CTX settings for salt water beaches

DaviDs

Forum Supporter
:detector: Seen quite a few different programs for dry and wet. Whatcha all using for the dry (high trash) areas vs. wet?
-David

Attachments

• 61Pne1FVUrL._SL1200_.jpg
    61Pne1FVUrL._SL1200_.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 971
I spent a little time with that yesterday at Huntington Beach. First tried the wet with basically all gains maxed after a Noise Cancel - no targets. All this rain and no erosion. Not fluffy but not hard pack either. So I try the dry. Had been gone over by the cleaner rigs but still full of foil, rusty tent stakes, and trash. Hard to make out what anything was correctly. I read somewhere to leave the upper right ID corner open but that just let everything in so I closed it and much better. My pattern was a home made using Beach settings and auto accept on just my good targets at home. I walked around and found little. I think ID's of coins were skewing a bit because they were corroded. Heard a quarter. Then switched to Coin mode and it was much more obvious. I'd like to sit down and see what it is that made it better - I now need to run Coin settings and do an Auto accept pattern on my good stuff again. Just so you know, pennies of any sort are not on my good list. There were a lot of those around - found if I got curious as to what almost got through my disc pattern.

I don't think I'll be an owner of anything that requires reading a digital screen when in the water. I saw a guy recently with his CTX at Miami Beach spending much of his swinging time looking down at the screen. Between targets, there are much better things to look at down here than a digital screen. ;) I also think that those detectors that require a PhD to master are not for me. My land detector, a Deleon, has a digital screen, but that's just to give a number since its a one tone machine. I want to hear a beep and dig. That's my mentality.

Dave

Just remember Mine Lab now has a Salt water setting on the machine, the way i used the E-trac is , i didn't worry so much on the program's, ran the screen pretty much open, payed attention to the sound's and number's, on the CTX with FBS2, the ID was a improvement , may i suggest you get from Phil, or Amazon Andy Sabisch THE CTX 3030 Handbook, i am reading it now, it has a lot of good information in it, it was like 29.00 on Amazon, Did you get the 17 inch coil for the beach yet ? :?: happy hunting, Earl PS the programs , most will constrict the ability to release the power of the CTX 3030, you all can correct me if i am wrong, i still am not finished the Book :D

Just remember Mine Lab now has a Salt water setting on the machine, the way i used the E-trac is , i didn't worry so much on the program's, ran the screen pretty much open, payed attention to the sound's and number's, on the CTX with FBS2, the ID was a improvement , may i suggest you get from Phil, or Amazon Andy Sabisch THE CTX 3030 Handbook, i am reading it now, it has a lot of good information in it, it was like 29.00 on Amazon, Did you get the 17 inch coil for the beach yet ? :?: happy hunting, Earl PS the programs , most will constrict the ability to release the power of the CTX 3030, you all can correct me if i am wrong, i still am not finished the Book :D
I just saw Andy Sabich has a CTX boot camp...a one day event with mixed classroom and practical training with test gardens. So far, the reviews have been fantastic.

I watch videos and Drayton says to use minimal settings and tones, while others are loading this and that....so much that is makes my head spin. Lol

So far, all reviews claim the seawater mode works great. .im just wondering about the uppder dry and trashy areas.[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I don't think I'll be an owner of anything that requires reading a digital screen when in the water. I saw a guy recently with his CTX at Miami Beach spending much of his swinging time looking down at the screen. Between targets, there are much better things to look at down here than a digital screen. ;) I also think that those detectors that require a PhD to master are not for me. My land detector, a Deleon, has a digital screen, but that's just to give a number since its a one tone machine. I want to hear a beep and dig. That's my mentality.
10-4. Well ill give it a shot. My Explorer II with the big coil was going into overload in trashy areas and my ears stsrt ringing from the Excals high threshold volume. Excal is going to be tucked away strictly for scuba.

BTW, Phil and Earl were right about Excal depth. I went back and did another test, 13" on a dime. =)

You Know

Dave how it's always been, the more disc, less depth, i will be running the 17 at the beach with wide open screen, if it's a nail it will register low left FE 35 line, as far as the dry goes, a program might be needed, maybe ITSARING will chime in, as he hunt's the beaches with the CTX 3030, howboutit Larry :detector: PS i suggest you get a screen saver 1st thing, ChrisMD gave me 2 from NuShield Inc item # NU300RE , these protector's have one of the highest rating's, i put the 1st one on, the 2nd one goes on my new machine today, Earl

Scuba

Fisher make's good machine's, i kept my F75se, but they do need some new technology to hit the market, as the CZ20s, 21's are based on the same 2 frequency basis- for decade's, and are heavy- as a tank, may i suggest since you dive, upgrade to a Aqua Pulse , these machine's are used by dive team's in Florida , searching for 1715 fleet treasure , don't get me wrong the CZ21 still work's, but it's old based-2 frequency technology, with not much improvement over the year's, Earl

Fisher make's good machine's, i kept my F75se, but they do need some new technology to hit the market, as the CZ20s, 21's are based on the same 2 frequency basis- for decade's, and are heavy- as a tank, may i suggest since you dive, upgrade to a Aqua Pulse , these machine's are used by dive team's in Florida , searching for 1715 fleet treasure , don't get me wrong the CZ21 still work's, but it's old based-2 frequency technology, with not much improvement over the year's, Earl

LOL Earl, you are suggesting I use a PI in fresh water? I wouldn't be able to move an inch!

