Love Tokens??

Pete e

Elite Member
I am not sure if you get them in the US, but Love tokens were found bent into an "s" shape, and were said to be given by a gent to his sweet heart..

Very often they were made from silver sixpences that had been polished to a blank before being bent. Other times, copper coins were used...the practice seems to have started in the late 1500 's and reached its peak in the late 1600s/ early 1700s, with William III sixpences.

I have found several of these love tokens, mostly silver but a couple copper, so thought nothing much when I found the one below earlier today..

It's made from a copper halfpenny, probably a George 3rd from the late 1700's, so not particularly old..When I got it home, I cleaned it off, and found it had been stamped with "E P", probably the initials of the sweetheart it was intended for, making this a little more unusual and adding a sort of personal dimension to the find....

416-BD32-A-AC4-B-4-C8-C-8203-3-BE214-D4-DA2-B.jpg

Congrats on the find. We have them in the US also. I’ve heard of the bent ones like yours. I’ve found one so far. Made from an 1887 seated dime. The story I found was that they were popular at fairs to have them made and given to someone they loved, the personal touch on found items makes it extra special finding one.
4280005ed6895b8fa21b9d90d5925da1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the find. We have them in the US also. I’ve heard of the bent ones like yours. I’ve found one so far. Made from an 1887 seated dime. The story I found was that they were popular at fairs to have them made and given to someone they loved, the personal touch on found items makes it extra special finding one.

Nice find! I have not seen the "machine made" live tokens over here, but similar machines were (still are for that matter) often located at tourist venues and set up to produce "souvenir tokens" although I think strictly speaking, defacing coinage like that is technically still illegal here in the UK..

Im not sure if it qualifies but i found a silver half that was sanded down and cut into the shape if a heart. When i found it, i thought it was a worn dog tag and tossed it in my bag. When i cleaned it up, i noticed the reeded edge.

Attachments

• IMG_20190301_111743.jpg
    IMG_20190301_111743.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20190301_111757.jpg
    IMG_20190301_111757.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20190301_111729.jpg
    IMG_20190301_111729.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 224
Good post Pete. For people that may otherwise have simply thought they were finding a warped coin.

And grf1868 is right: They get found in the USA too. Albeit extremely rare. A buddy of mine found one in Calif. years ago. I forget what kind of coin it was made of.

Im not sure if it qualifies but i found a silver half that was sanded down and cut into the shape if a heart. When i found it, i thought it was a worn dog tag and tossed it in my bag. When i cleaned it up, i noticed the reeded edge.

I rather like that..I wonder the maker intended to do more work to, or would it have been hired as is?

Good post Pete. For people that may otherwise have simply thought they were finding a warped coin.

And grf1868 is right: They get found in the USA too. Albeit extremely rare. A buddy of mine found one in Calif. years ago. I forget what kind of coin it was made of.

I suppose it shouldn't surprise me they appear in the US, as America must have been a melting pot of a wide range of imported traditions and cultural influences...

I suppose it shouldn't surprise me they appear in the US, as America must have been a melting pot of a wide range of imported traditions and cultural influences...

My buddy researched his oddly bent coin, and came to the conclusion as your post here. I thought he was nuts. And that it was simply an oddly bent damaged coin. But your post confirms that it is a genuine purpose-done thing.

Back
Top Bottom