Bucket Lister Found! THE WRONG WAY!

Chipk

Elite Member
Yes I collect coins but only those I find while metal detecting or while searching coin rolls. But I’m always interested in checking out other’s coins.

Well a good friend came over Saturday and dropped off a good sized, heavy box. On a couple of occasions he has mentioned his coin collection and that it is mainly “old silver”. I offered to review them for him but he’s never responded.

Well he is going off on a 6 month motorcycle vacation soon and became worried about somebody stealing his collection. Since he lives in an RV deep in the woods , his concerns are valid. Anyway he asked me to keep them safe and gave me permission to rummage through them.

Well what a surprise. He has a number of mint sets, penny books, rolls of coins and a bunch of loose coins. He has a couple of 1880 Morgans, some Barbers, a triple handful of Walkers and Franklins, a handful of V nickels, buffaloes and uncounted War Nickels, Merc, Rosies,SLQs, and a big bunch of wheats along with a couple of Indian Head pennies. It’s quite a smorgasbord of coinage.

Now they are all well circulated and far from mint condition. I found one no FG Kennedy half dollar but beyond that nothing of note.

And then I saw it.

I had scooped up a handful of pennies and was passing them under my magnifier. This machine can magnify 18x and gives you a great look at the coins. But when I slid THIS COIN under it and looked on the screen I didn’t see Lincoln nor an Indian Head.

I saw a flying bird. A Flying Eagle cent.

If you’re not familiar with this coin it’s likely because it was only minted 1856-1858and is the first American small cent.

It is high on my bucket list and I have decided I am unlikely to ever find one unless I plop down some cash at a coin store. In fact this 1858 is the very first one I’ve ever actually seen.

I confess I had a brief thought of spiriting it away and denying I’d ever seen it. He may not even know he has it. But I try to be honest and so I took some pictures of it and slipped it into a small plastic ziplock bag for him.

Besides since my collection is made of those coins I personally have found, I would have no real joy in owning it.

Rats. Lol.

Attachments

• A254E248-5D49-4E40-B7AA-3F81B65F0889.jpeg
    A254E248-5D49-4E40-B7AA-3F81B65F0889.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 0AA9D7DE-4B9E-4077-8445-148F62EB2C61.jpeg
    0AA9D7DE-4B9E-4077-8445-148F62EB2C61.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 302
I'd love to find one with a detector, and hope to someday. I would never buy one just to have. The only coins that really interest me are the ones I find while detecting. It's all about thrill of the hunt for me.

I'd love to find one with a detector, and hope to someday. I would never buy one just to have. The only coins that really interest me are the ones I find while detecting. It's all about thrill of the hunt for me.

+1 I don't really ever consider buying coins either, I'd rather have them from having dug them myself. The other non-purchase ways I'd get a coin I might keep is from Coinstar or if I happened to get it as part of my change from a store. I thought about trying coin-roll hunting but haven't yet, that would not be buying coins since you are simply exchanging paper money for an equivalent amount of coins.

That flying eagle one cent is a neat looking coin though, doesn't seem to be made out of copper though unless that is simply how the photo looks from how the light is reflecting off of it.

I had the exact same experience a year ago. I found one in a big box of coins. Luckily, I was allowed to keep it.

maybe offer him some cash for it when he returns from his trip......
then at least if he sells it you have one in your collection...?

Back
Top Bottom