Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-20-2022, 12:35 AM
GroundSweeper's Avatar
GroundSweeper GroundSweeper is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Placer Co., CA
Posts: 20,191
Default I guess I'm getting old...

I lost my Lesche.

Left it at the river (I think). I remember digging up some coins in one area of soft dirt, and then a few days later, went to go hunting and no digger in the pouch. Looked in all the cars, at home etc. Bummer. I lost a pinpointer a year or so ago and the new one is tethered it to my finds pouch. Can't see tethering a Lesche to the pouch.

Thankfully I had a new one as a spare, so I'm good there, but when I check amazon for a new Lesche they've gone up to $50 LGB??

I think I'm going to look for an alternative digger - maybe the Predator 85, though shipping is killer from them ($17).

Bugger. It was a couple years old and worn down but dang, I feel like a fool leaving it behind. I did go back to the river and looked but no go. Sucks.

__________________
EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2022 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $65.63 ($1188.91), Silver coins: 8 (58), Wheats: 24 (187), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 6 (104), Rings: 17 (263), 1922 Peace Dollar, 1919 wheat, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; 2 cash coins

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 09-20-2022, 08:45 AM
stetam's Avatar
stetam stetam is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Jonestown, PA
Posts: 1,913
Default

I did the same thing this year so picked up a $15 Prospectors Choice digger and got a Nokta one with my legend.

Steve

__________________
Equinox 600, Nokta Makro Legend, Garrett Pro-pointer AT
2022 - Silver coins 19, Reale's 3, KG's 7, Large Cents 4, gold rings 2, silver rings 3

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 09-20-2022, 09:20 AM
cellrdwellr's Avatar
cellrdwellr cellrdwellr is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dirt Cellar, MA
Posts: 18,054
Default

I would recommend the whites digmaster if you can find one. Super strong! If you have a hard time finding a new hand digger, let me know. I have a few kicking around that I'd be happy to send you pretty cheap. I don't really use the hand diggers, I prefer long handles, where I hunt woods 95% of the time. Also, congrats on surpassing 20k posts man!

__________________
☆🐻2022 LET'S GO BRUINS!🐻☆
☆W-142~IH-22~Coppas-18~Tokens-3☆
☆Silva-27~Ster-12~Gold-5
☆Oldest Coin FTY:1731 KG2☆

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 09-20-2022, 10:45 AM
markinswpa's Avatar
markinswpa markinswpa is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 5,804
Default

Whaat ? Didn't I read a post about you losing you pinpointer a while back. Just kidding GS. That sucks. It happens to us all. I have lost both my pinpointer and Lesche but fortunately I was able to find them. I did notice my Lesche has worn down quite a bit and probably could use replaced. I replaced my shovel earlier this year. It wasn't cheap but good things seldom are. I hate junk so I guess I'll pay the increase. IMO the only thing tougher than a Lesche is a Digmaster but you can't find them. Good luck. Mark p.s. Congrats on 20,000 +

__________________
Equinox 800
2022 -Silver 57-IHPs 16 -Wheaties 171 -Tokens 23
-Buffs 23 - Vs 7- Sterling 3 - Gold 1 - Clad-73.38
Hunts-79

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 09-20-2022, 11:46 AM
atomicbrh atomicbrh is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Central MS
Posts: 641
Default

One good thing about going back and detecting for it is that it is a big target and will give a killer signal. There is a for sure 50 dollar find out there and if there was a for sure 50 dollar silver or gold target out there, most people would detect like crazy to find it. You have an identical Lesche to determine the exact signal they put off and you can notch out the other stuff. Hopefully it will be quick work for you.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 09-22-2022, 12:15 AM
GroundSweeper's Avatar
GroundSweeper GroundSweeper is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Placer Co., CA
Posts: 20,191
Default

Originally Posted by stetam View post
I did the same thing this year so picked up a $15 Prospectors Choice digger and got a Nokta one with my legend.

Steve
Nice, the Nokta one looks pretty nice. I'm just mad at myself for the carelessness! But it happens I suppose.

