Hello from central Ohio

Paul Kersey

Hello everyone! Just joined the forum. Thanks for having me. I've been away from detecting for awhile. I don't even remember what model I had. I've been looking at all these new models and I'm overwhelmed! I'm looking for one that will find gold, silver, and meteorites. Also gold and silver coins. Relics too, but not as much. Also one that the coil is submersible in a few feet of water. I'm looking to stay around the $500-600 limit. Also, I've been hearing about counterfeit detectors? Steer me clear of those. This looks like a good forum and I'm looking forward to meeting some new friends and learn a lot. Thanks!

Welcome from NJ

Several machines fit (most of) the parameters you've listed.

Nokta Makro Simplex + - roughly $339 (includes wireless headphones). Waterproof to 10 feet (entire machine can be dunked - but headphones are NOT waterproof).

Nokta Makro Legend - roughly $635. Simultaneous frequency machine. Waterproof. Includes wireless headphones. Latest machine on the market - so not a lot of user experiences available to study yet.

Minelab Vanquish - 3 versions (340, 440, 540) starting around $200 and going up to about $350 or so. Simultaneous machines, but not waterproof. You can dunk the coils, but not the control box.

Minelab Equinox 600 - roughly $650. Simultaneous frequency machine. Waterproof. Some complaints about build quality and leaking issues. Performance is generally very highly rated.

XP ORX - new would be right at your high end financially. Used should be within your budget easily. Not really ideal for hunting in the water (a water kit is sold) since the wireless signal can't go through the water (without the water kit). Lightest machine on the market. Pure joy to swing. Fantastic in the iron. Coils are expensive, but amazing. For the types of hunting you're planning to do, I'd look for the 9 inch hf coil, or the elliptical hf coil.

Other potential considerations...

Nokta Makro Anfibio Multi - a good used Anfibio would likely be in your budget. Selectable frequency machine. Built like a tank. Lots of coil options. Waterproof to 16 feet.

Nokta Makro multi Kruzer - a good used Kruzer should be within your budget parameters. Selectable frequency machine. Lots of coil options. Waterproof to 16 feet.

Assuming your soil isn't too mineralized and you won't be hunting in salt water - I'd probably lean more toward the Simplex. That would leave enough in your budget to buy a pinpointer.

As far as I know, all coils are submersible. When you say "a few feet of water", that indicates you need a totally waterproof detector.

Knowing what I know now, I'd buy a Garrett ATPro.

ETA: Don't buy gear from places like ebay, buy from a reputable dealer.

Welcome from:

Clyde, TX which is where I am now but preparing to move

Ogden, UT area where I am moving to

Wells, NV where I will be June 15th to 19th for our Welcome-To-Hunt Outing, where anyone is welcome to join us hunting at least four productive ghost towns. We have had 15 to 25 people attend each of the first bakers-dozen Outings and were up to 20 so far planning to make this next one. Most have come from Western states, but also some from Alaska, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Ohio and New Mexico.

This is our 14th WTHO since 2015, and while some of the old coins, trade tokens and neat artifacts were found with a SMF detector, the vast majority was with a good Single-Frequency detector, most being a then current production model or a decent, proven unit that had been discontinued. Being 'New'
doesn't always mean better. There isn't a 'perfect' detector made to cover all our needs. There are, however, a lot of good detectors out there depending on our needs.

I just started my 58th year detecting the first of this month, and I had 9 detectors / 7 models, but bought a brand new Fisher F75+ to get the month going. New, but not one of the "just introduced" detectors, just a multi-featured detector that is easy to use and make adjustments and has a lot of affordable accessory coils available.

If you are looking for something in the under $500 price range, I'll add the Garrett Apex to the suggestion list. An SMF with 4 selectable Single-Frequencies and both of mine have been performing quite well since their introduction.

Be patient and shop around, e-mail folks and ask questions before you purchase. And if you can join us in Wells Nevada in June, you can check out several detectors as I'll show and explain mine and I always have two or three as loaners to use.

Welcome back to Friendly MD Forums, my favorite place to visit other than my own Forums.

Monte

Welcome aboard! Buy from a sponsor on this website and you'll get a great price and not have to worry about counterfeit detectors. I've had excellent experiences with Jeff @ Quality Metal Detectors.

Welcome from NJ

Several machines fit (most of) the parameters you've listed.

Nokta Makro Simplex + - roughly $339 (includes wireless headphones). Waterproof to 10 feet (entire machine can be dunked - but headphones are NOT waterproof).

Nokta Makro Legend - roughly $635. Simultaneous frequency machine. Waterproof. Includes wireless headphones. Latest machine on the market - so not a lot of user experiences available to study yet.

Minelab Vanquish - 3 versions (340, 440, 540) starting around $200 and going up to about $350 or so. Simultaneous machines, but not waterproof. You can dunk the coils, but not the control box.

Minelab Equinox 600 - roughly $650. Simultaneous frequency machine. Waterproof. Some complaints about build quality and leaking issues. Performance is generally very highly rated.

XP ORX - new would be right at your high end financially. Used should be within your budget easily. Not really ideal for hunting in the water (a water kit is sold) since the wireless signal can't go through the water (without the water kit). Lightest machine on the market. Pure joy to swing. Fantastic in the iron. Coils are expensive, but amazing. For the types of hunting you're planning to do, I'd look for the 9 inch hf coil, or the elliptical hf coil.

Other potential considerations...

Nokta Makro Anfibio Multi - a good used Anfibio would likely be in your budget. Selectable frequency machine. Built like a tank. Lots of coil options. Waterproof to 16 feet.

Nokta Makro multi Kruzer - a good used Kruzer should be within your budget parameters. Selectable frequency machine. Lots of coil options. Waterproof to 16 feet.

Assuming your soil isn't too mineralized and you won't be hunting in salt water - I'd probably lean more toward the Simplex. That would leave enough in your budget to buy a pinpointer.

I will agree with everything you posted especially on the Simplex Plus if you look around you can find the Simplex plus which includes the wireless headphones and comes with the 9.5 x 5 inch coil for $339.15 you just have to do a internet search

Wecome Paul! - from a fellow 'buckeye',, 2 cents here/ just buy one you feel confidence in from researching using/results from other users, Youtube can help,, Alot of good choices nowadays,,Buy from a sponser on here to keep it safe,, I'tll either end up in the closet, or you'll become an 'addicted crazed digging maniac' and want to up-grade eventually!😎Anyhoo,, Good Luck to ya!!
Later, M

Back
Top Bottom