Mega Redbook

DougF

Elite Member
I picked up one of these, 2017 edition, at an Ollie's store for $7 ! Ollie's sells salvage, discontinued stock, and buyouts of stores. The cover price is $49.95, but Amazon sells the current edition for $31. I guess these were surplussed once the new edition was out. Great deal if there's an Ollie's near you. 1500 pages, for the serious coin collector only.

I read a little last night, there's several pages about the roll-out of the Lincoln cent in 1909, concerning the VDB and how the Sec. of the Treasury objected to the designer's initials on the coin. I didn't realize how there was a rush to get the new coins, with people lining up at the Treasury offices. The treasury had to limit people to ten coins per person. After the Sec. objected to the VDB, it was thought that the VDB coins would be withdrawn from circulation, so people started hoarding them.

The strange thing is that the designer's initial were on almost all US coins at that point, mostly a single initial, but because the letter "B" was already on the Barber coins, they had decided to use three initials (VDB) to avoid confusion.

Attachments

• IMG_1404 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_1404 (600x800).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 132
I was trying to find out what a certain foreign coin that I had found was. I went to a coin dealer and he had a foreign coin book but it was out of my price range. He finally offered me the past year's version for about half price. It was still expensive but it was about the size of a large phone directory. Even then the coin I was looking for wasn't in it. No one had ever heard of it.

:no:When I used to work in retail, any time we would redo the book and magazine stock the manager would take all the old books and mags and rip the cover off and throw them in the crusher.... what a waste!

We don't have an Ollies here, but it sounds cool.

:no:When I used to work in retail, any time we would redo the book and magazine stock the manager would take all the old books and mags and rip the cover off and throw them in the crusher.... what a waste!

We don't have an Ollies here, but it sounds cool.

A long time ago my wife worked as an accounts payable manager in a company that distributed various books, magazines, and comic books to stores and the stores would return unsold material for credit, then they would tear covers off for proof of return, but each employee was allowed to take home a total of seven per week, they had the covers torn off but was okay to read otherwise, got some good reference and other books, computer and astronomy magazines, and some comic books too :lol:

I remember as a kid someone had an old car stuffed with comic books that had the covers torn off, as I remember I'm pretty sure they sold them for a penny each, as kids we didn't care the cover was off and I didn't think to ask why, we were just glad to get such a discount as in the stores back then new comic books sold for 10 cents each, so we could get 10 without covers for the price of one from the store :lol:

Back
Top Bottom