Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Old 06-20-2018, 05:53 PM
Elite Member

Default Union & Clasped Hands Flask found at Resale Store

A couple of weeks ago I stopped in at a local resale store and saw this "Union & Clasped Hands" 1870s flask. It is classified as GIX-XII in the bottle books. Many variations and makers. Not rare but a nice old historical flask.

Here's the thing: They must have thought it was a repro as they priced it at $3.00. I thought "man! That sure looks old to me, it has all the signs of old glass" so I bought it. I bounced it off some others on a bottle forum to get their opinions and they concur. So it shows you never know when you'll run across a treasure, usually when you least expect it.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2018, 08:07 PM
Supporter

great find!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:59 PM
Supporter

Sweet bottle! $3!!!! Congrats!

2 Compadres : 2018 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $174.33 ([COLOR="Gray"]$815:83/COLOR]), Silver coins: 1 (6), Wheats: 17 (46), Gold: 6 (24), .925 8 (57), Rings: 43 (183), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 06-21-2018, 12:54 AM
Elite Member

Thumbs up

Thats gotta be a high dollar bottle!!

Old 06-21-2018, 10:11 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
Thats gotta be a high dollar bottle!!
It would be if they didn't make so many. It was very popular back in the 1870s. But to me I like it for the historical value and the fact it survived.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:52 PM
24K Larry

That is a sweet find! Used to find old ones at a Humane Society store. Guessing when someone passed away their loved ones dropped them off and no volunteers knew anything about bottles. I like the tonic bitters and pain killer bottles.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:24 PM

Awesome score GH...i had a simular experience bout 20 years ago at a flea market. . a gentleman had a beautiful colbalt blue whiskey bottle on his table priced at $8.... i was not familiar with the particular bottle but everything looked right except it looked too clean , all other details such as mold lines,slight waves in glass looked right for an 1880s ish whisky. .. i looked at it for a few minutes, set it back down ,walked away and gave it some thought.. i went back 5 minutes later and fortunately it was still there. . i gae the man $8 and walked away with a mint condition Caspers Whiskey made by honest north caralina people bottle which i had a friend sell for me for $320.. i also bought a Morning Star bitters bottle in box of junk bottles at an antique store that was going out of business for a measly $10..

Old 07-04-2018, 08:12 PM
Supporter

Man that's an awesome find!

Old 07-13-2018, 07:48 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by bootyhound View post
Awesome score GH...i had a simular experience bout 20 years ago at a flea market. . a gentleman had a beautiful colbalt blue whiskey bottle on his table priced at $8.... i was not familiar with the particular bottle but everything looked right except it looked too clean , all other details such as mold lines,slight waves in glass looked right for an 1880s ish whisky. .. i looked at it for a few minutes, set it back down ,walked away and gave it some thought.. i went back 5 minutes later and fortunately it was still there. . i gae the man $8 and walked away with a mint condition Caspers Whiskey made by honest north caralina people bottle which i had a friend sell for me for $320.. i also bought a Morning Star bitters bottle in box of junk bottles at an antique store that was going out of business for a measly $10..
Cool! If the price is minimal and the bottle looks "right" I'd take a chance every time.

Sounds like you picked up some nice glass there.