An awesome quote from my detecting research...

619_805_okie

Forum Supporter
I've been reading a history book about my county that was written in the early 1900s... in it i found a quote that really resonated with me and explains why i got into metal detecting. For me, saving pieces of history is a way i can pay tribute to past generations who struggled so much so I can have comforts today that i may not deserve...

I hope someone out there enjoys the author's words as much as i did (see below).

"Few of those who first settled in the county won wealth
or fame; pioneers in any place seldom do. They break the way, suffer privations and loss, then die or give up in despair. The second and third generations of settlers come, profit by the others' mistakes, find the foundations all laid and go on building up successful, prosperous lives, often thinking it is because they have the "gray matter" under their hats. It is nothing of the kind, it is because they have "reaped where others have sown." None of the men in San Luis Obispo County today, calling themselves rich, fought bears and cleared the "montes" for cultivation; neither have they been compelled to travel hundreds of miles on horseback, eat coarse fare and little of it, and wait for months for the letter their lonesome hearts were longing for. The pioneers have mostly gone to their graves made on lonely hillsides or in forgotten places. Some of these graves are marked by leaning headstones. More are covered with weeds and briars. They have passed on among those "unhonored and unsung" on earth, but we have faith in the God who created souls brave and strong enough to dare the wilderness, to see that they are not unhonored in "the land of the hereafter."

That is very nice and true for many parts of our nation. But I would rather sum it up in one word : Progress.

That falls right in line with a audio book I’m listening to now about the journey and exploration of Lewis and Clark.

Back
Top Bottom