park below 6". I had found my holy grail.

For the next 12 years I worked that park and pulled coins as deep as 10" on a daily basis. Some 2000 old coins later it seemed the well was drying up. Once again I was haunted by that little voice that had been gone for so long. That voice telling me it's time for an upgrade. But could I ever expect the upgrade I experienced with my Eagle? I know the coins are there, if I can only get a few more inches haunted me at night.

Search for the holy grail part 2

I researched and researched, pestered people over the Internet looking for that sign. It just wasn't there. I bought a XLT thinking in 12 years there has got to have been some advancement in technology. The XLT was a great detector but other than being lighter I didn't see much difference between it and my Eagle. In fact since I had 12 years experience with my Eagle. I felt the Eagle was a little better. I now realize had I put in 12 years with the XLT, I'm sure it was every bit as good as my Eagle and probably better. Oh well, what ya gonna do?

I put in 2 hard years with the XLT and gave it every opportunity to prove itself the holy grail, but it was not to be. Not for me anyway. After 2 years I really put my nose to the grindstone and began to narrow down my search. Reading every post and asking lots of questions I started to see that while everyone tends to endorse the detector they use, there was a hidden source I had not seen before. Look at what people are finding, and look for the weak spots that are seldom talked about. I was looking closely at the DFX and the Minelab Explorer II. These people seemed to have a few commons in their posts. Depth and pulling targets from worked out sites. The weaknesses seemed to be this thing called a "learning curve" Heck, 20+ years of detecting I felt I could handle any detector made.

The kicker for me was I noticed a lack of gold posts by the Explorer users. That and complaints about the weight. I bought a new DFX and of course took it to the city park to see if lightning would strike twice. Right of the bat, which has a big influence on first impressions, the DFX hit a buffalo nickle at 8" solid as a rock. I was impressed. I continued to find sporadic coins that seemed to be beyond the abilities of my former detectors, but the holy grail it was not. I then looked again at my second choice and saw the new Explorer SE had advanced over the Explorer II and claims of "deep silver" drove me over the edge. I bought one.

Again the SE was an excellent detector, and like my DFX could consistently pull those deep coins, but it was no holy grail, and that sucker was heavy. I found myself facing the same situation I had faced many times before. Different bells & whistles, but the depth ability wasn't much better than the last detector. Since I already had 5 years on the DFX and really didn't see any advantage, I sold the SE and went back to the old faithful DFX.

This brings us up to date. My DFX continues to produce even in that city park, but I find myself, darn that little voice, hoping for another storm. That holy grail if you will. I've been eyeballing the E-Trac and really contemplating the MXT as I plan to upgrade? once again this spring. Now the new White's Vision has tossed it's name into the ring. What to do, what to do.

That my friends is why I look to upgrade. I understand all too well that knowing how to use your detector is the most important factor, but because of the lesson I learned in 1991, I also realize having the best detector can also make a big difference.

Moral to the story?
Year after year we see changes that amount to little more than cosmetic differences, but every so often detector technology takes a giant leap forward. Would you be able to spot it if it did?

Last edited:
We downgraded instead of upgrading.

Found out we didn't need all the bells and whistles. :D

Moral to the story?

Year after year we see changes that amount to little more than cosmetic differences, but every so often detector technology takes a giant leap forward. Would you be able to spot it if it did?

Very well written.

I will guarantee you somebody in 20 years time will be writing exactly the same post?

Why?

At some stage in the past/present/future the detecting world turned to “marketing a product” exercise, and in everyday life we all believe in a good advert!

Doug

Interesting responses.The last of the ice is about gone here and when i found myself in the market for a detector the more i read the more i kept thinking..if all these guys are using bounty hunters as a backup..there has to be a reason.
Id seen it so often being the case , with a new season on us we'll see if a low end detector can produce the goods.
I saved myself a bucket of cash and went for the bounty hunter..an early one at that and 2nd hand to boot.Lightly used albeit , looks the part.

Im like you as well..always looking for that "holy grail" and Ive got a closet full of expensive dust collectors to prove it..it always ends in the same way..I buy a new machine only to find its like the one I just "upgraded" from so I go back to using old reliable and the new machine may sit in the closet for a few months before it sees some use..like maybe some time out in the closet will change it?:lol: the only time I have ever bought a new machine and had that "oh wow slap in the face this is something different" experience is when I bought my Troy shadow X5..in my opinion there is not a better machine on the market than the X5 for my style of hunting..yet I have bought 2 more machines since the X5..the most recent being the MXT which I really like but I can do just as much with my X5 as I can the MXT if not a little more. and now theres that new whites vision..Ill probably break down and buy one of them but itll turn out the way it always does Im sure..Ill use it for awhile and find out its no better than my troy and either sell it or stick it in the holding cell with the others...or it could be the other way around..who knows? thats the thing..there is always that "hmm what if its better" voice in the back of my head and Ill convince myself I have to try it.

The hobby can be fickle for sure. We know first and foremost is the person behind the detector, but we can't forget location, which in my opinion shares the same importance as experience.

If you're lucky enough to live in a location where few detectors have gone before, then experience and detector choice are less important for awhile. If you live in an area of high detector traffic, then experience and detector choice are very important. If you live in an area with a lot of experienced hunters, then you had better find an edge or you're in for a disappointment. In this case cutting edge technology and experience is the key to success.

What about the Sovereign? Didn't you get one of those?

I don't think there's any one perfect detector... Sort of like any other tool, you need particular ones for particular jobs.

