headphones for AT Pro

olddude

I've been using this AT Pro machine for several years now and never had the problems that some users have had. Several hunts ago I noticed that the headphone volume was very low. It didn't seem to bother the ability of the machine to find objects I just had to have both of the phones on my ears rather that just using one like I do most of the time.

I checked it out when I got home and found out that the headphones had gone bad, probably a wire had finally pulled loose. I can't complain because they have been put through hell. I don't know how many times I have looked back while riding on the 4-wheeler and found that a branch had gotten a hold of them and popped them off the bracket holding the machine and found them dragging behind the bike for who knows how long.

I had a brand new pair of those water proof ones that I bought but never used so I decided to put them on rather than buy a new pair. What I am wondering is are those under water ones different than the ones you use on dry land? I am hearing things that I never heard before with these phones. The machine is making all sorts of new sounds and in some cases it is hard to pin point a target or even get a idea of what the target may be and I am finding myself digging a lot of junk targets. It's like I'm going through the learning curve all over again.

Before I go out and buy another pair of phones I thought I might ask if the under water ones are basically the same or if they may be made a little differently because they are for use under water. Also if you were going to buy a new set of phones which ones would you buy?

Buy the Gray Ghost Amphibians for the ATP. Submersible with volume control. You will not go back. :-)

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

Buy the Gray Ghost Amphibians for the ATP. Submersible with volume control. You will not go back. :-)

I agree with this statement. I love mine, but be aware, the pitch of the tones is completely different than the stock headphones. Not a bad thing, just takes a little getting used to.

I agree with this statement. I love mine, but be aware, the pitch of the tones is completely different than the stock headphones. Not a bad thing, just takes a little getting used to.

That's what I found out about the new underwater ones I have on it now. The sounds are totally different and I have to learn the the machine all over. I was thinking about buying a set of grey ghost a while back. Are the ones you are talking about good for under water use?

That's what I found out about the new underwater ones I have on it now. The sounds are totally different and I have to learn the the machine all over. I was thinking about buying a set of grey ghost a while back. Are the ones you are talking about good for under water use?

I have Grey Ghost. I don't go under water even though they can be used for it. I have dropped them in the water and dunked to rinse them and never had a problem. If I ever lost them, I would buy another pair immediately. I didn't mind the stock headphones, but the build quality on the GGs is far better. I often lost the ear pads on the factory ones, and I felt like they were fragile.

As for learning the new tones, it was only a few minutes to half an hour tops to be perfectly confident with the tones. With only 3 tones, you really only need to recognize high, medium and low and those 3 tones have obvious separation with the grey ghosts. Absolutely no chance for confusing a low for a mid or a mid for a high tone. The audio is very crisp and the proportional audio volume is very discernible and accurate. I always run in Pro Zero and no discrimination. So I have a lot of info coming through the headphones. If you are interested in waterproof headphones, I believe the Grey Ghost are an excellent choice.

Well said. One more thing to note with the GG, one can remove them easily one handed with out worrying about breaking them for more serious target removal. Built like a tank and sound great. At the end of the day if anything is dirty I just take the hose to the whole thing. No worries which is worth it in my boat. I broke my other pair of waterproof headphones taking them off one time. The other benefit is wearing them around your neck and cranking the volume up, for better situational awareness if needed.

I've been using this AT Pro machine for several years now and never had the problems that some users have had. Several hunts ago I noticed that the headphone volume was very low. It didn't seem to bother the ability of the machine to find objects I just had to have both of the phones on my ears rather that just using one like I do most of the time.

I checked it out when I got home and found out that the headphones had gone bad, probably a wire had finally pulled loose. I can't complain because they have been put through hell. I don't know how many times I have looked back while riding on the 4-wheeler and found that a branch had gotten a hold of them and popped them off the bracket holding the machine and found them dragging behind the bike for who knows how long.

I had a brand new pair of those water proof ones that I bought but never used so I decided to put them on rather than buy a new pair. What I am wondering is are those under water ones different than the ones you use on dry land? I am hearing things that I never heard before with these phones. The machine is making all sorts of new sounds and in some cases it is hard to pin point a target or even get a idea of what the target may be and I am finding myself digging a lot of junk targets. It's like I'm going through the learning curve all over again.

Before I go out and buy another pair of phones I thought I might ask if the under water ones are basically the same or if they may be made a little differently because they are for use under water. Also if you were going to buy a new set of phones which ones would you buy?
After my original headphones broke similar to how yours did, i bought the Garrett Clearsound Easy Stow Headphones and couldn't be more happy with them. They have a volume control and they have the same "sounds" as the original set. I feel they even sound better! You will need the Garrett ATPro Headphone adaptor plug to the 1/4 plug. This set up is very cheap at about $50. I did not want to invest in an expensive set of headphone since i will be upgrading the detector soon and most new detectors come with their designated wireless headphone sets.

I use the Grey Ghost headset for water hunting. They don't have the same volume as the Garrett stock water headset or the Master Sound ones. And they do ive off a different tone too. It's not a problem, just something to be aware of.

I need to get a set of waterproof headphones for my AT Pro myself...I'm thinking the GG, but they're almost twice the price of the Garretts (but they have volume control and are better built)....fortunately I'm halfway there with my clad finds for the year :)

They are not waterproof but I recently purchased a pair of the wireless ZLink Garrett headphones and it has made my hunting FAR more enjoyable not being tethered to my ATPro

Glad I found this post. I was sure there was something wrong with my new waterproof headphones. I just got them and tried them in the yard I was uh these sound funny. Not a big deal but will take some getting used to.

Back
Top Bottom