A good video for any beginner - not detector brand specific

The second video is an accurate summation of metal detecting as it exists in 2022. It is also a statement about the deterioration of society when he describes the loads of trash at the surface compared to 30 years ago when there was virtually no trash. The amount of litter in an area is a litmus test for behavior in that area.

I watched the second video.

I started detecting 35 years ago, but I got out of it until fairly recently. Back then, I could go into any city park and walk out with a handful of silver coins, and usually silver rings, and often gold. The amount of trash now is phenomenal. So much so, that I'm finding it very discouraging.

I'm glad he pointed out EMI. EMI has gotten progressively worse, and there will come a time in the near future when in the city, SMF will be unusable. EMI noise cancelling won't matter, because it's just a frequency filter (actually, EMI noise reduction is almost useless right now). You will have to filter out so many frequencies, that you might as well just use a single frequency.

Something he didn't point out though, is the fact that those silver coins have also had another few decades to sink even deeper. How deep? Well, I live in fairly arid area, and I recently hunted an early 1900's exhibition grounds, that had about 8" of the dirt removed. I found a lot of very tiny silver dimes and 5 cent pieces, but taking into account the 8" scraped off, most of the coins were at about 12" deep. Those tiny silvers were out of reach for any metal detector.

I've blabbed on a lot in the past about not just EMI, but silent EMI. I only do so, because it seems a lot of detectorists underestimate the drastic effects of EMI, and the benefits of using an appropriate SF.

I just found this post from Tom Dankowski in regards to silent EMI:

Let's say I have a particular field that presents serious potential.... for my intended quest. It may be a several-hour round-trip to this special site. I want the best equipment that is the most technologically advanced.... that will present maximum potential for success.

I arrive.
Turn F75LTD 'on'. Individually run through all the noise-cancel channels..... and find the one that presents the least EMI. I learn that 3 of the noise-cancel channels present no audible EMI. Channel 2, 3 and 5. Even though these three channels present no audible EMI...… I air-test the unit on a clad dime. Channel 2 allows detection of clad dime to a air-test distance of 9". Channel 3 allows for a air-test distance of 8". Channel 5 expresses 9.5". Even though I can hear no audible EMI...… the "silent EMI" restricts my best performance to a maximum of 9.5". Knowing the F75 ….. under normal circumstances...… will air-test a clad dime to 12"; now expresses reduced performance to 9.5". My "no-go" decision is implemented. . . . . due to my (minimum) 10" requirement.

I then swap detectors to the Equinox. Perform Auto noise-cancel. Then verify the auto noise cancel selection..... by individually testing each one of the noise-cancel channels...… manually. I find 2 channels that are better than the auto noise-cancel selection. Then...………… I perform the required/standardized clad dime air-test..... utilizing the three best noise-cancel channels. One channel presents 7" air-test. Another channel presents 9". And the 3rd channel presents 9.5". In an EMI-free area.... the EQX will air-test a clad dime to 13". Again...…. "no-go" decision is implemented.

Now I grab the Anfibio. Only one channel presents no audible EMI. All other channels express varying degrees of EMI. But/yet; clad dime air-tests to 8.5". No-go again!

I switch to the CZ. There are no noise-cancel channels. Unit is exceptionally quiet/stable. CZ performs on-site air-test to 11" on a clad dime. (It'll do 12.3" air-test in EMI free areas). Go/no-go decision passes...… and I choose to hunt with a slight handicap in depth...… due to silent EMI; yet, the CZ presents the best depth potential. The moment I start to sweep the coil, I realize the area is littered with carpets of square nails...…. rendering the CZ 'useless'.

The final decision; the site is EMI inaccessible. Unhuntable. I must then leave...…. and find a different site.

Site 2.
This time...… the EQX air-tests a clad dime to 10.5" …… expressing minimal 'audible' EMI. . . . on it's best noise-cancel channel. Interestingly (educationally): one of the other noise-cancel channels presents no audible EMI also; yet, air-test performance is only 7". Silent EMI is crippling.

Site 3.
The Anfibio presents the best clad dime air-test performance; whilst the other units do not pass the go/no-go process.

This is a very common occurrence. It is easy to not realize just how bad 'silent' EMI is. One detector may work 'ok' in a particular area, whilst other detectors may hardly perform. This can also explain why: some days.... you have really good success.,.,.,.,.,.,., yet, other days you have so-called: bad luck. (((There's science behind this))). Having the ability to perform the simple clad dime air-test on any particular site...…. and with multiple different detectors...…. can dictate your so-called: luck.

The first video is really good for starting out. Lots of basic info.

The second video I feel doesn't necessarily pertain to all, but more a select group in bigger cities. Here in dodge, a population of around 28,000, I have only seen one other detectorist that I didn't know. Most of the hunters over the years I've seen, maybe 2 at most, were/are relic hunters hunting in the fields around town I guess. I never see them in town. I and the buddy I've hunted with for 35 years are it that I've seen.

I will agree that EMI seems to be more of an issue now, but I also think a lot has to do with the newer detectors being pushed to their limits with factory programs. My older detectors don't seem to suffer from EMI nearly as much as my Simplex for example. I also remember the Deus & NOX 800 being a bit on the chattery side

I haven't really noticed much of a change in the trash as well. Now I will say way back then I hunted coins and relics so I discriminated out where aluminum and stuff would be. It seems these new higher frequencies are more prone to EMI & trash. While I've cherry-picked for many years with detectors like my E-Trac, I don't seem to have missed much from trash or EMI. Just m observation.

Last edited:
I've got areas of my city in which the EMI has become so high, that SMF detectors, and SF detectors running up to around 15 khz are pretty much unusable. For example, I can't use my 12 khz Simplex on those sites, unless I reduce the sensitivity so much, that I get very poor depth. However, with a Selectable SF detector, I've found that 20 khz and higher, is generally outside of the range of current EMI (for now).

On land, I'm mainly looking for deep silver coins. So what I do for each site, is deeply bury a silver dime on edge (IMO most coins in the ground are on edge or edged), then use whatever SMF mode or SF hits it better. Typically, SMF is out of question due to high EMI, and 20 khz or higher hits it very well, and with much less EMI interference. I could go up to 40 khz, but the higher the frequency, then the more tiny bits of metal will be detected. I'm looking at you foil! lol

I've got areas of my city in which the EMI has become so high, that SMF detectors, and SF detectors running up to around 15 khz are pretty much unusable. For example, I can't use my 12 khz Simplex on those sites, unless I reduce the sensitivity so much, that I get very poor depth. However, with a Selectable SF detector, I've found that 20 khz and higher, is generally outside of the range of current EMI (for now).

On land, I'm mainly looking for deep silver coins. So what I do for each site, is deeply bury a silver dime on edge (IMO most coins in the ground are on edge or edged), then use whatever SMF mode or SF hits it better. Typically, SMF is out of question due to high EMI, and 20 khz or higher hits it very well, and with much less EMI interference. I could go up to 40 khz, but the higher the frequency, then the more tiny bits of metal will be detected. I'm looking at you foil! lol

I'd really like to know how you have determined that most coins are on edge?

You have mentioned this before but I have noticed that you have now added "OR EDGED"

If you take a coin that lays flat vs all other possibilities then yes most coins are not flat. With that being said I think people should know just what your digging method is. I ask this because for 6 years I used a plug popper that pulled a plug out. This allowed me to see just how coins were in my soil. You'd be surprised just how many coins I have found flat. most from 3" to 9". One was in a church lot that was old and found an 1875 50 Centavos at 6". It was laying perfectly flat at the bottom of the plug.. Done that same thing with many a wheat pennies.

So many coins are flat. I would even argue that your EDGED coins mostly favor flat. I would say even less are actually on edge. Then again I am sure a lot depends on location and soil type.

I'd really like to know how you have determined that most coins are on edge?

I haven't "determined" it. That's why I say "IMO", or "I'm thinking".

Probability is one possible aspect, and the path of least resistance is another. Let's also keep in mind that on edge coins are much harder to detect than flat coins, so " I dig more flat coins" isn't really a valid argument.

The only true way to determine how coins are mainly situated in the ground, is using an x-ray machine, and I doubt anyone is going to try that anytime soon :)

Regardless of that that, my point is burying a coin deep, or on edge so that it presents a low signal to the detector, then using an SMF mode, or SF mode that detects that low signal the best.

The first video is really good for starting out. Lots of basic info.

The second video I feel doesn't necessarily pertain to all, but more a select group in bigger cities. Here in dodge, a population of around 28,000, I have only seen one other detectorist that I didn't know. Most of the hunters over the years I've seen, maybe 2 at most, were/are relic hunters hunting in the fields around town I guess. I never see them in town. I and the buddy I've hunted with for 35 years are it that I've seen.

I will agree that EMI seems to be more of an issue now, but I also think a lot has to do with the newer detectors being pushed to their limits with factory programs. My older detectors don't seem to suffer from EMI nearly as much as my Simplex for example. I also remember the Deus & NOX 800 being a bit on the chattery side

I haven't really noticed much of a change in the trash as well. Now I will say way back then I hunted coins and relics so I discriminated out where aluminum and stuff would be. It seems these new higher frequencies are more prone to EMI & trash. While I've cherry-picked for many years with detectors like my E-Trac, I don't seem to have missed much from trash or EMI. Just m observation.

The problem of EMI is not with higher frequencies, it is the multi frequencies that are causing the problems.

The problems started with multi frequency detectors when the Equinox was released. The DFX or Etrac would run on two frequencies without the problems of the newer multi frequency detectors.

In my opinion companies took a step backwards from what they use to be.

Back
Top Bottom