Lock base, IHP, buff, and more nickels!

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
I went back to the demo site a couple of days ago where I found the Studebaker plate, and found a nice Peerless lock base near the surface. It looks like the lock ring was busted off years ago, but I only made one pass since it was still quite muddy there.

IMG_1052.jpg

Then I ventured over to V nickel park, and found the oldest coin I have found so far there: an 1894 IHP. It initially gave out an odd signal of high to low tone, and after I plucked it out, I re-scanned the hole and plug, and found the 1980 graduation class tassel ornament that was about 4" almost directly above it. I also dug the 1929 buff, and 1940D, 1948D, and 1952 Jeffersons.

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1058.jpg

At first I though the date on the buff was rubbed clean, but after a tooth brush and elbow grease I was able to clean it up enough to see a date. The coins here are rusty from a heavy iron content in the soil, so Im wondering what I could use clean that off better. The IHP was also rust covered, but it cleaned up well to show some nice patina.

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Nice finds. Ive found all but a few years of the IHP but 1894 somehow eludes me

Thanks Toasted. Youre in the right place for a IHP collection. The oldest IHP I have found out here was a very toasty 1887

Nice hunt Tommy, I get a kick out of digging old locks. Congrats on the Ihp and Buff. That's a pair of indians that can't be beat. HH Mark

Another very nice outing Tommy. Congrats on tour newest oldest coin withe the IHP. and the Buffalo along with those older Jefferson's.The Indian looks to be in very good shape with a very nice patina. Trapper

Very nice Tommy Jay! Old nickels and of course Injuns are a welcome find anytime!

Thank you

Nice hunt Tommy, I get a kick out of digging old locks. Congrats on the Ihp and Buff. That's a pair of indians that can't be beat. HH Mark

Thanks, Mark

Another very nice outing Tommy. Congrats on tour newest oldest coin withe the IHP. and the Buffalo along with those older Jefferson's.The Indian looks to be in very good shape with a very nice patina. Trapper

Thanks Trapper

Congrats on the cool finds! Now go find the safe full of coins that lock was on.:yes:

Thank you. Im still trying to research that lock. I found close examples, but this lock is larger than what I have found online so far. Its 2" tall X 2.5" wide. Sanborn maps indicate that there was a wooden structure there in the 1890s that was built onto in later maps. Havent found any coins there yet. Perhaps the lock was broken, and the contents of the cash box removed? :?:

Back
Top Bottom