Apex users: What Disc. settings for the 'Custom' Disc. mode?

Monte

"In Memory of"
I had discussions with some friends about our Simplex + devices, and since some of them now have an Apex, and a couple of others joined our discussions, the same question came up about the Garrett Apex, which I really enjoy, and the Discrimination 'notches' or 'segments' we 'accept' in the 'Custom' mode.

That discussion got interesting so I thought I'd extend it to any Forum user of the Apex. So, WHAT Disc. set-up to you 'accept' in the 'Custom' mode, and WHY? Other preferred setting adjustments of Frequency-choice preferences? Search coil favorite?

I use the following for all four of my Garrett Apex devices. Actually, I only have and use 3 Apex / Coil combinations. My primary-use Apex sports the excellent 'Ripper' DD coil. For open-area searches I grab Apex #2 that I keep the 'Raider' coil mounted, and for very tight, confined places with a lot of dense brush or if heavily littered, my 3rd Apex has the 5" NEL Sharp coil attached.

The 4th Apex I have available as a 'loaner-unit' for friends and family. That way we are all using the same detector so no-one will feel like they have been loaned a sub-par detector. I keep the standard 'Viper' coil attached to the 'loaner-unit'. ALL of my Apex devices are saved / shut-down so they start up in the 'Custom' mode, and all four share the same Settings, and those are:

• Sensitivity full at '8'
• Volume ............ '8'
• Iron Volume ..... '1' or '2' depending on how noisy the environment is.
• Frequency ........ 'MF' at start-up
• Frequency Shift . '5' and only changed for EMI issues. So far, I haven't had to.
• Back-light ......... 'Off' then used only when hunting at 'dark o'clock'.
• Wireless ........... 'On' as each device is already paired to their own set of MS-3 Z-Lynk wireless Headphones.

My 'Custom'mode Discrimination settings are: I accept ALL Disc. segments from '20' on up

I leave the Iron Audio function 'OFF' and only activate it for a momentary check of some questionable targets.

I have found the '20' Disc. setting helps reject some of the lowest-conductive ferrous debris but still alerts me to Iron Nails and most of the higher-conductive ferrous junk. Then I can work around it to try and isolate any partially-masked good target. In my Iron Nail 'tests' and searching some very Iron-littered old-use Relic Hunting environments, the Apex & coils have worked very well.

So, that's my approach to success with the Apex, what are yours?

Monte

I tend to use Zero mode or Relic mode. Iron vol at 2 usually - sometimes 1. Mostly MF, but I do occasionally use one of the single frequencies - just for kicks really. I am very close to the bay, so I have hunted beaches (wet salt sand) using MS but that isn't a regular thing for me.

I use iron audio the same way you do - a means of checking a target. I usually end up digging the target anyway (even if it gives an iron tone) as long as I get a repeated good tone and the target isn't large. I dig because my sites usually have so much iron/trash that it is common to find bits of iron/nails in the same hole. I'd miss a lot of good targets if I chose to skip everything that produced an iron tone.

I hunt for coins (preferably silver) and/or jewelry. Not into relics.

I have the Viper coil and the Ripper coil [5X8] but use the Ripper coil the most. I like both coils.

I have not messed with the custom mode to this point.

Tahtsadatsago: said:
I tend to use Zero mode or Relic mode. Iron vol at 2 usually - sometimes 1.
For me and most places I hunt, I don't necessarily want to 'hear-it-all' with Zero mode but do choose it now and then. The Relic mode has more low-end rejection than I care for which is why I saved a '20' Disc. setting in the Custom mode slot.

Mostly MF, but I do occasionally use one of the single frequencies - just for kicks really. I am very close to the bay, so I have hunted beaches (wet salt sand) using MS but that isn't a regular thing for me.
I always start-up at tun-on in the 'MF' function, but there are times when I have opted for a Single Frequency search, and that's generally at either 10 kHz or 15 kHz, depending upon the location and/or to counter some EMI.

What Beach Hunting I do is on firmer ground at freshwater locations and 'MF' or a Single Frequency works well.

How has the 'MS' function worked for you there on the saltwater areas?

I use iron audio the same way you do - a means of checking a target. I usually end up digging the target anyway (even if it gives an iron tone) as long as I get a repeated good tone and the target isn't large. I dig because my sites usually have so much iron/trash that it is common to find bits of iron/nails in the same hole. I'd miss a lot of good targets if I chose to skip everything that produced an iron tone.
Yes, sometimes we do recover some of that pestering Iron when we catch the hint of a potentially-good target nearby. I can't tell people how often I have plucked some very good targets in Iron trash simply because others had walked away from it. If it wasn't a rock-solid good audio, or if it didn't repeat in 2 or more directions, or if the visual response was not a 'lock-on' report, they wandered off. That's why we still have good targets out there to be found in dense Iron debris.

