If you had to choose one detector for life, what would you choose?

Now that is much more specific information than your first post ="at this time" and "for all areas and terrain types".

I respect Monte a lot and the others on this forum who will disagree.....however, the Equinox 600 or 800 would be my choice under those conditions. It might not be the best at any specific site compared to another detector but it will find most of the targets in any terrain type or mineralization from my experience with over 5,000 hours on the Equinox (and I do keep a log.)

I never thought you had ill intentions. I just needed you to be more clear about your conditions.

WOW! logging 5000+ hours, thats impressive!

I have to ask, how is the 800 for gold prospecting? like from a scale from 1-10 if you're not interested in a detailed response?

10 for shallow gold down to .1 grams or a bit smaller depending on the amount of mineralization. It has features available in its Gold Modes that no other VLF detector has.

Although I'm presently exclusively hunting with a Nox 600 if by some ridiculous set of circumstances I was forced to only have one detector It would be my White's M6 .It's built tough , works extremely well and I don't have to buy replacement battery packs from the factory .With a smaller coil it is still light and balanced enough for my deteriorating body to handle . Also if dementia should set in It would probably take me awhile longer to forget how to use it .

good point! whitey's m6 given up for dead when the mx-5 came out. mx-5 didn't sell well,so whitey reinstates the m6 because they knew how good a coin sniper
it is and always was. detector was always in the shadow of the mxt,and one of the "classic" sleepers of all time

(h.h.!)
j.t.

good point! whitey's m6 given up for dead when the mx-5 came out. mx-5 didn't sell well,so whitey reinstates the m6 because they knew how good a coin sniper
it is and always was. detector was always in the shadow of the mxt,and one of the "classic" sleepers of all time

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Odd that you posted about the M6. They really are solid, fun and mostly easy detectors. I own two and am proud of each. I had one in my home yard today to just have fun. They are so easy.

jmaclen: said:
I respect Monte a lot and the others on this forum who will disagree.....however, the Equinox 600 or 800 would be my choice under those conditions. It might not be the best at any specific site compared to another detector but it will find most of the targets in any terrain type or mineralization from my experience with over 5,000 hours on the Equinox (and I do keep a log.)
'Thank You' for the comment, and I also admire your replies and look for them when I check out various posts, but I do not disagree with your selections.

As you often point out to readers, a lot will depend on the mineralization and other conditions we face at the various places we happen to live or travel to on a detecting jaunt. In my lifetime I have lived in or traveled to a wide range of sites where the ground was very mellow to mild, or to the extremes with a lot of heavy iron mineralized conditions. That's why I have favored owning and using two or more (often many more) detectors since late '71. That's part of why it isn't easy, or possible, to answer questions like the OP did initially.

I like the Vanquish 540 for a lot of applications, but if I was to fit a Minelab back into my Outfit, it would likely be the Equinox 800, and make sure a 6" DD was with it. We all have likes and dislikes, and we devote different percentages of our hunt-time to different types of site locations and challenges. No doubt you've learned and understood what the EQ-800 can do for you. I have some very good friends I hunt with who also like the EQ-800, for a lot of what they do, but they also rely on a 2nd or 3rd detector that is stronger for other applications. Two of them favor the XP Deus for those tasks.

For me nd my selections, you or some other might not agree, but that's fine because we should single out the detector, or detectors, that work best for us and where we hunt. For me, it is an Apex, ORX, Simplex +, in that order, for general-purpose hunting, and my Bandido II µMAX, Silver Sabre µMAX and FORS Relic are my 'specialty' team for select applications. As you know, all detectors have their strengths and weaknesses, so knowing those I've settled on these.

My health and mobility are declining and I just can't get out hunting as much as I used to. I even had to let some long-time favorites go this year, such as my XLT. If my health was not an issue, I'd have kept my XLT, and likely hung onto the Equinox 800 I had as well. A very good detector, no doubt, but so is the Apex. I've not logged that many hours with it, but I have worked it a lot, and side-by-side in some challenging ferrous debris sites with other popular detectors, and the Apex has been doing well.

I do know that no reader should go out and buy what you use or I use or what anyone else seems to prefer, but instead check out what's available and select what THEY like. Too many forum threads start to lean towards pushing one or two models and that can leave some folks confused.

Monte

I have only one detector. The trusty m6. It just gets it and simple to use. Had an f75 for a short time and sold it. Was way to noisy for me. Which I fear will happen if I pull the trigger on the nox. I will never sell the M6.

Soil Surgeon: said:
Although I'm presently exclusively hunting with a Nox 600 if by some ridiculous set of circumstances I was forced to only have one detector It would be my White's M6 .It's built tough , works extremely well and I don't have to buy replacement battery packs from the factory .With a smaller coil it is still light and balanced enough for my deteriorating body to handle . Also if dementia should set in It would probably take me awhile longer to forget how to use it .
First I have to agree that it would take a "ridiculous set of circumstances" for me to every trim my Detector Outfit down to just a Detector alone. Oh, it's doable, but I just don't want to.

