New oldest coin for the year

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
My hunting buddies and I always have a running contest for the oldest coin on the year. I thought John had it wrapped up with his find of an 1877, I believe it was, seated dime from our local park. Well I went out for a quick hunt at the same city park before going to bed and my first find was an 1857 seated dime. Found at the same location where the city is doing all the construction work.

5-3-2015-seated.jpg

Great find! Congrats on the seated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

woowee! that thing was DIRTY! I would say that's one of the worst looking dirt silvers I've seen this year!

Congrats on a great save and getting that PR out of the way.

What did you clean it with? Looks good

woowee! that thing was DIRTY! I would say that's one of the worst looking dirt silvers I've seen this year!

I agree that thing looked like it came out of a Michigan inland lake...

Was it really low or wet ground you found it in?

<*)))>{

It was found in dirt roughly 4" but this is at the construction site in the park. It is in the same area where the Santa Fe Trail spit off from the main trail that continued west following the Arkansas river. This trial was known by the Mexicans as Jornada Del Muerto or Journey of Death. There was a watering hole at this location so maybe it had been lost in the water for many years and then the construction moved it to dirt?

I cleaned it by holding it in water while using a Dremel Tool with a brass wheel. Probably not a good way to clean a coin if you plan on selling it.

Back
Top Bottom