I hip mount it ALWAYS and it isn't heavy at all.

I realize a new machine needs to come out. However we really have no deep sand where I hunt. In some places yes but most the places have 2 - 10 inches and then clay or hard pan. Most everything is above the clay or hard pan. We don't have 40' of sand covering our finds up here.

My comment was a joke. I thought some salties would get a laugh out of it. I know the CTX is a good machine. I would just drown it.

I love Fishers CZ machines. simply put, they work. But its going on 30 years using the same tech. THIRTY years!!! Come on, at least change the color of the machine, add wireless, add coils, something.

Scuba

Ok , being you can't get out of Michigan :lol: , this is what i did :laughing:, sold the TANK CZ20, and KEPT the Blue 1000, and Blue 800, get a Excalibur :lol: CYA PS we all know why you won't do it , because you use the Tank to get to the bottom faster , and come up slow for the lung's :hornetsnest::realitycheck::laughing: Tell him Dave, we like our investment's :yes::D

Screen wide open, deep and sea on, sense and gain max, a good audible threshold and tone one in clean wet areas. For the goodies, its the same as with the Xcal listen for the change in the threshold and dig :) In iron scattered areas I switch to screen two, where I only have the lower right blocked, test in the yard with iron.

In iron infested areas I have the same setting with recover fast on.

Just dig everything and don't mind the screen and the mixed good and iron tones to much, just dig it :)

Main thing is use anything but those yellow koss junk on a CTX. I been using the sun ray pro golds for years in the rain and they still work. Ear pads are rotten but I can tell they are mine:lol:

Mine was too noisy in manual sens. I run auto +3 all the time. 17" coil get rid of the coil cover if you hunt where I do. Sometimes I run seawater on, sometimes off. Open screen all the time. Never ran a screen saver on mine and its held up good. But if you are gonna water hunt use an Excalibur or Excalibur 2. The CTX loses depth underwater here. Youll know when a wave passes over a wet sand target and it disappears until the water recedes.

...Tell him Dave, we like our investment's :yes::D
Yeppers! lol

Screen wide open, deep and sea on, sense and gain max, a good audible threshold and tone one in clean wet areas. For the goodies, its the same as with the Xcal listen for the change in the threshold and dig :) In iron scattered areas I switch to screen two, where I only have the lower right blocked, test in the yard with iron...
10-4, thanks!!

Main thing is use anything but those yellow koss junk ... Mine was too noisy in manual sens. I run auto +3 all the time. 17" coil get rid of the coil cover if you hunt where I do. Sometimes I run seawater on, sometimes off. Open screen all the time...
well, well....look who finally showed up to the party, :lol: LOL. Cool.
I swung by Indiatlantic after work and had to use the same settings as JAX. What a difference compared to the gulf side. Man, I swear the gulf folks have it easy. My lil' guy was swinging his BH and finding targets as easy as I was.

ALL: Drayton talks about leaving the fast off, as it may skip over targets. Y'all ever do any tests at the beach and see if that is true?

Thank's looks like i was wright Dave, get the 17 coil now, and while your at it, ya might as well get the 6 to, ya only live once :D Dave, here ya go watch this, Earl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlPuI9HXBrw

Earl I love the 17" and the stock. For the beach I didn't like the 6" or the coiltek. The coiltek is a floater too. And it made some noise with saltwater droplets on the coil here. Sold the last two.

Ok , being you can't get out of Michigan :lol: , this is what i did :laughing:, sold the TANK CZ20, and KEPT the Blue 1000, and Blue 800, get a Excalibur :lol: CYA PS we all know why you won't do it , because you use the Tank to get to the bottom faster , and come up slow for the lung's :hornetsnest::realitycheck::laughing: Tell him Dave, we like our investment's :yes::D

I use the tank for two reasons. Even though I love the E-Trac and the sounds it makes. I love my silent machines underwater. I can hear idiot boaters who do not know the law.

And as a matter of opinion, I think the Excal is UGLY!!

Itsaring / Scuba

I think i will like the 6 on land & in trashy areas, Scuba, you think the cz21 look's better than the Excalibur's , you need to get your eye's checked, i hope your taste in woman is better :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom