Advice for finding lost ring

Chroma

Elite Member
I was out detecting today in my neighborhood and a couple asked me if I could look for the husband's gold wedding ring that he lost two weeks ago in their front yard. So I'm going over there tomorrow to see if I can find it, and I will scan the wife's similar ring to get an idea of ID number. Does anyone with experience finding gold rings have any advice? I have a Minelab Vanquish 440. I'm considering turning down the sensitivity, since the ring will be shallow or on the surface, and discriminating out high tones and iron. The front yard at the house is not huge--only about 0.15 acres--and they think the ring could really be anywhere in the yard. Just trying to maximize my chances for success; thanks for any help!

You’ve already answered the questions. Tune it for the range you want, make sure the sensitivity is turned down since you’re looking for surface/shallow items and make sure to overlap the swings at least a little bit for coverage. You’ll find it in no time.
Might I add….be SURE to question them before you get going! Ask them specifically WHY they believe it’s in the front yard. ALOT of people jump to some pretty fat reaching “pre-conclusions” so to avoid that, they have to give you a good reason as to why it would be there. For them to say “the ring is gone, therefore it must be in the yard” is a very good way to waste a day and for you to look like a fool at YOUR expense. If they say “He was throwing a rock and saw the ring fly off into the bushes”….that’s better. To assume it’s in the yard because it’s not on his finger? Not good.

You’ve already answered the questions. Tune it for the range you want, make sure the sensitivity is turned down since you’re looking for surface/shallow items and make sure to overlap the swings at least a little bit for coverage. You’ll find it in no time.

Alright, thanks

See my addition above….

Yes, good point. They said they were playing games in the front yard with their grandkids and that it must have slipped off his finger. Said they rented a detector and tried raking the yard with no luck. I'll give it a try.

You need to search deep and slow...cover every bit of the yard...you don't get many chances like this to hunt virgin ground. When you find the ring...wait till you have finished the yard before you quit. You must be thorough! These things take time and patience. :)

Be careful about scanning the wife's ring for an idea on the ID. Ring size makes a big difference. My wedding band rings up at 20, my wife's rings up at 10.

Having been lost only 2 weeks ago, at least it should be pretty much a surface find - still probably hidden to the eye but no digging required. Good Luck!

Don't take anything for granted. Gold is heavy and depending on soil conditions; i.e. porous,sandy,well watered,etc, it could have sunk in two weeks. Good luck! Ring returns are the best!

Be careful about scanning the wife's ring for an idea on the ID. Ring size makes a big difference. My wedding band rings up at 20, my wife's rings up at 10.

Having been lost only 2 weeks ago, at least it should be pretty much a surface find - still probably hidden to the eye but no digging required. Good Luck!

X2. I applaud you for testing it. If the rings were a matched set but only sized different, you are still a smarter bear than most.

Get a picture/accurate description of said lost ring. Agree upon you keeping everything else you find before you begin. In case you find another ring...

Get a picture/accurate description of said lost ring. Agree upon you keeping everything else you find before you begin. In case you find another ring...

Good point, didn't consider that. But not too worried about finding much else as house was built in 1968.

I just noticed this thread and was wondering how did it turn out?
When I found this woman's lost wedding band for 11 years some weeks ago I did have a general idea where to look. She had lost it when walking from her car to the back door. Came up 28 on the Simplex.

Before you grid it, do this. go there at night (with their permission so you won't get shot) with a bright LED flashlight. walk the yard, and bushes from two different directions and look for a reflection. Sometimes you can find it quicker than gridding with a detector.

If that fails, then do what others have suggested in this tread. I know it is more fun to find with a detector, but sometimes recent drops in a yard are found easier with a flashlight.

Before you grid it, do this. go there at night (with their permission so you won't get shot) with a bright LED flashlight. walk the yard, and bushes from two different directions and look for a reflection. Sometimes you can find it quicker than gridding with a detector.

If that fails, then do what others have suggested in this tread. I know it is more fun to find with a detector, but sometimes recent drops in a yard are found easier with a flashlight.

Thanks, good advice. I found the ring a few days ago, made an update post here.

Back
Top Bottom