It's time for a new machine...

Mark,

Sounds more like sour grapes that Nokta made a detector that has the same performance as the Nox, much better build quality, and a significantly lower purchase price / accessory prices.

Well, anyway, your post is full of logical fallacies, yet you couldn't even answer Oldkoot's simple question. Facts were presented, but none by you. You chose to bash and insult. That makes YOU the fanboy.

you are correct he offered none and then calls me a fanboy, I am a fan of what ever detector works for my detecting and that just happens to be the Legend rite now, I am glad he has had great success with the Nox not all of us live in areas we can have that kind of success finding silvers, that is my problem the area I am in has very few if any silvers, how ever I do live in an area that has gold nuggets which I have found, I don't need to post those up to inflate my over sized head and ego, I do not have to post anything up that I found, it is no ones business what others or myself find, again I do not need to inflate my ego like some do, he is the one that made a statement that the Nox 800 offers more my point it does not and he can not stand it.

Tried the Nox 800 and didn't take to it, when reports started coming in that it leaks like a sieve I cut my losses and sold it [am in the water quite a bit, use the AT Pro but needed a backup]
Tried the Simplex and liked it, was no doubt finding coins deeper than before. Got the Legend and liked it as well and found my deepest coin ever [nickel at 1ft], am impressed. Some can go deeper ? Have at it, 1ft is as deep as I want to go for a coin. Easy to use right out of the box but alot of room for tweaking, which I generally don't even get into. With the continuous updates its tough to keep track of how to even access certain options, might require long presses/double presses ect to access hidden menus, I'm not going to get boggled into that unless its a feature that really interests me. XP is probably the most complex of all for tweaking, followed by the Nox. So if you are a tweaker [??], might be a factor but there are good books and vids available for all who have the time and patience.

Apex seemed to have fallen flat but gets good reviews from those who use them, wouldn't rule it out in my arsenal some day, still swing an Ace 400 with great success.

Well, anyway, your post is full of logical fallacies, yet you couldn't even answer Oldkoot's simple question. Facts were presented, but none by you. You chose to bash and insult.

Oh please, must we have another one of these threads? Is this sort of comment helpful to the OP?

In a sense, yes, because the OP knows he's gonna get biased answers and fanboy flag waving.

One thing you can do is look at the finds people are posting, and the machine they are using. If you see one machine consistently posting more and better finds of the sort of targets _you_ wish to find, then that is a checkmark for that machine. Of course, its not that simple, as perhaps more people use machine X than Y, just because it has been around longer. But it is something _you_ can observe while ignoring this sort of negative fanboy chatter. (It is one thing I did when choosing between the E-Trac and V3 back in the day; I watched posters I felt were honest and credible, and just tracked their finds on silver coins, which is the primary target _I_ am interested in).

I've been reading this forum a long time. There are simply posters, in this thread, in the recent past, and the distant past, who I still have no clue what they actually find with their machines. I think that's important. They seem so smart about this and that, but this is actually a humbling hobby. Show me the actual finds. Me, a summary of every find I care about with my E-Trac is in my sig, even if I rarely post this rosie or that.

Another thing you can do, if you can swing it financially and hassle-wise, is buy one machine, see if you like it, and then you are done. If you don't like it, buy the next machine on your list and compare. Then you sell the machine you don't like. You lose $100 or so and some shipping hassles on the losing machine. I also did this with the V3 and E-Trac, but was lucky enough to be able to own both machines at once and compare them side to side, knowing that I was over-budget temporarily, but I would sell the loser and be back under budget at the end of the day.

If you get 17 years out of the winning machine, as you did with your White's, the hassles of this approach will be forgotten in the long term. I've gotten 12 years or so out of my E-Trac, and never looked back on the small loss I took on the V3.

The beauty of this approach, tho a bit more financially awkward, is it allows you to find the machine _you_ are most happy with, while avoiding the fanboy fights that distort objectivity.

At the end of the day, while a good machine is very important, getting on good sites is probably more important. If you have limited time, spend in on research and permissions, not fanboy debates. If made in America is important to you, there are posters on this forum that find mountains of silvers with Garrett machines (I don't know Garrett, so I can't name the model they use).

