Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Notices

This thread has been featured on the home page!
Old 12-08-2018, 07:29 PM
Elite Member

Default Tons of bottles - Picture heavy and Updated As I go

Hi everyone. Recently I made some trades of some hunting equipment I was selling for a bunch of bottles that a guy I know had in storage. There are some other dribs and drabs mixed in - but for the most part thats where these came from.

I have gone through probably 1000s of bottles and tried to sort them into 3 piles: trash/recyle; older corks/things i dont' want; cooler/older stuff or things I want to figure out what to do.

My plan for this thread is to post pictures of bottles - there will be lots of lots of them. These will all be from the group of bottles that are cooler/older etc. Some will be grouped in a manner that makes sense but most will just be grouped by randomness as I pull them out.

Whatever is embossed or written on the bottles will be included in the descriptions. if you know anything about them and want to share, great. if you want better pictures of something particular - let me know.

If you know that bottles I have here are worth recycling - please let me know that too. I figure a lot of the older wine bottles might be good for the wife/in-laws to use for flowers? Who knows.

Anyway - here we go. Below is a picture of one of the rooms in the basement that shows the boxes/bean crates and containers full of bottles that I've been going through.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 07:33 PM
Elite Member

All descriptions of bottles will be from left to right. Hopefully I can get the orientation of these to be ok. If not, I apologize in advance.

Picture 1: 5 unmarked wine/champagne bottles. They all have that large bubbled bottom in the glass.

Picture 2: An example of the lip on one of them

Picture 3: A group of unmarked wine bottles. Most of them are the same size but 2 are smaller.

Picture 4: A picuture of some of the lips
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Elite Member

Picture 5: Left to right. The Hebe Co Prov RI (embossed); Hunyadi Janos Saxlehners Bitterqualle (bottom); The Duffy Malt Whiskey Company Rochester NY (embossed); T.L. Neff's Sons Brooklyn NY (Embossed); Two bottles with a connected AB on the bottom. These are either Adolphus Busch Glass or American Bottle Company.

Picture 6: Lips of the duffy, Neffs and one AB

Picture 7: Left to right. Pure Malt Dept Caking Boston MASS (bottom); 2nd one is the same as first; ABCO (bottom); ABCO (Bottom); Fidelio Brewery NY (Embossed and bottom).

Picture 8: Lips on 2 Pure malt dept bottles
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Elite Member

Picture 9. Left to right. Curran and Joyce CO INC Lawerence MA (embossed); unmarked bottle; American Dry Manchester NY (embossed); unmarked bottle; unmarked bottle

Picture 10. Lips of two unmarked bottles

Picture 11. 4 different Gordons Dry Gin bottles embossed from london

Picture 12. Picture of lips from two on left
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 07:44 PM
Elite Member

Picture 13. Left to right. Old Mr. Boston (embossed); Old Mr Boston (embossed) different from 1st; Guar Full Pint V.B. Troy N.Y (Embossed); Fifteen Fluid Ounces (embossed); Bottle in thatch holder

Picture 14. Lips of Troy NY and Fifteen fluid ounces bottles

Picture 15. Left to right. The Purdue Frederick Co New York (embossed); Dr. Lesure's Veterinary Fever drops (embossed); Elm Crest Farm Dairy Ely Cabot & Sons Milk Jar (painted); E.R. Durkee & CO (Embossed); unmarked; unmarked.

Picture 16. Lips from Purdue Frederick and Veterinary Fever drops
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 08:34 PM
Elite Member

Picture 17. Left to right. Weiss Beer McKINNEY &CO 623 SO 6th ST PHILA (embossed); CO Johnson Trenton NJ (embossed); S Walter Trenton NJ (embossed); E L Kerns CO Trenton NJ (embossed); Star Bottling Co Trenton NJ (embossed).

Picture 18. Lips of the bottles in 17

Picture 19. Peter Hauck & CO Harrison NJ (embossed); Schencks Pulmonic Syrup Philad a (embossed); The Cuticura System of Curing Constitutional Humors Potter Drug & Chemical Co Boston Mass USA (embossed); Trenton Brewing CO Trenton NJ (embossed); unmarked bottle

Picture 20. Lips of bottles including small unmarked bottle on end
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 08:38 PM
Elite Member

Picture 21. Left to right. Philips milk of magesia cork (embossed); CO Johnson Trenton NJ - also has a Big J on other side; Milk of magnesia screw (embossed); coca-cola Atlanta GA (embossed).

Picture 22. Photo of CO Johnson bottle above showing big "J" on other side

Picture 23. Lark Co Buffalo (embossed); unmarked bottle; Rawleighs (embossed); unmarked bottle; Hires Improved Root Beer Makes five gallons ofa delicious drink Philadelphia PA USA Manufactured by the Charles E Hires Co (embossed on all sides); unmarked 2oz (embossed)

Picture 24. 2nd angle of bottles in picture 23
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 08:41 PM
Elite Member

Wow that is a lot to take in.

In general terms, most all the wines look last quarter of 1800s to me, the drippy lips are cool! Duffy's are nice but not rare, most sell for $20-25 range. Aqua crowntop beers are a few $ each unless embossed with a small brewer. Locals get more $ when sold in their area, because of local history interest. Those crowntop beers (pic 6) are early crowntop so 1895-1900 era. Malts generally not rare unless embossed from small brewers. Pic 8- 1880s-blobs. The Gordons are usually common but those look older than usually seen (drippy lips). Pic 15 the two unembossed ones on the right are Juice bottles 1930-50 era. They closed just like milk bottles. The fever drops is a nice circa late 1890-early 1900 med. Overall, a nice bunch of early glass.

Last edited by GLASSHOPPER1955; 12-08-2018 at 09:03 PM.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:41 PM
Elite Member

Picture 25. left to right. H E Turner Druggist Turner Falls, Mass (embossed); Davis Vegetable painkiller (embossed); Castoria Chas H Keltchers (embossed); Van Duzer New York (embossed); Castoria Chas H Keltchers (embossed).

Picture 26. 2nd angle of bottles in picture 25

Picture 27. left to right. Sylpho-Nathol Cabot (embossed); unmarked bottle; Burnetts Standard Flavoring extracts (embossed), Sloansh & BLinment Dr. E S Sloan Boston MA (embossed); HAAS Pharmacy (embossed).

Picture 28. Lips and 2nd angle of Picture 27
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 08:43 PM
Elite Member

Picture 29. Left to right. Lavoris (embossed) Lavoris chemical co minneapolis (bottom); Bell's Vanilla Flavor Claude A bell lowell, MAss (embossed); french gloss whittemore boston (embossed); Hires houshold extract philadelphia PA For making rootbeer at home (embossed all sides); unmarked bottle

Picture 30. 2nd angle of picture 29
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 08:56 PM
Elite Member

The Castoria is "Fletcher's" and very common. The druggists are nice, especially if from small towns. The Sloan's is earlier than usually seen. I would try to find out the location of the 1890s Haas. If a small local someone in that town may want it. Most extract bottles are a dollar or two unless *really * old. Pic17 Wow! Great stuff! Weiss blob is easy 1870s. The Johnson and Walter amber blobs 1880s. Pic 19- 2nd paneled blob 1870s. Pic 21- 2nd blob is also 1870s. Those are really GOOD STUFF. The Phillips is older than I've seen, prob a few $.

You may want to search your stash for embossed Bitters, "cathedral" peppersauces, 1870s Spring (water) bottles, and picture flasks. That's some real $$$ (depending...).

Over and out.

Last edited by GLASSHOPPER1955; 12-08-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:14 PM
Elite Member

Thanks for the comments and information.

I don't think there is anything special that I haven't pulled out and put aside yet. Essentially if there was some type of embossing, it was a cool shape or it looked old to me, I tried to pull them out.

There are boxes and boxes of extract bottles. At some point, I'll just put them up locally to give away instead of recycling them just becuase they look cool to me.

When I'm finally done taking pictures of everything I pulled out - then I'll just throw up pictures of the boxes full of bottles I figured weren't worthy of being pulled out.

Maybe something will jump out to someone with a trained eye......or maybe not.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:50 PM
Elite Member

Thumbs up

A lot of nice ones! I favor colored glass with blob top lips,bubbles in glass embossed writing!

Old 12-08-2018, 11:21 PM

Nice bottles yacorie. I don't know about your bottles in particular. I think the drippy tops are called applied tops. The bottle was made and the the top applied to it. Also I know if you look at the bottom of them some of the older ones will have a pontil. That was made from blowing the glass then when they broke it off there is sharp shards of glass in the middle. The color of the glass helps determine it's value.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:01 AM
Supporter

Nice ones! Im really a fan of the amber blobs.

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...
They arrested him

Old 12-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Elite Member

Beautiful lineup! Some really nice old glass mixed in there, congrats!

☆Gold-1~V's-3~Buff-11☆

Old 12-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Supporter

"You going to the club meeting tonight? Yacories giving a talk on bottles!"

("The Detectorists" modified reference)

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.