East Thompson Train Station

Bioheat1969

Since I'm going to be spending quite a bit of time this summer scanning this site, I figured I'd keep it all together on one thread.

The background of the site:

Thompson, Connecticut, was the site of one of the most horrific railway accidents in American history. The catastrophe claimed the lives of two railway workers, injured hundreds of passengers, and remains the only accident in US history to involve four trains.

Early on the morning of December 4, 1891, a railway dispatcher in Putnam, Connecticut, faced a dilemma. He had three trains needing to use the local eastbound track toward Boston. The first was the slow No. 212 freight train. Scheduled to depart after it were the Boston-bound Long Island and Eastern States Express and, also, the Norwich Steamboat Express. In an era of intense competition in the railroad industry, the focus of most railway operators was on getting passengers to their destinations as quickly as possible. On the morning of December 4, this meant finding a way to get the two express passenger trains around the lumbering freight train.

With no traffic coming on the westbound track, the Putnam dispatcher opted to allow the No. 212 freight to temporarily proceed east on the westbound track until the two passenger trains passed it, at which point it would switch back to the eastbound track. Unfortunately for everyone involved, no one bothered to notify the railroad crew at the East Thompson Railway Station.

Taking advantage of the lack of traffic, the crew at East Thompson were busy on the westbound track coupling cars for the Southbridge Freight. To the crew’s horror, at 6:40 am, the No. 212 Freight suddenly emerged from the fog around the sharp corner at East Thompson Station and slammed into the engine of the Southbridge Freight. The crash destroyed both engines, but there were no fatalities. The most urgent dilemma was that one of the jackknifed railcars landed on the eastbound section of the track.

picture.php

Minutes later, the eastbound Long Island and Eastern States Express came around the corner at 50 mph and smashed into the jackknifed railcar. The engine of the Express spun off the track, flew over an embankment, and crashed into a telegraph pole, killing engineer Harry Tabor and fireman Jeremiah Fitzgerald

picture.php

Amid piles of the twisted metal and the cries of the injured, crews and survivors tried to grapple with the unimaginable scene before them. Suddenly, someone remembered the expected arrival of the Norwich Steamboat Express. Officials sent a flagman running down the track to warn the Norwich train—but it was too late. It, too, came barreling around the corner and at 6:45 am plowed into the back of the Long Island and Eastern States Express—setting it ablaze.

Despite the violent nature of the accident, Tabor and Fitzgerald somehow emerged as the only fatalities. Hundreds were injured, however, and the accident tore up roughly 500 yards of track and caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage. The devastation proved so extensive, in fact, that the proprietors never bothered to replace the track, instead choosing to reroute local rail traffic around the scene. Authorities eventually razed the station facilities in East Thompson and today the rail line serves as a nature trail for hiking and other recreational activities.

picture.php

This is what research is all about. It will put a "face" on the finds you'll hopefully eventually be bagging. Good job.

So a little of my history with this site, I grew up just down the road from the station, my parents house is where the two buildings below #8 on the map. One of those buildings (the larger darker of the two) is my paerents house. In this thread I'm exploring the site of #5 o n the map, the Passenger station. which was burned (raised) to the ground after the accident.

That station once looked like this:

picture.php

This is the site today:

picture.php

So I started my little adventure last week, and got off to a good start with a short hunt, finding plenty of nails and miscellaneous metal bits:

picture.php

But culminating the hunt with a nice little find:

picture.php

An Indian Head Penny.

picture.php

After a week of work, I made plans to go back, it started with raking out some of the leaves, and marking out a grid with chalk dust:

picture.php

picture.php

Then I started scanning, again finding a ton of nails, roofing slate and a surprising large blob of melted glass (remember they burned the station down, must've been windows), and various metal fixtures (I'll post photos of those later). After about 3 hours of careful scanning and digging, I got a nice bright tone, and dug up this:

picture.php

After taking it home and giving it a quick clean up, it's another Indian Head Penny, someone must've shot it.

After I found this, large black clouds started rolling in and it started lightning and thunder. I decided being under trees was probably not where I wanted to be and decided it was time to double time it out. As I continue cleaning and scanning the site, I'll keep posting on this thread.

This is what research is all about. It will put a "face" on the finds you'll hopefully eventually be bagging. Good job.

Thanks Tom, your kind words are appreciated, I'm using this opportunity to fine tune my skills with my machine, compared with the Radio Shack one I had in the 70's it's night and day.

Thanks Tom, your kind words are appreciated, I'm using this opportunity to fine tune my skills with my machine, compared with the Radio Shack one I had in the 70's it's night and day.