I won't comment much on machines I have not used, but I will say this on ones I have. I find the Nox has poor build quality. If I buy a machine, I do not want to buy aftermarket parts on top of it, but if that doesn't bother you, then fine. I also find the Nox has worse target ID and more iron falsing vs the E-Trac on deep potential silver targets. JMHO in my dirt, and I am a one trick pony trying to find silvers efficiently.

I find the Deus II (which even used, may still be out of your budget) better at iron falsing than the Nox. But I find the TID range on high conductors too limited compared to other machines. I also find the charging of the Deus II more of a hassle (specifically the limited life of the coil charge) than I would prefer.

If you are looking for silver coins primarily, a used E-Trac is well in your budget. The negatives are weight and ergonomics, and it cannot really be used in the rain or wet sand.

HTH and trying to be objective. Good luck.

Oh please, must we have another one of these threads? Is this sort of comment helpful to the OP?

In a sense, yes, because the OP knows he's gonna get biased answers and fanboy flag waving.

One thing you can do is look at the finds people are posting, and the machine they are using. If you see one machine consistently posting more and better finds of the sort of targets _you_ wish to find, then that is a checkmark for that machine. Of course, its not that simple, as perhaps more people use machine X than Y, just because it has been around longer. But it is something _you_ can observe while ignoring this sort of negative fanboy chatter. (It is one thing I did when choosing between the E-Trac and V3 back in the day; I watched posters I felt were honest and credible, and just tracked their finds on silver coins, which is the primary target _I_ am interested in).

I've been reading this forum a long time. There are simply posters, in this thread, in the recent past, and the distant past, who I still have no clue what they actually find with their machines. I think that's important. They seem so smart about this and that, but this is actually a humbling hobby. Show me the actual finds. Me, a summary of every find I care about with my E-Trac is in my sig, even if I rarely post this rosie or that.

HTH and trying to be objective. Good luck.

"Objective". Yes, we need objectivity, but oh so often, the recommendations are sorely lacking in objectivity. For example, on one hand we have "I recommend this detector because I find stuff with it (while bashing the competition). Heck, even low cost detectors will find good stuff. Now, on the other hand, we have, "This detector is a better choice due to these facts". The former recommendation is based in anecdote and emotion, and the latter recommendation is based in reason and objectivity. One is meaningless, the other is important.

Many members here (including myself), don't generally post pictures of their finds, for various reasons. But, by your own words, it seems that you're suggesting that is somehow a "negative" toward them???

I don't know why it's important to you that others post pictures of their finds. I think most of the "my finds" threads are kind of boring, because it's like seeing the same thing over and over. The one exception for me, is the cool and unique relic find threads. I really enjoy those, because they are unique finds.

Another reason I can't be bothered to post my finds, is I kind of feel like I'm bragging, and fishing for compliments by doing so. Some see it differently, but I don't. So for those reasons, and a couple of others, I generally don't see a need, nor have any desire to post pictures of my finds.

Last edited:
@ Digalicious... "Another reason I can't be bothered to post my finds, is I kind of feel like I'm bragging, and fishing for compliments by doing so. Some see it differently, but I don't. So for those reasons, and a couple of others, I generally don't see a need, nor have any desire to post pictures of my finds."

You are correct with one addition... I post my better hunts and memorable trips as encouragement to others on the Forum that there are still plenty of great finds just waiting to be made. While I chase silver coins as my primary goal, I do get inspired by posts showing Spanish silver, old KG coins from England, Civil War relics, merchant Trade Tokens etc etc. Makes me want to try and find those items, thanks to the posts on the Friendly Forum.

@ Digalicious... "Another reason I can't be bothered to post my finds, is I kind of feel like I'm bragging, and fishing for compliments by doing so. Some see it differently, but I don't. So for those reasons, and a couple of others, I generally don't see a need, nor have any desire to post pictures of my finds."