I hunt for coins (preferably silver) and/or jewelry. Not into relics.
Silver coins are what I shoot for, or any of the older, early-era spending change like Indian Head Cents, Shield or 'V' Nickels, and I am most eager to stumble across a really nice Trade Token. Good Jewelry is always a nice prize, too.

I have the Viper coil and the Ripper coil [5X8] but use the Ripper coil the most. I like both coils.
The standard 'Viper' coil is good and makes a decent stock coil in my opinion. However, the 'Ripper' is by far the most enjoyable and rewarding for me to use.

I have not messed with the custom mode to this point.
I think you will in time. I like it because once I know my Disc. settings, they are simply saved in the Custom mode. The Apex allows quick mode-change on-the-fly so it's easy to access the others as desired.

'Thank You' for your reply.

Monte

I've only hunted the beach twice so far (Apex) and that was really more of a test run just to see how the Apex would work in wet salt sand.

I found MS to be very stable and very effective in the wet sand. I did not go into the water though, but have no doubt that the Apex would do well as long as I didn't dunk it and ruin the machine.

In dry sand I just used MF, and the Apex performed as it does on land.

Part of my reasoning for buying the Apex was for those rare occasions when I do go to the beach. I wanted a general purpose machine that could hunt in my iron/trash permission sites, occasional trips to the beach, and potentially a park every once in awhile. Since I don't go into the water it didn't bother me that the Apex isn't waterproof. I also have two waterproof machines (Kruzer and Anfibio) in the unlikely event that I did want to hunt in the water (without worrying about dunking the machine).

I have used the Kruzer on the beach; it did pretty well but it is a lot more "busy" than the Apex is.

I'm still in the process of becoming acquainted with the Apex, but I suspect you are correct about my using the custom mode at some point. I am very impressed with the Apex thus far - it is a capable machine, and a very fun machine to use.

I've only hunted the beach twice so far (Apex) and that was really more of a test run just to see how the Apex would work in wet salt sand.

I found MS to be very stable and very effective in the wet sand. I did not go into the water though, but have no doubt that the Apex would do well as long as I didn't dunk it and ruin the machine.
My friends who live close to and hunt saltwater beaches have been impressed with the 'MS' function of the Apex.

In dry sand I just used MF, and the Apex performed as it does on land.
I hunt dry freshwater sites and inland and have been pleased with the Apex performance.

Part of my reasoning for buying the Apex was for those rare occasions when I do go to the beach. I wanted a general purpose machine that could hunt in my iron/trash permission sites, occasional trips to the beach, and potentially a park every once in awhile.
I was also hoping for a good 'general-purpose' detector and the Apex delivered. Most of my older-use sites in and near cities, plus the nasty ghost towns and other Relic Hunting locations, are a challenge with Iron Nails, and the Apex does quite well.

I'm still in the process of becoming acquainted with the Apex, but I suspect you are correct about my using the custom mode at some point. I am very impressed with the Apex thus far - it is a capable machine, and a very fun machine to use.
I, too, am quite impressed, and you summed it up when you said it is very 'capable' and definitely 'fun' to use.

Monte

Silver on edge registering as iron on Apex

Hi guys,
Regarding silver coins...maybe you have some insight on this....
I recently watched a video on YouTube by Thrace Metal Detectors demonstrating the Apex with the Viper coil identifying a silver coin-like pendant as iron (air-test) when on edge.
So...I did similar testing with my Apex (also w/ the Viper) to see if this was true of mine as well.
Unfortunately, I found that it was...for some items...but not others.
My Apex identified the following items as iron when on edge...
Fat/heavy .925 ring (TID flat 92-99; TID on edge 1-30)
Thin intertwined Tiffany .925 rings (TID flat 94-95; TID on edge 1-33)
1941 US Silver Half-Dollar (TID flat 98-99; TID on edge 'iron range', forgot to note #'s)
1968 US Silver Half-Dollar (TID flat 98-99; TID on edge 0)
1971 US Silver Dollar (TID flat 99; TID on edge 0)
There were some .925 rings and pendants the Apex identified correctly, as well as a 1945 US quarter which was a solid 92 in any orientation.
Have either of you experienced this with your Apex(s)?
I'm mostly a beach hunter and considering buying either the Detech Ultimate 11.5 or NEL Super Fly 11x12 to hopefully address the issue.

Back
Top Bottom