Good Karma!

MKW

Today, I was at the beach doing my normal fruitless sweeps when this lady asks, "How much do those machines cost?" I told her that prices vary widely, but a decent detector can be had for around $300. Then she proceeds to tell me that she's going to buy them for Christmas presents for her grown children. Then, she tells me that her son-in-law lost a $5k necklace yesterday right down there(she points). I told her that I'd be glad to look for it. She then told me that it would be a waste of time because they called a detectorist to look for it yesterday and he couldn't find it. I told her I'd be happy to look anyway.
Anyway, in about 15 minutes, I had found it. I thought the guy was going to cry. He tried to give me $100 dollar bill, which I refused.
That necklace was, by far, the most expensive thing that I have found at the beach and I was super happy to be able to find it for them.
Interestingly, the big'ol white gold necklace only produced VDIs of 2-3 on my Vanquish 540.

Attachments

• IMG_1113 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1113 (Medium).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_1114 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1114 (Medium).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 586
Another "md'r saves the day " story. You can't put a price on human relations like that. ! And you get double attaboy points for out-hunting the guy before you ! :cool3:

Great story. I see why the other guy missed it. I would have too if it only rang up as a 2 or 3 on my machine. Maybe that is why I don't bring home the gold.

:dingding: Nice job! I'll dig every signal when I'm trying to recover a lost item for someone. I think the 1st recovery I ever did years ago I was looking for a car key. I was at the beach at sunrise when I guy comes over to me and takes me to where he had believed his ONLY Honda car key had fallen out. I looked over and over in the sandy area the guy had "tossed and tumbled" ;) all night with a girlfriend and nothing. It then dawned on me that I was discriminating iron and the key was probably made of steel. :roll: I put it on all metal and a couple of minutes later BINGO!

It amazes me people spend money on a garbage alloy like "white" gold. In my opinion it is a scam. I wont buy anything less than 18k yellow gold which is like only 75% gold. A full one quarter of 18k yellow gold is trash metal and is as low as I go.
But I digress...please excuse my outburst. The real focus here is an awesome save by a super professional. Way to go MKW!

Great job MKW, fantastic recovery, you've made us all proud buddy, also I like that Sturgis t-shirt!!

Another "md'r saves the day " story. You can't put a price on human relations like that. ! And you get double attaboy points for out-hunting the guy before you ! :cool3:

Oh yeah Tom ? Well I can put a price on it. And it's not attaboy points either. It's CASH !

I will make some attempts for people if I'm out there hunting. Used to not except anything when I found the item. Not anymore. If someone offers , I graciously accept. That's my karma being paid back on the spot. Nice return MKW.

Nice work and... What Tom said.

I've never excepted a reward for helping someone but I've not been offered a hundred dollar bill before. I'm not sure what I'd do.

MKW,

The reason for the low VDI reading is that the detector only recognizes the individual parts of the necklace/pendant. Essentially, it's recognizing the largest part of the necklace (in this case, the pendant), which isn't that big.

It's one of the reasons that chains are so hard to find. A necklace with small links is essentially a whole bunch of individual tiny pieces of gold. Your detector recognizes the small parts and kicks out a VDI accordingly.

It seems like it "should" see it as a whole, but it doesn't (which is a good thing, that your machine has target separation capabilities!)

Regardless, EXCELLENT recovery! WTG!

Skippy

Oh yeah Tom ? Well I can put a price on it. And it's not attaboy points either. It's CASH !

I will make some attempts for people if I'm out there hunting. Used to not except anything when I found the item. Not anymore. If someone offers , I graciously accept. That's my karma being paid back on the spot. Nice return MKW.

Nice work and... What Tom said.

I've never excepted a reward for helping someone but I've not been offered a hundred dollar bill before. I'm not sure what I'd do.

Hey guys, when I had said "You can't put a price on human relations", I did not mean to say that it's wrong to accept a reward. Or that MKW was correct to have not accepted the reward. (it wasn't right NOR wrong) If that's the way it came across, then my-bad.

I was only amping up the so-called "karma" side of things. Ie.: The joy we get when knowing we've helped a total stranger. Ie.: Spiritual things, etc.... But that's NOT to say we're not supposed to 1) accept tips, or 2) charge for our services (if negotiated as such).

I too set rates for my "ring finder" website call out services. Or if a "reward" is offered on a CL ad, then I do not hesitate to accept that if I'm successful in the hunt . Because our time is valuable. Our gear wasn't free. And we've spent years learning our trade (which is why a newbie who rents a machine rarely ever succeeds in finding their stuff) .

And actually, sometimes you even INSULT the person by NOT accepting their tip and/or payment. In any case, I'm sorry if I gave the impression that tips or payment is wrong. Karma and tips/pay can go hand-in-hand. Yes we all love to hunt, yes we all love to see a fellow-man satisfied and helped, and yes we all love that Benjamin in our pocket ;)

MKW,

The reason for the low VDI reading is that the detector only recognizes the individual parts of the necklace/pendant. Essentially, it's recognizing the largest part of the necklace (in this case, the pendant), which isn't that big.

It's one of the reasons that chains are so hard to find. A necklace with small links is essentially a whole bunch of individual tiny pieces of gold. Your detector recognizes the small parts and kicks out a VDI accordingly.

It seems like it "should" see it as a whole, but it doesn't (which is a good thing, that your machine has target separation capabilities!)

^ ^ this ^ ^ So to go behind your competition and bag-the-prey, is all the more fulfilling :)

Hey guys, when I had said "You can't put a price on human relations", I did not mean to say that it's wrong to accept a reward. Or that MKW was correct to have not accepted the reward. (it wasn't right NOR wrong) If that's the way it came across, then my-bad.

I was only amping up the so-called "karma" side of things. Ie.: The joy we get when knowing we've helped a total stranger. Ie.: Spiritual things, etc.... But that's NOT to say we're not supposed to 1) accept tips, or 2) charge for our services (if negotiated as such).

I too set rates for my "ring finder" website call out services. Or if a "reward" is offered on a CL ad, then I do not hesitate to accept that if I'm successful in the hunt . Because our time is valuable. Our gear wasn't free. And we've spent years learning our trade (which is why a newbie who rents a machine rarely ever succeeds in finding their stuff) .

And actually, sometimes you even INSULT the person by NOT accepting their tip and/or payment. In any case, I'm sorry if I gave the impression that tips or payment is wrong. Karma and tips/pay can go hand-in-hand. Yes we all love to hunt, yes we all love to see a fellow-man satisfied and helped, and yes we all love that Benjamin in our pocket ;)

People need to be rewarded at least out here Tom. How else can they afford 30% ?

Back
Top Bottom