You are correct with one addition... I post my better hunts and memorable trips as encouragement to others on the Forum that there are still plenty of great finds just waiting to be made. While I chase silver coins as my primary goal, I do get inspired by posts showing Spanish silver, old KG coins from England, Civil War relics, merchant Trade Tokens etc etc. Makes me want to try and find those items, thanks to the posts on the Friendly Forum.

I started out as a hunter looking for silver coins but now graduated to more of a colonial coin and relic hunter. I get more satisfaction out of finding history. The occasional silver and gold is just an added bonus.

Steve

I started out as a hunter looking for silver coins but now graduated to more of a colonial coin and relic hunter. I get more satisfaction out of finding history. The occasional silver and gold is just an added bonus.

Steve

It's the same for me as well.

Silver and gold is just too hard to find now...well, at least in the quantities that you used to be able to find them. I have so many silvers that even finding them now, is kind of "meh". The finds I cherish most, and what I'm after now, is the unique relics from history.

It's older tech, but don't forget Fisher is an American company!! My F75 LTD is very well balanced and so much more comfortable to swing longer than my Equinox (but of course it doesn't do well in the thick iron patches....)...but it gets noticeably deeper than the Equinox and smaller coils help get into the trashier areas.
https://www.seriousdetecting.com/pr...etal-detector-11-5-dd-waterproof-search-coil/
(Dang, I got mine for like 500 bucks about 5 years ago on sale...!)

I often use this mid-sized coil:
https://www.colonialmetaldetectors.com/nel-sharpshooter-coil-fisher-f75.html

Edit: Wait....detector comparisons are no fun without fights... so... "I can assure you that Fisher is in every way a superior American brand to the clunky and front-heavy Garrett AT series!" :lol:

Hello, I ive been detecting since 2005 when I started with a Whites Prism V. That's what Ive been using for the last 17 years. I ordered a minelab pinpointer 35 to help my digs. My gosh technology has improved in 17 years! I honestly haven't looked at detectors for that long. In fact my last login to this forum was 8/4/2006. My old Prism V still works great, but I feel like i'm soon due for an upgrade. I've read through the forum quite a bit. I've basically come to the conclusion that people like what they like. I just need to pick a unit and get to know it well. Top of my list is a Nokta Legend. That seems to be a popular unit amongst the people in here. Is there any manufacturer that still makes things in America? Any other recommendations on a $1000 or less unit? My main search grounds are old homes, public areas like parks and event locations, and freshwater beaches. Also, where is a reputable source to buy a new one that preferably gives 1st responder/Military discounts. Thanks.

Hi Ghostcat,

I think your initial choice of the Nokta Legend is a solid one.

So are the suggestions for the Minelab Equinox 600 and 800.

As for your question about military discounts, Minelab and Garrett allow dealers to offer 15% US military discounts on some of their detectors. I don't know about first responder discounts.

I own the Legend and the Equinox. Personally, from my experience in the soil conditions I hunt in, the Legend is a better choice than the Equinox 600 and is as good a choice as the Equinox 800. If you had asked for my opinion before the Legend was released I would have said that I highly doubt that Nokta will be able to make a detector as good as the Equinox 800 on their first try at simultaneous multi frequency. I was flat out wrong!

When I first got the Equinox, it changed my whole outlook and attitude about detecting in a very positive way. It has continued to do that too. However, if the Legend had been released before the Equinox, it would have done the same for me. These detectors are very similar in performance but the Legend has better build quality and simply has more features than the Equinox 800 and way more features than the Equinox 600.

There are people on this forum that get very territorial about Minelab, Nokta, XP, First Texas, Garrett, Whites and Tesoro among other and we even have arguments with manufacturers models. That is too bad.

So, I don't know how much hunting you do or what mineralization is like where you hunt. I have no doubt that the Legend or Equinox can handle most of your needs however. To a lesser degree so could a Garrett Apex if you want to stick to a USA manufacturer. Even though the Apex does not have the upper intermediate to expert level detecting capabilities of the Legend and Equinox, it is a very good detector and would be an upgrade from your Prism V in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom