GTA, GTI, VDI, Target ID, do we really need them

steevo

Hello All....
I am a relative newbie to the hobby and thought I'd propose this question.....

If it is best practice to just dig all targets do we really need these numbers, graphs and programmes which seem to be relatively easily fooled by various circumstances and conditions?

Target ID numbers are not terribly accurate from my experience and a single gold ring or coin for example can give several different ID numbers depending on how long it has been in the ground, what angle it is, how deep it is, and the type of soil it is in....

The general opinion seems to be to dig all targets no matter what ,so if this is true do we really need all the target ID and sophisticated programmes with conductivity numbers and all the other things that supposedly tell us whats under the ground?

Would the best machine not just be one that goes deep, gives you manual ground balance, descrimination control, sensitivity control, and accurate pinpointing?

What do you think? I would like to hear others thoughts and opinions....

Steve from NZ

Everyone has there own preference but for me you have hit the nail on the head. For me, the best thing to do with target ID was to ignore it, and if you aren't going to use it, why have it. I have used a lot of detectors over the last 30 years, but I am very happy with my Tejon.

I agree. I have used my dad's Tesoro Eldorado for years, and am now about to buy the Tejon. I prefer to not have all of the extra crap on there. It is just something else to go wrong. I am going to dig everything, regardless of what it says, you know it is not always right. The only way to know for sure is to dig it, so that is what I will do. I am sure the Tejon will serve me just fine.

My detector has no target ID, and I've often wondered the same thing. Everyone seems to advise digging no matter what it says, so I guess I don't see the point of having it... When I upgrade I do not believe I will want something with the target ID feature.

The main reason I asked is that I have both a basic non readout detector (Minelab Musketeer Advantage) and one with Target ID (minelab X-Terra 30) and I was considering buying a minelab explorer XS which is up for sale at a great price.
I was looking at its features and started thinking would they really be of any use seing as opinion seems to be to dig everything regardless. I then started thinking about the target ID on my X-Terra and how I have found it to be reasonably unreliable at best. I actually find the tone ID more useful as low tones are always junk.
We have 2 dollar and 1 dollar coins over here in NZ and when on the surface or just below they do give a constant 32 reading in most conditions. Once they get deeper though they can read anywhere from 24-40 on the target ID reading.
I would imagine that most target ID machines would produce similar results and none could really provide the same information on a target if it was on the surface and then at 6 inches deep. So therefore the only way is to dig all signals.
I also wonder How accurate are the Garret "size" readouts on their GTI units....Does a tin can show as a size D at 2 inches as well as at 8 inches? Does a coin show up as a size B at 2 inches and the same at 8 inches? I would be interested to hear.....

Steve from NZ

Good questions. Don't for get to add ground filtering to that things to have list. The ability to cancel bad ground equals not only better depth, but better ID'ing be it visual(VDI, Graph Icons) or simply tone. Also, faster processing equals finding them goodies masked by junk on slower machines.

Other than gold, I find my target ID to be very trustworthy on targets 5" or less. That is to say when it says penny, nickle, dime or quarter and its 5" or less 90% of the time its right on. Now a nickle and a pulltab give people trouble, but when my DFX has a VDI of 21 and one high graph line, its going to be a nickle.

I do fully agree that none of the visual stuff is worth a crap below 5", but then most of what I find is 5" or less.

It all depends what and where you are hunting,if you are relic hunting or water hunting and are digging all,then it is useless.If you are digging a trashy field or park TID and multi-tone can help you determine what you got ,once you really know your machine,especialy those targets 5" and less.And let me say it's a rare soul who will go to a park carpeted with pulltabs and bottlecaps and dig all targets consitantly.

Great points guys, It is interesting to hear peoples opinions on the subject wheather it be for or against...

And let me say it's a rare soul who will go to a park carpeted with pulltabs and bottlecaps and dig all targets consitantly.

And there lies the problem because you can't discriminate out these items without sacrificing good targets and even if you do, pulltabs in my experience can give off different Target ID's depending on their depth and orientation.

Are there any machines that will, (with any real consistancy), identify pulltabs, bottlecaps and the like at different depths? Does target imageing show an item, say a aluminium can, as a size C at 2 Inches and as a size C at 8 inches or does the size reading change as it gets deeper?? I'd be interested to know

Steve from NZ

Back
Top Bottom