I kind of like my combination of the Sov GT and the BH Tracker IV. Between the two I feel pretty good and I can switch back and forth based on what I'm in the mood for.

There's so much to dig using either detector, I can't imagine needing to upgrade for quite a while.

I think there are four main factors in detecting:

1. Location
2. Skill
3. Luck
4. Machine

And I would rank them in that order of importance.

The MXT is unreal Angie I really like it. Sorry Detector didnt mean to hijack you thread-Mike

Are you kidding Mike? :lol: The SE has something like two thousand different tones. You don't think I would notice that there is suddenly only one tone?

I hear what you are saying though. :) Which is that after awhile, I would be able to do well with the MXT. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

you should buy an MXT and give me your CZ3D :D:lol:

Sold my Fisher iron-magnet several months ago. I need to modify my signature. :)

What would you want with the CZ anyway Kris? :p

hmm not sure..I guess cause Ive never owned one:lol: I have heard it likes iron tho.

The key to all this is to choose a detector that suits your needs.

Location, type of targets, type of site (trash/little trash, Iron/littes iron...)

I use older TR detectors on the dry beaches, and a Minelab FBS uniit on the wet sans beaches.

The TRs work better than any other motion detector I ever used for beach hunting, while the Minelab is a gold-killer on the wet.

So, why change?

Actually I traded my SE for another DFX. The SE was a killer detector but the weight was kicker for me. In my area the SE got about the same depth as my DFX, a tad more on the deep silver and a bit less on the gold, and because I hunt with a few buddies who use Whites, I was slowing them down. Before I could get half a yard hunted they were ready to move on.

I sold the GT as well even though it was probably the deepest detector I had ever used. I just didn't care for it as a coin shooter, and again I found myself having to go very slow. I don't have much hunting time anymore so I've got to make the best of the time I have. I have a lot of years in the DFX so It does the job I need.

I also sold my X-Terra 70. Again, a good detector, but nothing my DFX couldn't do and I already had the years in my DFX. It was a little faster than the SE or GT, but not quite the same depth.

It was the SE that converted me to using tones. And at first I didn't like the DFX's tones but now I like them better than the SE's tones. As a musician I can tell the difference between the SE and the DFX tones are pitch-bend. The SE goes from one tone to another without a cutoff, while the DFX uses pitch cutoff. You hear people refer to the tones of the SE as "fluty" this is why. The tone cutoff of the DFX makes it a tad easier to hear a more distinct difference between 2 targets(tones) very close together.

While each of these detectors had a strong point, for me the DFX was still the better all-around detector. But I'm still looking.

I am still debating on the MXT. If I run across one for the right price I'll buy it.

Last edited:
I sold the GT as well even though it was probably the deepest detector I had ever used. I just didn't care for it as a coin shooter, and again I found myself having to go very slow. I don't have much hunting time anymore so I've got to make the best of the time I have. I have a lot of years in the DFX so It does the job I need.

Let me ask you this then, in you opinion... as a guy who spends most of his time in school yards of varying age, mainly coinshooting but certainly hopeful for the occasion ring or silver coin, would I have been better off with the DFX than I am with the Sov, if only in terms of speed? I'm fascinated to hear that you didn't care for the Sov as a coin shooter as that's mainly what I use it for. I have no real complaints with it beyond the fact that I hate how heavy it is and where the box is - performance wise I think it's great.

If I find the Sov to be slow, it's only because I'm getting deeper and smaller targets which take longer to recover... but that being said, I have very little experience with other detectors. So I'm curious what I'm missing with the DFX.

I'm by no means a GT expert, and never will claim to be, but In the often short time I have a detector, I put it to the test. And that I do do well.

I had 2 reasons I chose the DFX over the GT, the main reason being I have 5 years invested in my DFX so I am very comfortable with it. If I was picking up the DFX and GT for the first time things might be different.

The GT is an awesome relic detector and holds its own in coin shooting. I do, however, feel the DFX has a slight advantage in the type of hunting I do. I had the meter with my GT, but it just does not give the amount of information the DFX does. As I said I've got to make the very best of the time I have to hunt, and the DFX is very strong in this area. Mostly because of my time invested I understand what the DFX is telling me.

The DFX, for me anyway, was a bit stronger in the gold area. I've noticed most of the Minelabs are a little weak in this area, but make it up in finding that very deep silver and those hunted out locations. It's more a persona preference than one being better than the other. I would love to keep them both, but that was just not an option at the time.

Great post Detector! I felt like I did the same thing when I went from my first MXT to my DFX. I thought the DFX was going to be so much better than the MXT but learned that they both have there place in the types of sites I hunt especially in those tough EMI areas. I didn't notice much of a difference right off the bat but after using the DFX awhile and learning it, I found coins that I missed with the MXT. All in all I really think it comes down to knowing your detector and utilizing it to its fullest potential. I bought another MXT recently, mainly for my wife, but I look forward to using it too. As for the new White's Vision I am very interested in seeing how the actual field tests go. I would still wait awhile before even thinking about buying one though.

The most important factor in finding old silver coins is Location, Location, Location. Everything else is secondary.

Well, I'll test that Vision if everyone wants to take up a collection. You laugh, but I'm serious. :p

I'm sticking with the MXT and M6 for now. They do just as well as the DFX (and better in some cases) in my area. I had the DFX long enough to learn most of it, but by no means an expert. Great machine, but like Steve said, different machines for different types of detecting.

Back
Top Bottom