Any RV'ers or travelling detectorists out there?

It's definitely a plus. Not just rest stops, anywhere you go you have your own bathroom. And your bed, like LifeMember said. And all your other stuff. And the freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want.
I'm currently working my butt off on this old house so I can sell it and get back in the RV full time. It was the best 17 months of my life driving around the country in it twice. Wake up one morning in the Redwood Forrest National Park, the next morning literally on a beach. A few weeks later it's morning coffee at the Grand Canyon. Spend a week parked in the kids driveway in Texas. Stop in to see some friends in Chicago and spend a week eating nothing but Pizza (Pequod's, trust me!). Not to mention the jobs you can get!! Yep, I'm dying to get back on the road!!!!
I haven't come up with a downside to it yet.
Think you have a lot of us dreaming now !! HH

I full time travel in a motorhome with the wife. we do a mix of volunteering and playing. It is a great lifestyle if you have the right mind set. It also is a perfect fit for metal detecting.

I detect every chance I get. I have used this board to try to hook up with locals in areas we park for a while. This has been a mixed bag. I have been surprised at the low response I receive when I post in "Find a Hunting Buddy". Not as many people willing/interested in hunting with someone just "passing through" as I thought there would be. I guess it is a solitary hobby by it's very nature.

I have had great hunts and met nice people on the occasions someone has reached out. My oldest coin to date was the result of someone on this board recommending a hunting site.

Some of these damn thing even had outdoor TV's and automatic retractable awnings! Like what? Sitting around outside and watching a big screen TV! Wonderful! In your face Nature!

Me and the Wife were overwhelmed! We dont get out much...Most all of these creations sported "Instant On" lighting as a selling feature, or "IOL" for short...Instead of lighting a candle with a match or a kerosene or Coleman gas lantern, all you gotta do is simply flick a little switch, and Boom! The Lights come on! Instantly! Damndest thing we have ever seen! Camping out sure has changed! Whats next? Hot water on demand?:laughing:
Mud

Some of these damn thing even had outdoor TV's and automatic retractable awnings! Like what? Sitting around outside and watching a big screen TV! Wonderful! In your face Nature!

Me and the Wife were overwhelmed! We dont get out much...Most all of these creations sported "Instant On" lighting as a selling feature, or "IOL" for short...Instead of lighting a candle with a match or a kerosene or Coleman gas lantern, all you gotta do is simply flick a little switch, and Boom! The Lights come on! Instantly! Damndest thing we have ever seen! Camping out sure has changed! Whats next? Hot water on demand?:laughing:
Mud

We have a lot of the bells and whistles in our coach, including a residential fridge and washer and dryer, oh, and hot water on demand :shock:

Not everyone is camping. This is our home and we enjoy all the comforts.

I do wish manufacturers would take some of the money spent on all the bling and divert it to quality components.

I know of a guy that's giving away a 1973 Winnebago for free. He claims to have a title for it. Apparently it belonged to his Dad and he recently passed. Might be the rig that Mud needs for his cross country excursion? :yes:

I know of a guy that's giving away a 1973 Winnebago for free. He claims to have a title for it. Apparently it belonged to his Dad and he recently passed. Might be the rig that Mud needs for his cross country excursion? :yes:

That could be more trouble than what it is worth.

Hey, I just want to thank everyone for the wonderful replies....Looks like I got the Green Light from Mrs Mud to sell EVERYTHING including the house and go on an adventure! We aint getting any younger, and decided to pop the cork and go on a walkabout!

I'm gonna try to be smart about this...creative even, to offload all this stuff and make it a fun experience for all concerned...I'm strategizing some alternate methods for a decent offload...I wanna avoid the trickNtreaters, lookieloos and tire kickers...I'm not on Ebay yet.

Some of you Brothers are close and know me a little...you can schedule A private walk through!...I need serious shoppers with high end tastes, a pocket full of money, and an appreciation for nice things...like my Missus has been.....So I gotta find them and get that network activated in this area 'toot de friggin sweetly!'...:laughing: All Ideas on this regard would be appreciated and are welcome! If it goes 'Facebook Viral' in the right demographic, I'll make bank!:laughing:
Mud

Last edited:
Hey, I just want to thank everyone for the wonderful replies....Looks like I got the Green Light from Mrs Mud to sell EVERYTHING including the house and go on an adventure! We aint getting any younger, and decided to pop the cork and go on a walkabout!

I'm gonna try to be smart about this...creative even, to offload all this stuff and make it a fun experience for all concerned...I'm strategizing some alternate methods for a decent offload...I wanna avoid the trickNtreaters, lookieloos and tire kickers...I'm not on Ebay yet.

Some of you Brothers are close and know me a little...you can schedule A private walk through!...I need serious shoppers with high end tastes, a pocket full of money, and an appreciation for nice things...like my Missus has been.....So I gotta find them and get that network activated in this area 'toot de friggin sweetly!'...:laughing: All Ideas on this regard would be appreciated and are welcome! If it goes 'Facebook Viral' in the right demographic, I'll make bank!:laughing:
Mud

Lots of good reading here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f92/

Sweet LifeMember! I'm reading and gobbling up all of this! A little background if I may...Me and the Wife have been together 38yrs...lived in 7 States chasing the jobs, building houses, boats, working ranches and whatnot...Consequently, I'm a Jack of All Trades, and She is a Master of some too....Back in 1982, When we were really poor, pretty much lost it all and homeless and we lived in a pop-up camper in SD...Looking back, those were the Best Years of our Life!

I would hope we are a bit smarter now a days, and can springboard off the hard Life lessons learned and not have to go through some of them again preferably...so I'm attempting to be 'smart' about this, which is unfamiliar territory for me...therein lies the adventure I suppose...still, I need to keep Her comfortable, safe and interested...thats my primary goal to all of this...so thank you!
Mud

MUD, You have a lot to consider, SD is one of the places used for fulltimers as a mail address they have a great mail forward service and will take care of registrations. Then comes the health insurance issue, If Medicare you will be fine. If HMO you will have problems.

It sounds like you will adapt to the lifestyle with your background. You can also look into work camping. Many places will trade RV site for 20 - 30 hours a week work. They are short term lasting 6 months or more. I have 8 states under my belt chasing jobs also.

Dan,

Mud, just think, if you and your wife pull the trigger on this idea you won't need to be finding aluminum cans as much as you do now. I mean, not all states require a ten cent deposit when buying a can of soda. :laughing:

Last edited:
I've considered this idea as well . I know a guy that has an older one for sell, but in really good shape. It has a 427 motor, well maintained. I know this may be a gas hog , actually , the guy said it really wasn't to bad as long as you weren't flooring it all the time .But realistically , what is considered good fuel mileage for these things ? I know this may be a hard question to answer , but , I know a diesel powered RV would pull better for the hills , but is the fuel mileage any better than the gas ones , versus upkeep , oil changes , etc. ?

I've considered this idea as well . I know a guy that has an older one for sell, but in really good shape. It has a 427 motor, well maintained. I know this may be a gas hog , actually , the guy said it really wasn't to bad as long as you weren't flooring it all the time .But realistically , what is considered good fuel mileage for these things ? I know this may be a hard question to answer , but , I know a diesel powered RV would pull better for the hills , but is the fuel mileage any better than the gas ones , versus upkeep , oil changes , etc. ?

You are opening a whole can of worms with diesel VS gas

Good fuel mileage for both is 8 to 10 miles a gal. some better some worse both gas or diesel. diesel pulls better , rides better, and cost a lot more to fix and maintain. If buying an older gas unit figure putting another 5k in it to make it road worthy. 75 k is considered high mileage on a gas motorhome. Some will go over 100k many a lot less because of the heat in the engine area. Replace a gas motor 10k plus or minus, to replace diesel 25 k plus or minus the engine is the cheep part getting it in and out can cost 3 to 5 K in labor.

had a 26 foot motorhome v-10 gas birner, it got a whole 7 mpg. sold it..... HH blev

Congrats Mud, You have a big job ahead of you. We made the decision to full time. In less than 6 months we had sold everything that wouldn't fit in the motorhome or a 12 foot cargo trailer, even the house. Cargo trailer is at a kids house.

Selling everything you spent a lifetime acquiring is is both painful and freeing. It really puts the exclamation point on turning a new page in your life.

We had the kids in to put their name on things that had sentimental value to them. Everything else we sold.

The more expensive ship-able items (like an expensive coffee roaster) we sold on ebay. We did a giant yard sale at the same time we ran craigslist ads. The high draw items (tools, quad, jeep etc...) we listed on craigslist separately with yard sale info in each ad. We had all the high draw items real visible at the yard sell. Most of the good items actually sold due to the craiglist ads and the ads drew a lot of people to the yard sale.

What didn't sell was donated. All proceeds from the sale of all my "TOYS" I have kept separate and use it to buy new toys as we travel.

As far as mileage, our first MH was a 34' winnebago on a Chevy workhorse chassis. It got about 6 mpg in the mountains to about 7 mpg on the flats. We tow a Jeep Liberty. Our new MH is a 37' diesel. So far we are getting 8 1/2 to about 9 mpg. Remember, you are not on vacation. Slow down. We average 3-4,000 miles a year. We spend a lot of time in nice areas. It took us two years to cover the west coast.

If you go into this without debt, you will have the ability to control your 2 biggest expenses (outside of medical insurance), fuel and campground rent. Park someplace nice for a month or two and get a much cheaper monthly rate in the campground and you are only burning fuel in your toad (towed vehicle). Volunteer for a few months and you don't even have campsite rent.

Good luck, see you on the road.

Back
Top Bottom