Excalibur Shovel?

Never tried an excalibur, only because the shovel I currently use has withstood the test of time and strength. Here's what I'm using:
https://www.predatortools.com/products/model-55-barracuda
Its 2" shorter than the excalibur, which may not seem like alot, but when in the field you will notice. I'm 6' 2" and the predator shovel just barely drags across the turf when I'm holding it by my side. The lesche feels like a toy when I hold it now, it's much smaller than the predator/excalibur. All are good shovels, I guess it would depend mostly on your size, preference, and hunting locations. Good luck out there!

40" is too long. You are better off with a 31" Lesche at a cheaper price.

https://usadetectors.com/lesche_digging_tools/t-handle-31"

Steve

+1. I use a 29 inch one (hence, my height and age), but 40 inch is another 11 inches to an already eye-turning shovel...

I use one from the company raidius root slayer. Not saying lesche is a bad brand, I just couldn't dig with a 31 inch shovel... I had to do the "soldier walk to pull off that. :lol:

Josh

I have the Excalibur Sir Kay with the D handle and love it! It is the standard length but I wish they had the 40" at the time of my purchase. The XLT would be great with the extra inches, as I am over 6' tall. Maybe another purchase is in my future?

The shovel has handled everything that I have thrown at it and does the job quite well! It is a little heavier than some and it is justified as it is built to be very durable. It does not have any blade wear which many of the lighter ones manufactured have after a couple of years. I have used it a lot and when compared to a friends from another maker, he has lost almost an inch off the point of his shovel from wear. I would buy it again if needed.

I have an Arthur on the way. I hope it's as tough as looks because I've broken a couple cheapies already in the short time I've been detecting. Lesson learned.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am 5' 11" and have used the 18" Sampson, and went thru a period of using a 36" inch shovels. Those are just too long IMO. I ran with the 18" Sampsons for years before and never got on my knees on the ground with that. I guess I just don't get needing a long shovel unless you are an RA victim.

The only shovel I have not broken is predator tools.... not sure about this one you mention. I will say i have been though almost every big name brand though(and a few lowes/home depot specials), and broke all of em.

My Arthur showed up yesterday. Casey is easy to talk to and he shipped quickly. I'm impressed with the quality and look forward to using it. Mine is the powder coated version.
bfb07e6c67b473015387375d4175e079.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

40" is too long. You are better off with a 31" Lesche at a cheaper price.
Steve

+1. I use a 29 inch one (hence, my height and age), but 40 inch is another 11 inches to an already eye-turning shovel...

I use one from the company raidius root slayer. Not saying lesche is a bad brand, I just couldn't dig with a 31 inch shovel... I had to do the "soldier walk to pull off that. :lol:

Josh

You guys must be hobbits! :lol:

I am a shade over six foot, and a 40" spade does me nicely...Not sure how it's supposed to be too long? If it were too much shorter, I'd be hunched over like Quasimodo while digging!

I am 5' 11" and have used the 18" Sampson, and went thru a period of using a 36" inch shovels. Those are just too long IMO. I ran with the 18" Sampsons for years before and never got on my knees on the ground with that. I guess I just don't get needing a long shovel unless you are an RA victim.

I have both an 18" and a 31" Sampson shovel. Since buying the 18" I haven't used the 31". I have talked to park employees wearing it and they have never said anything. You just don't notice it. Any shovel can be broken if abused. I saw a guy pulling on an expensive shovel in a park. I was just about to ask his friend how he kept from breaking it when it did.
Mini 18.jpg

Back
Top Bottom