Give me Liberty and give me Depth

It's not beyond the capabilities of any top manufacturer to come within narrow margins compared to their competitors.

I freakin love this guy! He talks my language of science, and knows the science and technology behind it all.

The only "magical technology" that's different in the top line detectors we often talk about, is the end users imagination. Imagination will always make your detector perform better than the other guys detector.

I don't even know where all this "dig it all" craziness started. It's one of those illogical things that make no sense, but illogical people keep repeating it, and worse, they tell that to the newbies who post that they are sick of digging junk. In other words, the answer these "dig it all people" give to those newbies that are sick of digging junk, is to dig more junk (insert world's largest facepalm).

Dig it all is especially smart for newbies just beginning, to learn the hobby and the machine TIDs. The veterans who have a good permission on any historical site should finish the time there by digging it all too. Using that technique in public parks and such is where I draw the line.

I freakin love this guy! He talks my language of science, and knows the science and technology behind it all.

The only "magical technology" that's different in the top line detectors we often talk about, is the end users imagination. Imagination will always make your detector perform better than the other guys detector.

Haha, honestly detector companies must love these people who claim a newly released detector is 25% deeper. Builds the hype and fear of missing out, which strongly compels people to buy things.

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely one of those suckers who buys every top tier detector in hopes of finding just one more extra target. But when I buy a detector, I can at least acknowledge it is because I have a problem, and not because I think it will perform leaps and bounds better.

I quit chasing that rainbow after the Equinox 800. Not that it or these new detectors are no good, I think they are amazing, but there just hasn't been a realistic upgrade to depth in over 20 years.

I haven't tried the Legend or the Deus II, but I've tested the 800 and watched enough videos to see what I needed to see.

with a post hole digger I can dig a 15" to 20" hole.

with my Lesche shovel, not so easy. It seems that you have to widen the circumference of the top of the hole to go deeper. Unfortunately with most deep silver you have to dig below the 5" - 6" clad level.

Then you throw in the standard mixture of rocks and roots it gets even more difficult to dig deep holes.

Any hints on digging deeper holes will be appreciated.

with a post hole digger I can dig a 15" to 20" hole.

with my Lesche shovel, not so easy. It seems that you have to widen the circumference of the top of the hole to go deeper. Unfortunately with most deep silver you have to dig below the 5" - 6" clad level.

Then you throw in the standard mixture of rocks and roots it gets even more difficult to dig deep holes.

Any hints on digging deeper holes will be appreciated.

Could be the dirt? In our city park, the topsoil goes down about 6". Same with the roots of course. If you cut a plug down to 6" you get a clean plug of grass and all that is left is dirt. You can mess that dirt all you want and as long as you put it back in the hole and put the plug back in a 12" hole looks pretty much like a 6" hole. I believe even a 18" hole would be the same.

I quit chasing that rainbow after the Equinox 800. Not that it or these new detectors are no good, I think they are amazing, but there just hasn't been a realistic upgrade to depth in over 20 years.

I haven't tried the Legend or the Deus II, but I've tested the 800 and watched enough videos to see what I needed to see.

The Nox was a game changer. Technologically speaking, the Legend and D2 are copies of the Nox.

With every new release comes the hope of better depth performance. I wonder how it can be achieved and remain stable. Seems to me if you boost the gain to hit a coin a foot deep you are boosting the gain to hit every micro piece of metal six inches deep. Little micro pieces of foil or every micro piece of siding. Digging deeper holes in my mind means digging more junk holes as well. There needs to be a balance. More depth? I'll take a detector that keeps me from digging as many junk holes as I dig now. Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to dig it all?

Think a little bigger Digalicious. Dig it all works really well in some situations where targets are more spread out, most “good” targets are really deep, for small gold prospecting with a detector and for any more mineralized beach detecting where any target reads as iron. In those situations not digging as much as possible will mean missed opportunities.

Think a little bigger Digalicious. Dig it all works really well in some situations where targets are more spread out, most “good” targets are really deep, for small gold prospecting with a detector and for any more mineralized beach detecting where any target reads as iron. In those situations not digging as much as possible will mean missed opportunities.

It all depends on your trash tolerance.

For those who have been swinging a detector long enough, you notice American-made detectors seem to be trying to follow those across the pond. Some 20 years ago the top popular detectors made in America were quiet as a mouse for the most part. To get the best depth you had to turn up the sensitivity and other functions, but you ended up with what was called "over saturation" or chatter. Almost every detector today has chatter. You hear it on the videos and they always say they're "getting EMI" when in fact that is the norm.

They can be in their own backyard and claim the chatter is from EMI. Well hell, we hunt backyards all the time. The chatter comes from the factory settings that now have been craked up, to claim greater depth, and cause a constant chatter. As I said, there hasn't been a notable increase in depth for 20+ years, they just crank everything to the point of being unstable. Personally I kind of miss that light steady hum of the threshold and only change due to something under the coil.

Personally, I think we American detectorists are trying to follow the European detectorists. Our soil here in America is quite different and our detectors used to be different. We used far more brass than bronze, and not near as much iron litters our soil.

What ever happened to PI technology? I know at one time they were saying Pulse Induction was the future of metal detectors if they could just get the discrimination part worked out. I would have thought by now they could figure out a detector that could at least tell the difference between gold & aluminum.

Detector,

The future of metal detecting is the ability to see an outline of the target. All else is just marketing nonsense.

Nokta is working on it with the Invenio, but they need to get the price down, and the resolution up.

Detector,

The future of metal detecting is the ability to see an outline of the target. All else is just marketing nonsense.

Nokta is working on it with the Invenio, but they need to get the price down, and the resolution up.

That would be so cool. I was excited when Garrett was talking an "imaging" technology, but nothing seems to have come from it.

About a third of a century ago Garrett had treasure talk. It drove users insane. I hope the imaging is better.

Also about 40 years ago Minelab was introducing BBS technology. Quite a few of us consider it still the best option for our desired hunting.

At least manufacturers have kept a few YouTube snake oil salesmen happy with their delusion of being relevant.:p

I don't even know where all this "dig it all" craziness started. It's one of those illogical things that make no sense, but illogical people keep repeating it, and worse, they tell that to the newbies who post that they are sick of digging junk. In other words, the answer these "dig it all people" give to those newbies that are sick of digging junk, is to dig more junk (insert world's largest facepalm).

I think the "dig all" applies to guys hunting gold rings in parks. Does not seem to be any technology from any manufacturer for cherry picking gold rings in junky parks. That is where "dig all" is mostly and correctly used.

Back
Top Bottom