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
I would recommend the whites digmaster if you can find one. Super strong! If you have a hard time finding a new hand digger, let me know. I have a few kicking around that I'd be happy to send you pretty cheap. I don't really use the hand diggers, I prefer long handles, where I hunt woods 95% of the time. Also, congrats on surpassing 20k posts man!
Thanks for the offer Jeff. I had a spare brand new Lesche (warranty replacement for my first ever Lesche that eventually cracked). So I'm good for now, but I like to have a spare for instances like this

Originally Posted by markinswpa View post
Whaat ? Didn't I read a post about you losing you pinpointer a while back. Just kidding GS. That sucks. It happens to us all. I have lost both my pinpointer and Lesche but fortunately I was able to find them. I did notice my Lesche has worn down quite a bit and probably could use replaced. I replaced my shovel earlier this year. It wasn't cheap but good things seldom are. I hate junk so I guess I'll pay the increase. IMO the only thing tougher than a Lesche is a Digmaster but you can't find them. Good luck. Mark p.s. Congrats on 20,000 +
Yes! I did lose my carrot at the beach a year or so ago SOB! That was promptly replaced and tethered to the finds pouch.

Originally Posted by atomicbrh View post
One good thing about going back and detecting for it is that it is a big target and will give a killer signal. There is a for sure 50 dollar find out there and if there was a for sure 50 dollar silver or gold target out there, most people would detect like crazy to find it. You have an identical Lesche to determine the exact signal they put off and you can notch out the other stuff. Hopefully it will be quick work for you.
I'm pretty sure it had to have fallen out of my finds pouch or I left it on the surface, and it got picked up in the few days before I could get back there to look when I realized what happened. I may go back again some day but don't expect it to turn up, but who knows!

__________________
EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2022 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $65.63 ($1188.91), Silver coins: 8 (58), Wheats: 24 (187), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 6 (104), Rings: 17 (263), 1922 Peace Dollar, 1919 wheat, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; 2 cash coins

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 09-22-2022, 12:50 AM
JimR_TN's Avatar
JimR_TN JimR_TN is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 853
Default

I had to walk back in the dark earlier this month looking for my Lesche. Luckily I noticed when putting my gear in my truck and I remembered exactly where my last dig was. Still took 20 minutes in the dark in tall grass when I was worn out from the day's heat.

__________________
Minelab Equinox 600 - Oldest coin: 1838 Seated Liberty half dime
Fisher F75 SE
Fisher F-Pulse

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 09-22-2022, 11:38 AM
GroundSweeper's Avatar
GroundSweeper GroundSweeper is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Placer Co., CA
Posts: 20,191
Default

Originally Posted by JimR_TN View post
I had to walk back in the dark earlier this month looking for my Lesche. Luckily I noticed when putting my gear in my truck and I remembered exactly where my last dig was. Still took 20 minutes in the dark in tall grass when I was worn out from the day's heat.
Yeah, I'm peeved at myself for not paying attention when I put my gear away, I'm usually pretty observant. Had I noticed at the car, I would have been able to backtrack and find it for sure. I feel a little in disbelief that I hadn't noticed and that the Lesche will show up somewhere in the car or house, but I think that's not going to happen. Just weird.

__________________
EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2022 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $65.63 ($1188.91), Silver coins: 8 (58), Wheats: 24 (187), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 6 (104), Rings: 17 (263), 1922 Peace Dollar, 1919 wheat, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; 2 cash coins

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 09-22-2022, 02:31 PM
Xxray Xxray is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: MI USA
Posts: 140
Default

Don't feel bad, years ago I left my detector [Ace 250] and didn't realize it till the next day, it was gone and I ordered another.
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 09-25-2022, 12:53 PM
jimther's Avatar
jimther jimther is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Eastern Massachusetts
Posts: 2,352
Default

Maybe you did this, but if not, consider engraving something like “IF FOUND, please call 508-765-xxxx” into the Metal of your tools. It could raise the odds of getting it back to 50/50, versus the alternative of 0/0.

__________________
USAF Veteran 1969-73

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Whites Spectrum XLT E-Series, Spectrum XLT (Rainbow), Garrett Propointer II, Killer Bee Headphones, Wilcox 102 digger, Root Slayer NOMAD digger

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #11  
Old 09-25-2022, 03:37 PM
GroundSweeper's Avatar
GroundSweeper GroundSweeper is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Placer Co., CA
Posts: 20,191
Default

Originally Posted by Xxray View post
Don't feel bad, years ago I left my detector [Ace 250] and didn't realize it till the next day, it was gone and I ordered another.
Ouch!

Originally Posted by jimther View post
Maybe you did this, but if not, consider engraving something like “IF FOUND, please call 508-765-xxxx” into the Metal of your tools. It could raise the odds of getting it back to 50/50, versus the alternative of 0/0.
Yeah, great idea, and I actually put labels on my detector, headphones, larger Sampson diggers, even put one curled around the 9v battery of the pinpointed, but not the Lesche for whatever reason! I added a label with my phone number onto the front of the hand guard on the backup Lesche, a few days ago! Worth a shot.

I am pretty sure the pinpointed I lost at the beach had a phone number label inside it too, but I imagine it’s still at that beach buried in sand, perhaps, or whoever found it hasn’t used it or needed to replace the battery yet.

__________________
EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2022 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $65.63 ($1188.91), Silver coins: 8 (58), Wheats: 24 (187), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 6 (104), Rings: 17 (263), 1922 Peace Dollar, 1919 wheat, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; 2 cash coins

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 09-28-2022, 01:30 AM
GroundSweeper's Avatar
GroundSweeper GroundSweeper is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Placer Co., CA
Posts: 20,191
Default Great idea!

Yesterday? I had a great idea. I bought a pet ID tag off Amazon w/ my name, phone, email and a "Please return TY" line on it. Stainless steel. Will drill a small hole in the Lesche hand guard and bolt it on w/ a small stainless screw and lock nut. Brilliant

I'll post some picks/start a new thread once I get it all done. Cost me about 9 bucks probably.

__________________
EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2022 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $65.63 ($1188.91), Silver coins: 8 (58), Wheats: 24 (187), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 6 (104), Rings: 17 (263), 1922 Peace Dollar, 1919 wheat, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; 2 cash coins

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 09-28-2022, 04:26 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,719
Default

Lost my hand digger once in the dark. Luckily I recovered it, but after that I put a couple of wraps of reflective tape, works well for at night!

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Lincoln MKX (Royal Coach). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 10-03-2022, 01:54 PM
ThatGuyAgain ThatGuyAgain is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Swampscott, MA
Posts: 56
Default

If it makes you feel better, I somehow lost my finds pouch the other day. I was exploring an old ghost town and got back to the car to find it was completely gone! I have no idea how I managed that one since it was clipped around my waist... At least I had only found a bunch of junk before rushing back to beat the failing sunlight.

It's strange. Losing things doesn't make me feel old. Forgetting if I put things down doesn't make me feel old. What makes me feel old is when complete strangers in the grocery store feel the need to look me right in the face and say, "it sucks getting old, huh?".
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 10-03-2022, 01:55 PM
ThatGuyAgain ThatGuyAgain is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Swampscott, MA
Posts: 56
Default

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
Lost my hand digger once in the dark. Luckily I recovered it, but after that I put a couple of wraps of reflective tape, works well for at night!
Someone mentioned UV light rockhounding as a great parallel hobby. You can get UV reflective tape to really make them pop at night. I have a few friends who do this with their arrow shafts and fletchings so they can find them in the field if they miss the target.
Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 10-03-2022, 02:46 PM
GroundSweeper's Avatar
GroundSweeper GroundSweeper is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Placer Co., CA
Posts: 20,191
Default

Originally Posted by ThatGuyAgain View post
If it makes you feel better, I somehow lost my finds pouch the other day. I was exploring an old ghost town and got back to the car to find it was completely gone! I have no idea how I managed that one since it was clipped around my waist... At least I had only found a bunch of junk before rushing back to beat the failing sunlight.

It's strange. Losing things doesn't make me feel old. Forgetting if I put things down doesn't make me feel old. What makes me feel old is when complete strangers in the grocery store feel the need to look me right in the face and say, "it sucks getting old, huh?".
Oh man that was a good one

Bummer on the finds pouch!

I just bolted a pet ID tag onto my Lesche yesterday... for whatever that's worth. Best to just check to make sure it hasn't fallen out or I haven't left it wherever I last dug!

__________________
EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2022 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $65.63 ($1188.91), Silver coins: 8 (58), Wheats: 24 (187), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 6 (104), Rings: 17 (263), 1922 Peace Dollar, 1919 wheat, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; 2 cash coins

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 10-04-2022, 05:52 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,719
Default

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
Oh man that was a good one

Bummer on the finds pouch!

I just bolted a pet ID tag onto my Lesche yesterday... for whatever that's worth. Best to just check to make sure it hasn't fallen out or I haven't left it wherever I last dug!
Now THAT is a good idea!

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Lincoln MKX (Royal Coach). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 10-04-2022, 11:10 PM
GroundSweeper's Avatar
GroundSweeper GroundSweeper is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Placer Co., CA
Posts: 20,191
Default

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
Now THAT is a good idea!
Thanks! It can’t hurt!

I used a 1/8” masonry bit, low rpm and some oil. Cut through the heat treated Lesche steel just fine (learned my lesson after burning up 2 regular drill bits and trying a cobalt one that didn’t work either).

Stainless button head cap screw and stainless lock nut and stainless washers…
Attached Images
   

__________________
EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2022 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $65.63 ($1188.91), Silver coins: 8 (58), Wheats: 24 (187), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 6 (104), Rings: 17 (263), 1922 Peace Dollar, 1919 wheat, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; 2 cash coins


Last edited by GroundSweeper; 10-04-2022 at 11:46 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 10-05-2022, 02:40 PM
Chroma's Avatar
Chroma Chroma is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: East TN
Posts: 356
Default

Losing my digger or pinpointer is my worst nightmare! One solution might be to tether your Lesche to something on your person. I know some people have their pinpointer on a tether but I haven't seen it done with a digger. You'd probably want the rope to be on the end of the handle so that it doesn't interfere with the digging.

Or for a dumber solution: Put some kind of GPS-enabled thing on or inside of the digger. I know Apple makes AirTags but those are probably too large to be practical.

__________________
Minelab Vanquish 440

Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 10-05-2022, 08:54 PM
GroundSweeper's Avatar
GroundSweeper GroundSweeper is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Placer Co., CA
Posts: 20,191
Default

Originally Posted by Chroma View post
Losing my digger or pinpointer is my worst nightmare! One solution might be to tether your Lesche to something on your person. I know some people have their pinpointer on a tether but I haven't seen it done with a digger. You'd probably want the rope to be on the end of the handle so that it doesn't interfere with the digging.

Or for a dumber solution: Put some kind of GPS-enabled thing on or inside of the digger. I know Apple makes AirTags but those are probably too large to be practical.
Well I've now lost both! I'm living your worst nightmare thank you very much

I tethered my pinpointer and that is working out just fine. I'm not going to tether my digger - that's just too many cords. Nice not to have headphone cords on the Nox (when on land anyway) so 1 tether is plenty. The air tag or Tile tag is not a bad idea but for a $40-50 digger I'm just going to try and work on my cognitive skills to not leave it somewhere again

The pet ID tag bolt on dealio cost about $10 all said and done probably and that's alright. I put printed labels on my detector and sampson diggers, cover that in waterproof gorilla tape, who knows....cheap and maybe someone will return them if I leave them somewhere.

The pin pointer I lost at the beach, in a random area of dry sand most likely, is probably still there. I dunno. I'll never know exactly where it was at this point, and it has my phone number inside the battery compartment...same as the replacement one I'm using now.

__________________
EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2022 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $65.63 ($1188.91), Silver coins: 8 (58), Wheats: 24 (187), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 6 (104), Rings: 17 (263), 1922 Peace Dollar, 1919 wheat, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; 2 cash coins

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.