Equinox Wobble Fix to A ONE Piece CF 36inch Plugger Shaft

Surf Master

Forum Supporter
Received my Plugger 36 inch One piece Carbon Fiber Shaft today , a 105 Plus -shipping fix, Correction see post # 14. i just edited- prices do not reflect shipping costs ., my review is, i am impressed , No wobble, added 1 1/2 inches to the shaft length , better no wobble joint, was able to balance the machine perfect by lowering the head to the last adjustment point out of 3 holes , used the last hole in the cuff adjustment of three holes, the CF rod is 36 inches over the stock 34 1/2 , the head trued up tighter than the stock shaft as on the stock the nuts come a little loose after use , anyone who wants a 800 CF shaft he has them in, he is receiving more material for the 600s as it is a different size, here are some pick's, quality at an affordable fix , happy Equinox hunting Earl http://rodsbyplugger.com/

Attachments

• P1000982.JPG
    P1000982.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 431
  • P1000980.JPG
    P1000980.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 392
  • P1000981.JPG
    P1000981.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
$105 isn’t really an affordable fix for something that shouldn’t have to be fixed in the first place.

Saoirse

Correct , and incorrect , agree ML quality control the shaft should have been solid from the get go , no disagreement there , keep in mind this is a Carbon Fiber shaft, everyone pay's for Carbon fiber aftermarket, compared to a competitor, it's the best bang for the buck, also the two piece stock is eliminated- to a ONE piece CF shaft , CYA

You Guys

Are hard core, since your so smart here i have a ? beside's the CTX3030 a 2500.00 machine , how many other manufacturer's sell detector's with a Carbon Fiber Shaft :?::?::?::?: :crazy::confused::snapoutofit::twisted::takeoff::popcorn: :popcorn::popcorn2:

I priced out shafts on Alibaba and made-in-china.com. It's a $45 each shaft plus shipping which is $25-45.. Then add $22 for the end (coil mount) and $10 for adhesive. That is $102 my cost.

Buying in huge quantity helps. I can get the price down to $70 each but that shipping length is a P.I.A. and usually costs min of $25 USPS. So break even is $95 and he sells them for $105. Means he only pays himself $10 to make it. Food for thought.

I priced out shafts on Alibaba and made-in-china.com. It's a $45 each shaft plus shipping which is $25-45.. Then add $22 for the end (coil mount) and $10 for adhesive. That is $102 my cost.

Buying in huge quantity helps. I can get the price down to $70 each but that shipping length is a P.I.A. and usually costs min of $25 USPS. So break even is $95 and he sells them for $105. Means he only pays himself $10 to make it. Food for thought.

Shaft is about $10 plus shipping. Cam lock about a buck or less if you.find The right camera tripod lock. The hard part is the (coil mount) part. Buying a stock size from Minelab will run about $22 if you know the right people. If making them from scratch custom made it's in the $50 range
Total cost about $45 with upper and lower shaft. Haven't actually seen or looked at the shafts. If it's the upper and lower shaft, arm cuff, cam lock, free shipping .. $105 isn't bad. But still much much more than a 10% profit margin.
These 2 companies are making a killing making these.. and some people have the money and not the time to worry about trying to save a few bucks. Hence the market

If you sent it back to ML how long does that take? Mine doesn’t shake enough to really notice or at least bother me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But Truth1253 the stock-

Its not carbon fiber, not a one piece , shorter , along with the stock adjustment holes not in the wright places, , my Equinox 800 is now balanced, with a better non wobble cam lock , with the holes all drilled correctly , no errors , love mine,

Last edited:
Steve

It is a one piece 36 inches, with pre drilled holes, you use the stock cuff, and stock lower rod, Usps priority shipping is included, you put the cuff on, connect the stock lower rod with coil, than put the handle on, i used the last hole in the rear for the cuff, and the furthest hole forward for the head, resulted in a perfectly balanced machine, very happy wiyh my purchase, Earl

Mistake Made

He sent me the rod, but that price did not include shipping, just like his site states , he just sent it to me , as i been dealing with him for year's, so his prices on his site do not include shipping , guess he let me off the hook as a long term customer with the shipping, or i will get billed :roll: , if not thanks William, i have no clue , what the shipping cost's , i guess when you check out on the site it adds shipping , or he adds it when you email :D Earl

A 3 piece..... TRAVEL SHAFT..... isnt suited for full time hunting. Even Anderson says that with their 3 piece CF ones. Way to much movement...... then add the torque we put on them IN the water alone with salt and sand. Get a CF..... keep the ML for travel is my suggestion. Ive got an Andersons...... full shaft and the lower shaft is about 4" longer than the stock. They use real light and good CF... seems really light. Most of the time id say its almost as cheap to buy and Andersons or Plugger, but without the handle a good piece of long CF and you can do it pretty quick.

A 3 piece..... TRAVEL SHAFT..... isnt suited for full time hunting. Even Anderson says that with their 3 piece CF ones. Way to much movement...... then add the torque we put on them IN the water alone with salt and sand. Get a CF..... keep the ML for travel is my suggestion. Ive got an Andersons...... full shaft and the lower shaft is about 4" longer than the stock. They use real light and good CF... seems really light. Most of the time id say its almost as cheap to buy and Andersons or Plugger, but without the handle a good piece of long CF and you can do it pretty quick.
Travel shafts can be adapted for everyday use. Double locking system prevents any wobble. The hardest part about making a shaft, and few people realize it until it's too late, is how hard it is to actually drill holes accurately. Without the proper machinery it's a lost cause. 0.05mm off and you've got wobble. This isn't something that can be done in the garage with a hand drill.
Not uncommon for someone to buy a shaft off ebay and think they can do it themselves.. only to fudge up the shaft and end up buying a professional 1 after all is said and done.

Just got to look around. I bought two blanks for 36.99 shipped. But as Steve said drilling holes isn't for everyone. I can free hand drill. But its best to make a alignment tool where you screw the shaft at both ends to a board and use a drill press. Time you buy a drill press for most its cheaper to just buy a plugger:lol:

thanks for the input earl i have alot of bills shafts and plan on getting the 36inch for my nox asap he makes a great product :D

Brncofan

Thanks , i will tell everyone that i have been using Plugger since 2009 , i have mostly his aluminum shafts , and 1 custom 45 CF for my Excalibur, even his aluminum shaft's are good, i didn't have a paypal account, i see that he uses , so i sent him a check short shipping, i didn't know till i saw on his sight that shipping is not included on his price list and an invoice wasn't given , i guess when you check out with paypal it add's shipping on, USPS Priority it come's . I will tell you the 36 inch one piece work's for me , i have it stretched out, and still have two more adjustment holes , i am 6 foot 3 , like Chris you can get a 39 inch, if your 7 foot tall :laughing: , however that might effect balancing , the one piece 36 is solid, i didn't want a 2 piece in this application , to eliminate any wobble , better lock down that won't rust, he uses nylon wing nut's , and bolts , he also gives you an extra wing nut and bolt, agree with DEW , unless you need a 3 piece for travel the less joint's the better, but i will say i have 3 piece plugger rod's and they don't wobble, or squeak like this ML shaft on each swing :roll::mad: , you will be happy with this one piece rod, for you shorter guy's you probably won't need a 36 inch , a 34 will be ok , a half inch less than stock at 100 plus shipping , i would say under 5 foot 9 , happy hunting Mark , good luck , Earl

Back
Top Bottom