Second, since your resurrected the defunct White's models, I'll kind of agree with you, In the latter years they sure made some errors in detector design as well as marketing. I was asked to handle a prototype that evolve into the original MXT, and I was given one of thise first offerings. I liked it, but down the road I preferred the MXT Pro. The fnihsed product was better than the prototype I worked with, and credit for that goes to the engineer at the time, Carl Moreland.

But between the MXT and MXT Pro they brought out the simplified MXT version, the M6, that was an easy-to-operate and very efficient Coin Hunting detector. They eliminated the Relic Hunting and Prospecting functions and, when released, I quickly added an M6 w/6½" Concentric coil to my Detector Outfit. It was one of three detectors I kept in my vehicle all the time for daily travel and was a quick-grab set-up for most of my urban Coin Hunting.

That was replaced, however, by White's MX-5, using the same 6½" Concentric coil, because it gave me some Tone ID features, GB read-out, an All Metal mode, and slightly improved depth-of-detection over the M6. My friend OregonGregg still has his M6 and he found a lot of keepers when he got it, preferring it to his MXT Pro .... and that was for Relic Hunting some ghost towns. He's never been into urban Coin Hunting.

Sadly White's dropped the M6, then brought it back but, in the end, they were marketing the M6 as a 'CSI' model in their catalog. Again, dumb marketing.

I'm well outfitted now and don't need another detector, but if I come across a creampuff M6, or especially an MX-5, I just might add one back in my team of detectors. Enjoy your Equinox 600, it's a good detector ... but give it a break now and then and take that M6 out for a little fun and relaxation. :)

Monte

I think some are trying to make the OP's question too difficult. If you were asked what car would you pick if you could only pick one, would your answer be it depends on where I live? or it depends on what I'm going to use it for?

I think the original OP is just asking a simple question and can have a simple answer.

Silver Strike: said:
I have only one detector. The trusty m6. It just gets it and simple to use. - - - -. I will never sell the M6.
I like 'Simple!'

No need for complexity in a hobby that's supposed to be 'fun.' Just keep it 'simple and use what works and enjoy life.

Monte

The 3030 looks pretty nice, could you give a couple of reasons why you choose that one? I notice you have a nice assortment of detectors you swing, and I would love your opinion on your reason for this selection.

Thanks in advance!

Target trace, gps feature, and ID. Machine is built like a tank and basically does it all.

Right now from this point of sight I'd go with a Garrett Ace Apex HP bundle, as I like Multi Frequency (MSF).

First I have to agree that it would take a "ridiculous set of circumstances" for me to every trim my Detector Outfit down to just a Detector alone. Oh, it's doable, but I just don't want to.

Second, since your resurrected the defunct White's models, I'll kind of agree with you, In the latter years they sure made some errors in detector design as well as marketing. I was asked to handle a prototype that evolve into the original MXT, and I was given one of thise first offerings. I liked it, but down the road I preferred the MXT Pro. The fnihsed product was better than the prototype I worked with, and credit for that goes to the engineer at the time, Carl Moreland.

But between the MXT and MXT Pro they brought out the simplified MXT version, the M6, that was an easy-to-operate and very efficient Coin Hunting detector. They eliminated the Relic Hunting and Prospecting functions and, when released, I quickly added an M6 w/6½" Concentric coil to my Detector Outfit. It was one of three detectors I kept in my vehicle all the time for daily travel and was a quick-grab set-up for most of my urban Coin Hunting.

That was replaced, however, by White's MX-5, using the same 6½" Concentric coil, because it gave me some Tone ID features, GB read-out, an All Metal mode, and slightly improved depth-of-detection over the M6. My friend OregonGregg still has his M6 and he found a lot of keepers when he got it, preferring it to his MXT Pro .... and that was for Relic Hunting some ghost towns. He's never been into urban Coin Hunting.

Sadly White's dropped the M6, then brought it back but, in the end, they were marketing the M6 as a 'CSI' model in their catalog. Again, dumb marketing.

I'm well outfitted now and don't need another detector, but if I come across a creampuff M6, or especially an MX-5, I just might add one back in my team of detectors. Enjoy your Equinox 600, it's a good detector ... but give it a break now and then and take that M6 out for a little fun and relaxation. :)

Monte

Thank you for your informative post Monte . Tonight will be a fun and relaxation night with my M6 . :D

I think some are trying to make the OP's question too difficult. If you were asked what car would you pick if you could only pick one, would your answer be it depends on where I live? or it depends on what I'm going to use it for?

I think the original OP is just asking a simple question and can have a simple answer.

That is an interesting and valid comparison. Very few people have rear wheel drive cars or trucks where I live. They are useless here 8 months out of the year.
Even front wheel drives have major problems during part of the year. I need all terrain capabilities in my vehicles just like I need them in my detectors. I have rarely just bought a car because I really liked it without taking into account your examples.

I wish I could just pick up any detector and go have fun with it where I often detect. I would not have much fun however due to high mineralization.

Odd that you posted about the M6. They really are solid, fun and mostly easy detectors. I own two and am proud of each. I had one in my home yard today to just have fun. They are so easy.

yes! simple, well balanced,(especially with the 5.3 concentric coil).
really,a great coin,and jewelry detector.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom