Found out it REALLY paid us to check for better auto insurance rates !

GKL

Forum Supporter
I have not been posting as much recently, simply been busier than usual, but hope to post more regularly before too long.

Anyhow, in hopes my experience MIGHT help others who are upset at their auto insurance rates I wanted to take the time to share this.....

I needed to try and find some cheaper auto insurance, our current insurance said they were raising our rates for the upcoming 6 month period by about $102 more than what we paid for the current 6 month period even though we filed no claims and had no tickets or accidents, they said it was likely due to more bad drivers being reported in our area, I said why should we have to pay more for OTHER drivers messing up ?

Anyhow, first I spent a long while on the phone with a representative for the AARP sponsored insurance company and after all that time they actually wanted to charge more than USAA ! :shock:

I was beginning to think I was going to have to tell my wife we were just going to have to pay the higher premium our current company was going to charge, but I thought let me check another company thinking it might not make a difference, but at least it might show me the higher premium could not be avoided, but I was wrong !

I didn't want to go thru a long phone call again so I figured I'd simply get an online quote from another company, so I went to the "Progressive" web site (turns out they give an extra discount for requesting a quote online).

......and here was the difference, if we had stayed with our current company (USAA) they were going to charge us $810.90 for 6 months to cover 3 vehicles (increased from $708.05)

....with Progressive we got pretty much the same coverage on our 3 vehicles for ONLY $424 for 6 months ! :shock: ...that is a savings of $386 for 6 months over what USAA was going to charge, that is a savings of $772 a year ! ....so we went ahead and switched online, didn't even have to talk to anyone, they will even notify our current company we are switching !

......sometimes it really pays to do some research and not automatically assume a better deal is not out there !

NOTE: I can't guarantee Progressive will help anyone else with much better rates, but it doesn't hurt to check an online quote just to see for sure !

Edit to add:

ALSO NOTE: Seems like if you check reviews for insurance companies people seem much more likely to write a review if they had a negative experience and you might rarely see a review from those who are satsified, so please note: I can not vouch for Progressive as far as how well they satisfy claims, only that we got a really good rate, and hope that 6 months from now when the renewal is due that they don't try to raise the rates like USAA did.

Last edited:
Way to go Gary! That money you are saving will be better spent on groceries.

Thanks ! Yep, and we stock up on sales to stretch our grocery budget even further !

.....I could understand higher rates IF I had a bad driving record or filed claims, but why raise my rates because of more of bad drivers on the road, charge only THEM the higher rates, not me :roll: :lol:

......why raise my rates because of more of bad drivers on the road, charge only THEM the higher rates, not me :roll: :lol:

They can't charge somebody more if they aren't paying in the first place (uninsured motorists). Also, there's local car theft and hit-and-runs trends.

They can't charge somebody more if they aren't paying in the first place (uninsured motorists). Also, there's local car theft and hit-and-runs trends.

Good point, but unless I am mistaken I think in South Carolina a person is required to have insurance on a car.

As far as thefts and hit and runs, they should not raise a person's rate unless it happens to them, but I guess some insurance companies might feel if you have to have insurance to drive your car you will pay the increase fair or not :roll:

(I guess they feel they are in the driver's seat as far as raising rates :drive: :money: :lol:)

Congrats, a penny saved is a penny earned!

Thanks, in this case I am saving 77,200 pennies a year ! :lol:
coin-shower-smiley-emoticon.gif

My home insurance just jumped up $429.00:shock:per year. I pay $1029 a year:shock::shock:. However California has been on fire for three times a year now so that has to be why.🔥

My home insurance just jumped up $429.00:shock:per year. I pay $1029 a year:shock::shock:. However California has been on fire for three times a year now so that has to be why.🔥

Wow ! that is indeed a big increase ! :shock:

You think they'd want to start making houses out of concrete blocks there !

(our home insurance is pricey due to being a fairly large manufactured home as not all companies will cover manufactured homes)

Thanks ! Yep, and we stock up on sales to stretch our grocery budget even further !

.....I could understand higher rates IF I had a bad driving record or filed claims, but why raise my rates because of more of bad drivers on the road, charge only THEM the higher rates, not me :roll: :lol:
If it’s anything like here in Michigan, half the state is driving uninsured. With some ins co.’s if you just inquire about making a claim, they raise your rates. I have to insure auto and homeowners insurance with separate companies to get the best deal.

Being on a fixed income any money I can save anywhere helps me out. I have checked several sites that claim they could save me car insurance and none came close to what I pay now. Same with my home insurance.

Cheap is great, but what it all comes down to is will they pay the claim.

FACT!

We had 100 mph winds a couple of weeks ago and I had roof damage, some shingles lost, 2 windows broken and 10' of wooden picket fence blown down. My adjuster was out last week and told me they will pay to have my entire roof done, all of my southern fence, about 35', and the two windows. He actually told me if I have a friend that can do the work, I can pocket the rest.

Not bad for a policy I only pay $550 a year for.

Wow ! that is indeed a big increase ! :shock:

You think they'd want to start making houses out of concrete blocks there !

(our home insurance is pricey due to being a fairly large manufactured home as not all companies will cover manufactured homes)

Now I see houses being built out of steel around here and other fire proof materials. Brick and cinder block house are scarce probably because of earthquakes. Cylinder block is just ugly .

If it’s anything like here in Michigan, half the state is driving uninsured. With some ins co.’s if you just inquire about making a claim, they raise your rates. I have to insure auto and homeowners insurance with separate companies to get the best deal.

Thank God my wife and I have never ever had to file a claim, our frustration is with companies that want to raise your premiums regardless of having a good driving record and no claims.

Being on a fixed income any money I can save anywhere helps me out. I have checked several sites that claim they could save me car insurance and none came close to what I pay now. Same with my home insurance.

That's great, hopefully they keep your rates close to where they are, we will see 6 months from now if Progressive keeps our rates the same or tries what USAA did and raise rates regardless of no claims.

Cheap is great, but what it all comes down to is will they pay the claim.

Since we have never ever had to file a claim (again, Thank God !) our auto insurance has been merely to satisfy the state requirement to drive a vehicle on the road.

Seems like if you check reviews for insurance companies people seem much more likely to write a review if they had a negative experience and you might rarely see a review from those who are satsified, so please note: I can not vouch for Progressive as far as how well they satisfy claims, only that we got a really good rate.

FACT!

We had 100 mph winds a couple of weeks ago and I had roof damage, some shingles lost, 2 windows broken and 10' of wooden picket fence blown down. My adjuster was out last week and told me they will pay to have my entire roof done, all of my southern fence, about 35', and the two windows. He actually told me if I have a friend that can do the work, I can pocket the rest.

Not bad for a policy I only pay $550 a year for.

That is really super !!!!! :thumbsup:

I am guessing redoing an entire roof is rather pricy so sounds like your insurance was a really big help !

Now I see houses being built out of steel around here and other fire proof materials. Brick and cinder block house are scarce probably because of earthquakes. Cylinder block is just ugly .

Good idea, not that any structure might be totally damage proof, but make homes in such a way that it would have a much better chance of surviving.

....as far as cinder block, maybe cover it with a fire-proof facing that looks nice.

They have been great. 10 years ago we had a hail storm. My insurance called me up and told me they were sure I had hail damage and sent me a check to reroof my entire house. My premium never changed.

They have been great. 10 years ago we had a hail storm. My insurance called me up and told me they were sure I had hail damage and sent me a check to reroof my entire house. My premium never changed.

WOW ! :shock: THEY called you up ? now that is service ! ....and that they never raised the premium is a real bonus !

Back
Top Bottom