1804 draped bust half cent

CTpilgrim

Elite Member
So I don’t post all the coppers I find but this one is so nice I figured I had to share. I went out yesterday to prospect a possible site I found on LiDAR but it turned out to be a bust. With a little time left I stopped by a cellar hole that myself and my dad have hit hard over the last few years. The ground was like a parking lot because this spot gets very little sun. My first signal was a beer can right in the surface then I dug a fired bullet. I stood up from extracting the bullet and hit a solid 25 at about 2 inches deep right near where the beer can was. I had to jump on the shovel with both feet just to get a hole dug. I got the plug out and swung over the hole hoping it was still in there, it wasn’t. In the plug, in the frozen dirt was a quarter sized coin. I figured it was a clad quarter until I looked at it and could see the word liberty above the bust. The dirt was so frozen and caked to it that I didn’t do anything to it until I got home and it thawed. After lightly toothpicking this is the result. I figure this coin wasn’t in circulation very long and fits in with other things found here. Not sure how we missed this on previous trips but I’m not complaining. This is my 97th copper and hopefully I can hit 100 very soon. Hopefully your ground is still soft because mine definitely is not. The pictures are with some sidelight to show the details.

Attachments

• 827ABBC8-B723-4DEC-AC6B-1EB083B0C96B.jpg
    827ABBC8-B723-4DEC-AC6B-1EB083B0C96B.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 434
  • EC05F44B-CC00-4DA7-9A15-CD777A35EFDE.jpg
    EC05F44B-CC00-4DA7-9A15-CD777A35EFDE.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 419
East coast half cents : Sick sick sick :sissyfight: (nice play by play though ! )

So I don’t post all the coppers I find but this one is so nice I figured I had to share. I went out yesterday to prospect a possible site I found on LiDAR but it turned out to be a bust. With a little time left I stopped by a cellar hole that myself and my dad have hit hard over the last few years. The ground was like a parking lot because this spot gets very little sun. My first signal was a beer can right in the surface then I dug a fired bullet. I stood up from extracting the bullet and hit a solid 25 at about 2 inches deep right near where the beer can was. I had to jump on the shovel with both feet just to get a hole dug. I got the plug out and swung over the hole hoping it was still in there, it wasn’t. In the plug, in the frozen dirt was a quarter sized coin. I figured it was a clad quarter until I looked at it and could see the word liberty above the bust. The dirt was so frozen and caked to it that I didn’t do anything to it until I got home and it thawed. After lightly toothpicking this is the result. I figure this coin wasn’t in circulation very long and fits in with other things found here. Not sure how we missed this on previous trips but I’m not complaining. This is my 97th copper and hopefully I can hit 100 very soon. Hopefully your ground is still soft because mine definitely is not. The pictures are with some sidelight to show the details.

Dont come out of the ground nicer than that very often

Congrats on the half cent, I think I have only dug 3-4 in 10 years... too much snow to detect in my area unfortunately. Good luck if/when your able to get back out there!

Back
Top Bottom