Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Kellyco Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > War Relic Hunting

Old 08-28-2019, 07:55 PM

Default All Civil War Relic Hunters Unite and Help This Kid

I know, I've been laying low for the last couple of years and not doing much relic hunting....or posting for that matter. What a shame, I live right here in south east Virginia and relic hunting was surpassed as car restoration took over. Fall is here and they're starting to cut corn so I'm ready to hunt.

Been using a Tesoro Cibola for years which I love. I actually ran circles around a couple of guys with Minelab Excalibur's. Anyhow, I'm starting to experience cable issues and false readings with my Cibola. I love this thing but heard Tesoro is going under so I'm not going to send it in for repair.

I'm looking at a Garrett AT Pro as a new detector but am up for all options, Is anyone on here using one of these machines? Feel free to chime in.

Much thanks,

John

Old 08-28-2019, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Waterhead View post
I know, I've been laying low for the last couple of years and not doing much relic hunting....or posting for that matter. What a shame, I live right here in south east Virginia and relic hunting was surpassed as car restoration took over. Fall is here and they're starting to cut corn so I'm ready to hunt.

Been using a Tesoro Cibola for years which I love. I actually ran circles around a couple of guys with Minelab Excalibur's. Anyhow, I'm starting to experience cable issues and false readings with my Cibola. I love this thing but heard Tesoro is going under so I'm not going to send it in for repair.

I'm looking at a Garrett AT Pro as a new detector but am up for all options, Is anyone on here using one of these machines? Feel free to chime in.

Much thanks,

John
I've hunted with different detectors over the years and am currently using the At Max. I haven't used the At Pro but it seems to be a good detector. I've done well with the Max here in central Va. and even won Vaughn Garrett's Find of the Month contest using one. Many detectors are out there for your choosing. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:18 PM

I do use the AT Pro and love it. It has found some amazing things. I will say I do not have any experience with other machines.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:46 PM

Where in southeastern Virginia? I live in Suffolk.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:40 PM

Where in southeastern Virginia? I live in Suffolk.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:34 AM

Default Not Far

Dohcsvt,

Right down the road on 460 past Ivor.

BTW all, I just bit the bullet on an AT Pro so we'll see.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:28 AM

Hey John, I recently switched from an Ace 200 to the AT Pro. Besides being waterproof, the Pro has many advantages. As far as digital ID, its amazing. Its very accurate at identifying targets. It doesn't have a standard back-light, which I would like. Also, I've noticed issues with depth. Supposedly, the Pro should penetrate roughly 8" into the soil, according to Garrett. However, I rarely find targets that are deeper than 4". Bench testing confirmed this. I can usually squeeze 2 more inches in depth out of it if I crank the sensitivity all the way up. Of course, that creates other issues as you well know. But in low trash areas, it can make all the difference. I've contacted the guy who sold me the Pro and also Garrett. He claims this is completely normal and that there's nothing wrong with the machine. However, I upgraded to the Pro specifically because I wasn't finding any Silver, and I was told the Pro would find it. However, I've had it for 2 months and still haven't found any silver, when I know I'm in an area that is holding silver coins. Honestly, its not any better at finding silver than my 200 was. I'm guessing its because of the lack of soil penetration. Also, I'm not impressed with the Pin-Point feature. It doesn't seem to be as accurate as I would like. Overall, I think the Pro is an excellent machine for basic hunting, but if your looking for the good stuff down deep, I would look into other machines. If you have any questions, let me know.

Mike

Old 09-07-2019, 09:14 PM

Waterhead, good to know of a fellow detectorist in the area. I live off of pitchkettle road. I have spent a few hours just down the road and have recovered almost 2 dozen minie balls, a buckle and button.

I am hoping to find some places that may hold more relic finds, as what I have found has taken about 20 hours.

Once they start cutting the corn, I found a field I want to try where a cavalry skirmish happened. Anyway, take care.
Ottis

Old 09-07-2019, 09:18 PM

Also, I am using a Garrett ACE 400 and am very pleased. I am finding buck shot and 22 casings at 6". I have pulled minie balls up from 9". I am very pleased with this little maching and have ordered a larger coil, as I am sure some relics are just out of my machines current abilities.

I was looking into an AT MAX, but I have watched some videos and am not sure that I would be pleased with it? Anyway, just my current experience.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:03 PM

Dohcsvtm

Very familiar with Pitchketle Road. I used to do quite a bunch of hunting in Suffolk. Their cutting corn as we speak.

Hit me on a PM and we'll catch up one day for lunch and discuss some hunting..

Thanks,

John

Old 09-13-2019, 04:55 PM

If you like Tesoros then you'll love golden mask detectors, especially the 4wd model.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Golden Mask 4wd