New- recs for affordable mds?

mildlylively

Hi there,

I'm new here and just getting started and don't even have a metal detector or know pretty much anything about them! My main interest is bottle digging so I'm most interested in getting a detector that can find buried trash heaps or privys. I don't have a lot of disposable income so something more affordable is ideal.

I've heard (from a somewhat outdated source) that the Bounty Hunter Landstar works fine for the job?

I'd appreciate any advice or recommendations! : )

Welcome to the forums! Depends on your budget really. I don't know anything about the Bounty Hunters but there is a Vanquish 440 in the FS section for a really good price. I can also recommend the Garrett ACE series as well.

Welcome to the forums! Depends on your budget really. I don't know anything about the Bounty Hunters but there is a Vanquish 440 in the FS section for a really good price. I can also recommend the Garrett ACE series as well.

Agree 100%! Vanquish is my choice for the quick and deep "coin shooter".

I did see a vanquish somewhere in the classifieds, you might have to do a bit of rummaging but I think you'll be great with that one. :D

Josh

Consider the Nokta Simplex + and the Minelab Vanquish 440 or 540. These relatively new detectors offer new technology and pack a lot of features into a reasonably priced detector.

And if you are new remember to budget for a pinpointer!

Welcome!

That one looks pretty good! Sounds like it has the 'All Metal' mode that is great for finding trash heaps. My budget is probably $250 max so the price is great too.

If you only need the all metal, than the 340 might actually be better, and you can get a pinpointer. :D

If you are going to get a metal detector new, then call a sponsor here, they'll give you the best deal. https://metaldetectingforum.com/forum_sponsors.php

Welcome from Central MA! I also started as a bottle digger. You will find detecting to be alot easier than digging bottles, not to mention alot cleaner. Good luck out there!

if you want bottles you do not even need a detector. you need a ground probe and to do some learning about how and where privy were set up on properties

Hi there,

I'm new here and just getting started and don't even have a metal detector or know pretty much anything about them! My main interest is bottle digging so I'm most interested in getting a detector that can find buried trash heaps or privys. I don't have a lot of disposable income so something more affordable is ideal.

I've heard (from a somewhat outdated source) that the Bounty Hunter Landstar works fine for the job?

I'd appreciate any advice or recommendations! : )

I am in this new the same as you. I asked Gary from Oak Island and he said if I was going to take it to a beach than the Vanquish 440 or 540 will do the job and not break the bank. 440=279.00US and 371.00CA and 540=369.00US and 491.00CA as listed on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca

:fmdfwelcome: Thanks for joining us!

From what I've gathered, you're simply looking for a metal detector that has an "all metal" mode to help you locate trash dumps; correct? I've no experience with dumps specifically, but I think that just about any metal detector will do that (provided that the dumps are not too deep for the machine to detect). Of course, purchasing the absolute cheapest model might not be the best idea, should you ever wish to use the machine for other purposes; however, I certainly understand the need to stay within a small budget. Here are links to a few models that I can recommend:

• Harbor Freight 9 Function, $59.99 (This was one of my first detectors. My family found it to be an enjoyable & affordable hobby machine. Note: I do not recommend Harbor Freight's lower model, the 6 Function, on which ground-balance must be manually adjusted every few minutes.)

• Garrett Ace 200, MSRP $199.95 or Ace 300, MSRP $299.95 (The Ace 300, available on Amazon for $254.95, is a newer version of the Ace 250, which I enjoy using as my main detector).

• Also note that you can likely purchase these or other detectors, used, on Craigslist or a similar site, for a better price. Or, check out our forum sponsors, who may be more than happy to give you a much better price on Garrett machines than MSRP.
Hope this information is helpful to you!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom