Breakout Hunts Arrive

jack&jill

Elite Member
I know that it is never easy digging Silver Coins regardless how some make it look. Last year I had a year that everything I did made the task really look very easy. Well 2019 for me has been very much different. The Long Winter and the slow to develop Spring made things seem even worse. Well this last two outings has me feeling pretty good again. Got out with Air Force Mike for the first hunt. We went to a site that has given up some nice rewards but not a lot of targets in the past. True to its nature not many targets were dug. but what was dug was pretty good. I had a big Silver day with 4 Merc's and a Silver GW. Managed my 2nd Indian of the year and 3 Wheat's. Mike dug a Silver Rosie and a hand full of Wheat's. We only had 3 clad coins between us. I'd bet not 40 plugs were dug between us both in over 4 hours of swinging. Yesterday I went to a Brew city park that has been hunted by many before me. I put in another four hours plus and came home with 3 more Silvers. Two Merc's and a older Rosie. One of the Merc's is a 1917 and is in nice shape. These 8 coins puts a big jump in the count which now has me at 21 FTY. On to the next. Trapper

Attachments

• 4-3-19 1 .jpg
    4-3-19 1 .jpg
    68 KB · Views: 403
  • 4-3-19 .jpg
    4-3-19 .jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 372
  • 4-5-19 .jpg
    4-5-19 .jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 381
Nice Trapper, great to see lots of the shiny coming out of the ground for you! It has been a bit slow as the ground here did not thaw out till the end of March.

Nice finds!!!
Appreciate your reply Vic, thank you. Trapper
Nice Trapper, great to see lots of the shiny coming out of the ground for you! It has been a bit slow as the ground here did not thaw out till the end of March.
Really understand the slow thaw David. I'm just happy to 50 degrees again, oh and some Silver does help the disposition also. Trapper

On your way!
Hitting a crazy high number one year makes the next year really tough, it gets hard not to be obsessed.

On your way!
Hitting a crazy high number one year makes the next year really tough, it gets hard not to be obsessed.

“It gets hard not to be obsessed...”....never were more true words ever spoken,and I am going to turn back the throttle this year. When you go hunt the same places with little to no results,it takes a lot of the sparkle out of the hobby. You feel as though,for some reason,you HAVE to find silver,or whatever you’re after. When you DONT...it sucks. You start chasing machines,settings,coils,more settings....your sites have dried up. There are only so many coins out there,finding them is getting progressively more difficult.
I just came from a 4 hour hunt that produced close to nothing,and I had 4 grand in equipment in the car. What does that say? It says no matter how much you spend,you can’t buy something that will find something that’s not there. And as soon as you think you’ve outsmarted the next guy,you find that if it’s public,it’s been hunted. Maybe not completely,maybe not to extinction...but it’s been hunted,and you can tell not only by what ISNT there,but what IS there.
Die hard hunters come up with this stuff,Trap is “die hard”. There are very few who will outhunt him,because he’s just that tenacious. There isn’t any other way to put it. And pretty much no matter what,he will find SOME place that will produce. It’s never easy,the last time I dug an “easy” silver...years ago. When you know what to listen for,you realize that most silver doesn’t even sound like a good tight coin signal at all.
Lookin’ good Trapper!:yes:

Great job Sir. I got home from my trip down state last night . Had planned on some detecting while down there but built a deck for my dad instead. So i went this morning for 3hrs and dug some silver myself. Will post some pics this evening .

“It gets hard not to be obsessed...”....never were more true words ever spoken,and I am going to turn back the throttle this year. When you go hunt the same places with little to no results,it takes a lot of the sparkle out of the hobby. You feel as though,for some reason,you HAVE to find silver,or whatever you’re after. When you DONT...it sucks. You start chasing machines,settings,coils,more settings....your sites have dried up. There are only so many coins out there,finding them is getting progressively more difficult.
I just came from a 4 hour hunt that produced close to nothing,and I had 4 grand in equipment in the car. What does that say? It says no matter how much you spend,you can’t buy something that will find something that’s not there. And as soon as you think you’ve outsmarted the next guy,you find that if it’s public,it’s been hunted. Maybe not completely,maybe not to extinction...but it’s been hunted,and you can tell not only by what ISNT there,but what IS there.
Die hard hunters come up with this stuff,Trap is “die hard”. There are very few who will outhunt him,because he’s just that tenacious. There isn’t any other way to put it. And pretty much no matter what,he will find SOME place that will produce. It’s never easy,the last time I dug an “easy” silver...years ago. When you know what to listen for,you realize that most silver doesn’t even sound like a good tight coin signal at all.
Man you nailed it, it's getting so hard out there. Trapper makes it look easy time in and time out. Splendid hunting Jack, looking forward to the next report!

On your way!
Thanks Zee, Last year I did a lot of prep work before I retired. That alone was a huge advantage I had over 30 permissions lined up and a list of over 80 sites on my list before I made my first swing. Those sights are now not as full of loot. New locations are a lot farther away so driving time is now a bigger part of the equation. Still a great time is to be had. Trapper
Your very right Kevin, you can not dig what is not there. So now the challenge is to hunt sights others found to be to tough to hunt. Hit the trashy sections and the edges. Things will get better when permissions allow fresh grounds but until then it seems to be a long drive to find some loot. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom