Social security and Medicare recipients may find this info helpful

Thanks tnsharpshooter.

The only good thing about having such a small income from social security is qualifying for Medicaid. Because both the wife & I are disabled and can't work, and both live off my social security only, we pay $0 for Part B & Part D Medicare.

I feel sorry for those having to rely on Medicare. Luckily, I have the VA and Tri-care for life.

Steve

Thanks tnsharpshooter.

The only good thing about having such a small income from social security is qualifying for Medicaid. Because both the wife & I are disabled and can't work, and both live off my social security only, we pay $0 for Part B & Part D Medicare.

You are welcome. I learned some things from the video too. I am too young still for social security.
I’ll have to sign up for Medicare part b eventually And pay for it.
But luckily I have tricare.

:tiphat::tiphat: Right on. Just think of the interest you could have earned on it for that time, instead of having to "loan" it to Uncle Sam! :shock:

I can go to the social security site and see I have paid in $144,000 over my 52 years of paying in. Imagine if that would have been put in a savings account? Now my wife & I are expected to live our "golden years" on $1,400 a month.

I'm currently in the process of signing up for SS and Medicare. I plan on getting the AARP supplement.

If anyone knows any "gotchas", let me know. I'm new to this.

-- Tom, turning 65 in October

I'm currently in the process of signing up for SS and Medicare. I plan on getting the AARP supplement.

If anyone knows any "gotchas", let me know. I'm new to this.

-- Tom, turning 65 in October

Supplements are fine if you're in good health, don't have any medical issues, or go to the doctor very often. I went with a Plan G because of my COPD & I take a lot of prescriptions. Much cheaper for me.

Medicare Supplement plans are standardized. This means no matter which company you choose to enroll with, all plan benefits are the same across carriers. However, making sure you enroll with a reputable company is just as important as finding the right plan. You want to be sure your carrier has a history of paying claims properly, providing great customer service, and low rate increases over time.

Good source of info. https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement/medicare

Every time the Social Security benefit goes up, Medicare goes up too.

Yes, and because I also have a pension, my Medicare increases have been more that the Social Security increases so my net "take home" has gotten smaller each time.

And don't get me started on the cost of my prescription medicines. They have increased 50% or more this year. Can't wait for Medicare getting the go ahead and negotiate prices with big pharma, just as the VA has been doing for years. :mad:

Yes, and because I also have a pension, my Medicare increases have been more that the Social Security increases so my net "take home" has gotten smaller each time.

And don't get me started on the cost of my prescription medicines. They have increased 50% or more this year. Can't wait for Medicare getting the go ahead and negotiate prices with big pharma, just as the VA has been doing for years. :mad:

"Can't wait for Medicare getting the go ahead and negotiate prices with big pharma"

I totally agree!

I take Trelegy for my COPD and they want $700 a month. Give me a break. On social security, I'm expected to pay that just so I can breathe? If not for having a Part D & Plan G I be out of luck. The way it is I pay $3 for this $700 medication. Tell me who's making all that cash.

I have a pension but my social security increases are larger than the rising cost of Medicare so at least I do get an increase. Fortunately at age 76 I have no need for meds.

Thank you tnsharpshooter,

It will be interesting to see how they handle this. I don't even get the average amount of Social Security, and Part B supplement is outrageous, but it covers everything.

The guy in the video didn't mention what may happen to our Medicare payments since so many people on Medicare have been off'ed the planet by the nursing homes and hospitals giving the wrong treatment for the cv. Plus the experimental jabs have caused so many to develop serious health problems including some who are now 6' under. My Dad was one of those statistics. It's all a mess.

You know what it so sad.
Mainstream media should be talking about this.
Many seniors don’t do Facebook, YouTube etc.
We have a lot of seniors in USA.
Media seems don’t Give a hoot about them.

Truth be told.
Every mainstream media channel should have a time slot weekly for 30 minutes at least taking about seniors benefits like Medicare, social security, etc.
Yeah and the 55 plus crowd would watch too. They too will eventually be 62 plus someday.

Crazy ain’t it. Think about it. Some here are getting (helpful and maybe crucial) info on a metal detecting forum. Involving Medicare and social security.

You know what it so sad.
Mainstream media should be talking about this.
Many seniors don’t do Facebook, YouTube etc.
We have a lot of seniors in USA.
Media seems don’t Give a hoot about them.

Times have changed. When I was young, the elderly naturally was the #1 concern for the younger people. Today they get treated as a drag on society. The average social security income is $1,600 a month. Take $200 a month for Medicare Part B & D and you try and live on $1,400 a month. Just my utilities are $1,200 a month. That leaves $200 a month for my wife & I live on to buy gas, food, and phone.

We had our water main break last week and flooded the basement. Thank God a friend of mine's brother came and was able to fix it.

Being prepared with a second income, ROTH etc. is good, but this was never taught in school. When I was young the kids took care of the elderly. I am the first in my family to retire so I had no advice on how to prepare. My family just worked until they died. My golden years have been a real challenge so far.

Last edited:
When I was young the kids took care of the elderly. .

The problem is that wages haven't kept up and us young people are barely making enough money to take care of ourselves, much less our parents too.

The problem is that wages haven't kept up and us young people are barely making enough money to take care of ourselves, much less our parents too.

I remember as a kid that my Grandparents needed some house work and painting. All the relatives got together and had an outdoor gathering, food & all, as the younger people worked on the house and repainted it. It wasn't about money, it was about family helping family.

When I first bought my house years ago it needed a roof. My brother's families got together and all came over for a get together and they tore off my old roof and put on a new one. We supplied lunch. It wasn't about money, but family helping family.

Those days seem to be gone.

I remember as a kid that my Grandparents needed some house work and painting. All the relatives got together and had an outdoor gathering, food & all, as the younger people worked on the house and repainted it. It wasn't about money, it was about family helping family.

When I first bought my house years ago it needed a roof. My brother's families got together and all came over for a get together and they tore off my old roof and put on a new one. We supplied lunch. It wasn't about money, but family helping family.

Those days seem to be gone.

Thats kind of my point though, money is the root of the issue. If I have to work seven days a week at a low wage to barely support my family and keep my head above water, where am I supposed to find the extra time and money to roof/paint houses for free for my friends and family? Its not young people not wanting to help, its that it is physically impossible for many of us to do it. Many people are struggling to keep a roof over their own heads because of low wages. When you are in that situation, devoting a weekend of free labor to friends and relatives is not really an option. Its like what they tell people in rescue situations, you need to make sure the situation is safe for yourself before you go in a try to save others. Otherwise you will just have two people that need help.

Back
Top Bottom