You're ahead of me in researching! Nice job, the only indian head penny I've found is from CRH'ing... Keep it up!

Josh

P.S. You cleaned that IHP nice and good... cleanest I've seen! :good:

You're ahead of me in researching! Nice job, the only indian head penny I've found is from CRH'ing... Keep it up!

Josh

P.S. You cleaned that IHP nice and good... cleanest I've seen! :good:

Thanks Josh, warm soapy water and a soft brass wire brush, does wonders. What's CRH'ing?

Being on the East Coast really helps finding the IHP's they really are kind of common, at least around my area.

And it's crazy how serious we md'rs get with the photo-history, the gridding, the documenting, etc..... It's almost as if we're reading an archaeologist's study paper ! Oh ... wait .... we don't dig our targets with tweezers and brushes. :laughing:

Great way to start the thread with the history of the site. I’ve known about the crash but never any of the details. Always enjoy learning some local history. Looks like there’s enough land there to keep you coming back for years. Good luck. I look forward to keeping up with this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Josh, warm soapy water and a soft brass wire brush, does wonders. What's CRH'ing?

Being on the East Coast really helps finding the IHP's they really are kind of common, at least around my area.

Oh, CRH'ing is Coin Roll Hunting shortened. :D

Pretty sure that KT told you about it, but it's when you get some rolls of coins and you look through them for rare varieties and such.

Josh

Great way to start the thread with the history of the site. I’ve known about the crash but never any of the details. Always enjoy learning some local history. Looks like there’s enough land there to keep you coming back for years. Good luck. I look forward to keeping up with this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks grf, I always like learning the history of places and events, so I thought I'd share that here. Unfortunately the Historical Society in Thompson wants to make a replica station as a museum right on top of this site, so the Station Site will only be available for a limited time before the bulldoze it an pour concrete. The "artifacts" that I dig up, I will probably donate to that museum, the coins I want to keep.

Awesome post! I'll be watching closely as well, Good luck out there!

Thank you very much.

Ok so as promised yesterday's "artifacts":
A large blob of glass as big as the palm of my hand:

picture.php

A small blob of glass, no larger than a golf ball:

picture.php

These two items are the best evidence of the destruction of the Station, in those days the cheapest method of building removal was to burn it down. I witnessed that method as late as 1987, we don't see it used anymore. I would say the station was removed in the very early 70's, as I remember the bridge and the rails being removed when I was 4 or 5 years old, so they probably raised the Station at that time.

The next item I found was this, for lack of a better term, spigot:

picture.php

Then I found these two items right next to each other, but I can't see how the would work together as one is a door plate, the other I have no idea what it is:

picture.php

picture.php

In between these finds I of course found about 10 thousand nails, which I'm just putting them in a small plastic bucket I found on the site as litter.

The last of yesterday's artifacts is my favorite, the shot penny:

picture.php

Here it is cleaned up a bit:

picture.php

You can just make out the headdress of the Indian, so an IHP unable to see the date, as that's where it was shot.

I wonder what today will bring?

That site has a fascinating story. Nice job on the research and the systematic hunt - it's obviously paying off. Looking forward to seeing what other pieces of history you rescue there.

That site has a fascinating story. Nice job on the research and the systematic hunt - it's obviously paying off. Looking forward to seeing what other pieces of history you rescue there.

Thank you, I believe by being systematic in the hunt I will uncover the full story of the site.

Today was a hot sweaty experience in Thompson, I've gotten spoiled, 2 visits, 2 coins, no coins today, but I did find this unusual cast iron flag(?) shaped item, it looks vaguely familiar, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. I used some of my blue chalk dust to try and highlight the design engraved into it.

picture.php

I also found about a gross of nails of all sizes, an iron ring, a large square nut, and a VERY old tin can, you can make out the triangular holes from the church-key that was used to open it. I left my pin pointer in the photo to give some sense of scale on the nails.

picture.php

can't your machine knock out nails ? Or are those nails that your non-discriminating pinpointer is getting in the same hole with conductive targets ?

can't your machine knock out nails ? Or are those nails that your non-discriminating pinpointer is getting in the same hole with conductive targets ?

Tom just about every inch of this place has nails. But I'm still learning my machine, so I may not have it set up correctly for full discrimination. The pointer is next to useless in any hole I dig because there are so many nails. I can literally reach into a random hole and come out with a hand full of nails. Some of the nails are nearly as large as the pointer, and I get a very big signal from my X-terra, smaller nails I almost never get a signal for, but they still come out of the hole.

Back
Top Bottom